General Etiquette > Dating

Horn Honking (as a way to try to hook up)

(1/2) > >>

veronaz:
A female friend has mentioned that she has had a few dates with a man I hadn’t heard about.  Things are going good, and I asked how she met him.  She said she was walking down the street, honked his horn, and pulled up near her.  (This was in a public area, during the day.)

I told her I’m glad it worked out, and she seems happy.  But I also commented that I think a guy honking his horn, pulling up, motioning, etc. is (imo) kinda weird and tacky……also something more in line with what teenagers might do, not a man in his 40s.  If he was that interested/attracted, he could have pulled over, gotten out of the car, and said “Hi, excuse me, but my name is xxxx.  I was wondering if you’d like to have coffee (or whatever).”  From there a conversation could begin or the woman would say “No, thanks” and they would move on.

It’s been a long time since I was approached by a horn-honker.  The last time it happened I was a lot younger, we did chat as I stood outside his car, and we went out a few days later.  Nothing came of it, but he didn’t take rejection well and became a problem.  I’ve also had a few experiences where a man slows down, honks or says something indicating he is interested, I say “No, thanks” or ignore and he moves on.

Friend says maybe my unpleasant experience is coloring my opinion about ways that people try to meet/”hook up”/try to get a date.

Thoughts?

Yvaine:
I've never seen this actually happen, or heard of it happening to anyone I know. Pulling up to shout catcalls or insults, sure, but to seriously ask for a real date? No.

MrTango:
I'm in your boat on this one.  It's vary tacky.

Jones:
I'd tell him he was mistaken...I may be walking by the street, but that does not make me a street walker. I also would expect no honking, and him getting out of the car for an adult conversation. I would probably still say no, as there's no way the date is based on anything but looks.

TurtleDove:
Yes, tacky, and I am a little shocked your friend stopped to chat with this person! I can see if she already knew him and he honked to say, "Jill! Hey Jill! It's Bob - remember from 9 the grade algebra? How are you? (And so on)." But a "cold call" honking? I would never stop for this! Just smile and go on my way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version