Wedding Bliss and Blues > Attire

Showing guests what to wear

<< < (2/18) > >>

HannahGrace:

--- Quote from: jmarvellous on March 27, 2014, 01:57:37 PM ---I think it's condescending.

My friend did it on her wedding site, and I felt like a baby who couldn't be trusted to dress myself; given that I didn't have outfits just like the ones posted, I started to question my perfectly appropriate wardrobe choice, too.

People who have questions will ask.

--- End quote ---

Thank you, condescending is precisely the right word and I could not think of it.  I've seen people post things like this on wedding websites and I really wondered why.

JenJay:

--- Quote from: jmarvellous on March 27, 2014, 01:57:37 PM ---I think it's condescending.

My friend did it on her wedding site, and I felt like a baby who couldn't be trusted to dress myself; given that I didn't have outfits just like the ones posted, I started to question my perfectly appropriate wardrobe choice, too.

People who have questions will ask.

--- End quote ---

I agree.

I'm especially not fond of the "not that" photos and descriptions. If I received an invite like that and saw that all of my clothing was deemed inappropriate, I'd just decline rather than risk being gossiped about for having the audacity to show up in a that outfit. I think we can all agree that you don't go to a wedding in dirty jeans and an old t-shirt, but some of the "not that" stuff looked completely fine to me. If I have to work that hard to figure out how not to upset you with my clothes, I'm just gonna stay home.

lakey:
It could look like you don't think your guests know how to dress appropriately. Most guests know how to dress based on the venue, hotel ballroom or banquet hall, church hall, garden wedding, beach. Formal, semi-formal, casual, also give them a pretty good idea. And yes, they should know not to wear high heels to a beach wedding.

Harriet Jones:
Seems condescending to me, too.

nutraxfornerves:
That idea could unfortunately be used to demonstrate that guests are expected to all dress in the same color, or no one can wear the same colors as the wedding party or that all women must wear hats or that all men must wear tuxes, or something else pretty unreasonable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version