Author Topic: "Stealing" a Baby Name  (Read 32764 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: "Stealing" a Baby Name
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2014, 08:15:02 AM »
I never realised Caitlin was irish and had a different original pronunciation - learn something new everyday hey!   Interesting how that name with it's changed pronunciation has become so common, whereas other irish names have retained their original pronunciation.   Maybe because Caitlin does look so "normal" and easy to pronounce it never occurred to people it wasn't meant to be that way, whereas some other names, such as Siobhan, never look quite "right" e.g. See-Obb-Harn doesn't sound like a "normal" name so even pronounced phonetically it's unlikely to be mutated so frequently.   

Same here I always thought Caitlyn was pronounced "Kate-lynn".

Well, as Corvid said upthread, since about the 80s, Kate-Lynn seems to have taken over, and Kathleen seems to be out of favour in any spelling. Oddly, this was being discussed recently in the UK press with the impending centenary of the birth of Dylan Thomas - it was being pointed out that commentators were referring to his wife as Kate-Lynn whereas she pronounced it Kathleen.

It was also being mentioned that Thomas himself deliberately shifted the pronunciation of his name towards the anglicised Dillon and away from the Welsh Dullan that he had used as a child.

I imagine that my irritation at Kate-Lynn  -  I didn't say it was reasonable,  just that it annoys me  -  was shared previously by some people over the shifts of Evelyn, Sidney, Valentine etc from male to female.

When the Younger Chick was born,  my parents were concerned that we had given him the name of a cartoon character of their youth,  and weren't we worried that he would be teased about it? We had to point out that nobody under 40 had ever heard of that cartoon. Times change (she said with stunning lack of originality.)

If you want a name well provided with traps for the unwary, try Bridget. Brid is a variant in its own right, not just a contraction. It may be pronounced as in bridge, or bride, or breed, or breege, or breesh. Bride, also a name in its own right, may be spelled Bride or Brid, and pronounced with or without the final e. Bridie may be a pet name for Bride or Brid or Bridget, or it may be how she says Bride. Bridget pronounced the way you would expect can be spelled Brigid, or Brighid...

Had our youngest been a girl, we would have gone with Brigid for the name as I wanted an Irish name either way and a friend told me about all these pronunciations.  I expect we may have gone with a phonetic pronunciation and used "Biddy" or Breed as a nickname around the house.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »
Isn't Caitlin the name of mama Stark in Game of Thrones?  And they pronounce it Cat-lynn in the TV show.

Since starting to watch the show, I've had to adjust the pronunciation in my head while reading the books.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

faithlessone

« Reply #197 on: May 05, 2014, 08:48:12 AM »
Isn't Caitlin the name of mama Stark in Game of Thrones?  And they pronounce it Cat-lynn in the TV show.

Since starting to watch the show, I've had to adjust the pronunciation in my head while reading the books.

It's spelt Catelyn, but yes, it's pronounced Cat-lynn, and she gets called Cat.

ETA: Several characters in the books (particularly Ned and Littlefinger) call her Cat - so it's clearly supposed to be pronounced Cat-lynn.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:52:41 AM by faithlessone »

Minmom3

« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
FWIW, I had a friend in the late 60's, in San Francisco -  a classmate (we were 12/13 years old), from the UK (had the accent and all) who spelled her name Caitlin and said it Kate-lynn.  So that shift isn't necessarily a recent one.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2014, 10:28:48 AM »
When the Younger Chick was born,  my parents were concerned that we had given him the name of a cartoon character of their youth,  and weren't we worried that he would be teased about it? We had to point out that nobody under 40 had ever heard of that cartoon. Times change (she said with stunning lack of originality.)

You named your son Alley-Oop?   ;)

tinkytinky

« Reply #200 on: May 06, 2014, 11:07:06 AM »
We didn't find out what we were having with our children, so we always had names for both gender. With oldest DD, I had Andrew for a boy and Alexandra for a girl. My SIL (who professed to never want any children) said we couldn't have Andrew because that was HER name for a boy. No problem. We didn't own the name, and we had a girl so all was well. She then decides that she may as well have children so she had someone to take care of her in her old age (I kid you not, that was exactly what she said.) She did have a boy, named him Andrew and calls him.....Coty.  ;D (if she had not used the name, we would have with one of our sons, but we weren't upset about it.)

with the unusual spellings, I came across one : La-a. Any guesses? Lahay? Lae? La Aye? nope......according to the mom it is pronounced, and I quote: "the dash don't be silent"......yep her name was LaDasha.....so who does that to a child?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2014, 11:48:38 AM »
After a while, those countries where you have to name your child from an approved list don't seem so unreasonable, do they?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2014, 11:55:09 AM »
After a while, those countries where you have to name your child from an approved list don't seem so unreasonable, do they?

