General Etiquette > Life...in general

Using a spare seat on a train

<< < (22/22)

nayberry:
she did nothing that was impolite, she used an empty seat, one you were not using at the time.

citadelle:

--- Quote from: Victim Of Fate on March 31, 2014, 02:30:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: Two Ravens on March 31, 2014, 02:26:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: SingActDance on March 31, 2014, 01:53:57 PM ---I guess I just don't see how being able to see something across an aisle (or out a window) is a hardship.

--- End quote ---

I don't either. No one has the right to "visual calm."

--- End quote ---

Well, there are a lot of things people don't have the "right" to. It's not about rights in that sense, as is the case with almost all etiquette situations, surely? It's about what's polite in this situation. I think that using a free seat situated by someone else is not particularly polite when you are already using a free seat by your own, and that free seat is spacious enough to hold all of your belongings.

--- End quote ---

In your OP, you asked who was in the right. It seems you are now convinced that you were in the right. Are you trying to convince those of us who disagree, or do you truly question who was in the right?

Kaymar:

--- Quote from: nayberry on March 31, 2014, 02:32:32 PM ---she did nothing that was impolite, she used an empty seat, one you were not using at the time.

--- End quote ---

And remember that the OP was asleep when the woman first used the empty seat, so she had no way of knowing there was any "visual calm" being experienced by someone who was unconscious.  This is, however, all starting to go in circles.

Victim Of Fate:

--- Quote from: citadelle on March 31, 2014, 02:37:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: Victim Of Fate on March 31, 2014, 02:30:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: Two Ravens on March 31, 2014, 02:26:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: SingActDance on March 31, 2014, 01:53:57 PM ---I guess I just don't see how being able to see something across an aisle (or out a window) is a hardship.

--- End quote ---

I don't either. No one has the right to "visual calm."

--- End quote ---

Well, there are a lot of things people don't have the "right" to. It's not about rights in that sense, as is the case with almost all etiquette situations, surely? It's about what's polite in this situation. I think that using a free seat situated by someone else is not particularly polite when you are already using a free seat by your own, and that free seat is spacious enough to hold all of your belongings.

--- End quote ---

In your OP, you asked who was in the right. It seems you are now convinced that you were in the right. Are you trying to convince those of us who disagree, or do you truly question who was in the right?

--- End quote ---

Well, as I stated earlier, I asked the question because I wanted to get other people's opinions on the subject. I think it's fair to say that there is a split verdict on this particular issue. I suppose the reason I'm still discussing it is that it feels like some people don't quite get where I'm coming from, which is naturally something that I'd want to remedy. I'm also interested in understanding where people draw the line, hence the reason why I brought up the example of the airplane seats where someone stored a bag on the seat next to you even though they had another free seat next to them.

I think it's an interesting discussion.

cass2591:
I think you just want people to agree with you and as you said, there's a split verdict. Your claim that you "suppose the reason I'm still discussing it is that it feels like some people don't quite get where I'm coming from, which is naturally something that I'd want to remedy" means you want to be right and that's why you won't let it go.

Locked.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version