Author Topic: Horn Honking (as a way to try to hook up)  (Read 1829 times)

veronaz

Horn Honking (as a way to try to hook up)
« on: March 26, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »
A female friend has mentioned that she has had a few dates with a man I hadn’t heard about.  Things are going good, and I asked how she met him.  She said she was walking down the street, honked his horn, and pulled up near her.  (This was in a public area, during the day.)

I told her I’m glad it worked out, and she seems happy.  But I also commented that I think a guy honking his horn, pulling up, motioning, etc. is (imo) kinda weird and tacky……also something more in line with what teenagers might do, not a man in his 40s.  If he was that interested/attracted, he could have pulled over, gotten out of the car, and said “Hi, excuse me, but my name is xxxx.  I was wondering if you’d like to have coffee (or whatever).”  From there a conversation could begin or the woman would say “No, thanks” and they would move on.

It’s been a long time since I was approached by a horn-honker.  The last time it happened I was a lot younger, we did chat as I stood outside his car, and we went out a few days later.  Nothing came of it, but he didn’t take rejection well and became a problem.  I’ve also had a few experiences where a man slows down, honks or says something indicating he is interested, I say “No, thanks” or ignore and he moves on.

Friend says maybe my unpleasant experience is coloring my opinion about ways that people try to meet/”hook up”/try to get a date.

Thoughts?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Horn Honking (as a way to try to hook up)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:55:54 PM »
I've never seen this actually happen, or heard of it happening to anyone I know. Pulling up to shout catcalls or insults, sure, but to seriously ask for a real date? No.

MrTango

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 04:59:27 PM »
I'm in your boat on this one.  It's vary tacky.

Jones

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:02:50 PM »
I'd tell him he was mistaken...I may be walking by the street, but that does not make me a street walker. I also would expect no honking, and him getting out of the car for an adult conversation. I would probably still say no, as there's no way the date is based on anything but looks.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 05:54:13 PM »
Yes, tacky, and I am a little shocked your friend stopped to chat with this person! I can see if she already knew him and he honked to say, "Jill! Hey Jill! It's Bob - remember from 9 the grade algebra? How are you? (And so on)." But a "cold call" honking? I would never stop for this! Just smile and go on my way.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 05:55:16 PM »
Wait...this is how men seek out women? This is a normal dating behavior?

And shouldn't he be paying attention to the road, not pretty girls walking alongside it? If a guy honked his horn at me and the pulled up along side me, I'd be briskly walking away and reaching for my pepper spray or cell phone to call for help. Just because it's a busy road in broad daylight doesn't mean he isn't dangerous.

Aside from catcalls and offers to perform various scrabble acts (apparently right there in public I suppose) I've never had this happen. And I don't know any of my friends who have stopped and talked with someone whose honked their horn. In less it's to ask for directions. And even then, I'm careful with how close I get and how much I say. I watch Criminal Minds. Psychopaths are everywhere.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 06:01:59 PM »
My thought is as much as I am not an alarmist, there is no way in hell I would talk to this man other than to tell him to leave me alone.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.