*snort*  LOL.  No, they do not.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TeamBhakta

« Reply #203 on: May 06, 2014, 12:40:36 PM »
We didn't find out what we were having with our children, so we always had names for both gender. With oldest DD, I had Andrew for a boy and Alexandra for a girl. My SIL (who professed to never want any children) said we couldn't have Andrew because that was HER name for a boy. No problem. We didn't own the name, and we had a girl so all was well. She then decides that she may as well have children so she had someone to take care of her in her old age (I kid you not, that was exactly what she said.) She did have a boy, named him Andrew and calls him.....Coty.  ;D (if she had not used the name, we would have with one of our sons, but we weren't upset about it.)

with the unusual spellings, I came across one : La-a. Any guesses? Lahay? Lae? La Aye? nope......according to the mom it is pronounced, and I quote: "the dash don't be silent"......yep her name was LaDasha.....so who does that to a child?

That's actually an old, racist joke that's been going around for years. I'm not calling you racist, but just so you know it's origin:
http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

tinkytinky

« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »

That's actually an old, racist joke that's been going around for years. I'm not calling you racist, but just so you know it's origin:

That's funny. Maybe the mom I was dealing with heard the joke, because when the paperwork came across our desks, I know the whole office was trying to figure out how to pronounce it. My coworker had to ask, so we would know how to address the child. Child was lovely and well behaved, but we were bumfuzzled.

daen

« Reply #205 on: May 06, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »

That's funny. Maybe the mom I was dealing with heard the joke, because when the paperwork came across our desks, I know the whole office was trying to figure out how to pronounce it. My coworker had to ask, so we would know how to address the child. Child was lovely and well behaved, but we were bumfuzzled.

You actually saw the paperwork? Cool.  8) That's totally different from hearing it from that great authority, A-Friend-of-A-Friend.

I'd love to see a screenshot of the paperwork, just as confirmation, but I know that's not possible.

tinkytinky

« Reply #206 on: May 06, 2014, 03:07:11 PM »

You actually saw the paperwork? Cool.  8) That's totally different from hearing it from that great authority, A-Friend-of-A-Friend.

I'd love to see a screenshot of the paperwork, just as confirmation, but I know that's not possible.

This was about 3 years ago. It was with the investigator in our (government type) office. I didn't believe him at first either, but yep, there it was. There were a few time something like this happened and we really thought we were on a hidden camera show.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #207 on: May 06, 2014, 04:40:48 PM »
You know, I had quite forgotten this - years and years ago part of my father's job was to interview prospective pupils for the school in which he taught,  and their parents.  This was at a time,  and in a place,  before the yooniq names began to be popular.

One couple came to see him and referred to their son Gooey, pronounced as you would think - gooey as in icing,  or caramel.  My father thought he must have misheard. Then they said it again. And again.  Over the next 30 minutes my father came up with wilder and wilder guesses as to what the child's name could be,  none of which he dared say aloud. He kept saying 'your son' instead. He didn't dare to fill in the application form.  Instead,  he pushed the form across the desk and asked the father to complete the first section. Child's surname. Child's forename.

G u y. Pronounced gooey.

All he could think was that it was a family joke so old that the family had ceased to notice it. The child didn't attend the school in the end so my father never found out what he called himself.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #208 on: May 06, 2014, 05:11:36 PM »
You know, I had quite forgotten this - years and years ago part of my father's job was to interview prospective pupils for the school in which he taught,  and their parents.  This was at a time,  and in a place,  before the yooniq names began to be popular.

One couple came to see him and referred to their son Gooey, pronounced as you would think - gooey as in icing,  or caramel.  My father thought he must have misheard. Then they said it again. And again.  Over the next 30 minutes my father came up with wilder and wilder guesses as to what the child's name could be,  none of which he dared say aloud. He kept saying 'your son' instead. He didn't dare to fill in the application form.  Instead,  he pushed the form across the desk and asked the father to complete the first section. Child's surname. Child's forename.

G u y. Pronounced gooey.

All he could think was that it was a family joke so old that the family had ceased to notice it. The child didn't attend the school in the end so my father never found out what he called himself.

That's a French name, but it's pronounced Gee in French (The G having a "guh" sound).
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #209 on: May 06, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »
This was not in France. Guy, pronounced... well, guy. It wasn't even that uncommon as a name around where we were. Guy Fawkes. Guy Burgess the spy. Guy Gibson the pilot. Guy Ritchie the director.

And a child called Gooey.