Author Topic: "Stealing" a Baby Name  (Read 33460 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: "Stealing" a Baby Name
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 12:33:52 AM »
This is why to avoid any dispute on the subject, good and bad, we've avoided telling ANYONE our baby's name until after he's born. But your friend isn't even expecting, what does she have to worry about? She might even change her mind later on.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 01:10:20 AM »
You both like the name Charlotte.  Even if there were a rule that your girls couldn't have the same name, why should she be the one who gets the name?  What makes her more important than you?  I think these would be good questions to ask her.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

aussie_chick

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 01:43:06 AM »
I believe Charlotte was the most common name in 2013 although this might have just been Australia. So it's not unusual to me that two people in the same generation might want to name their child Charlotte.

You did nothing wrong Op. You did not steal her baby's name.

I remember the Sex and the City episode when Charlotte(!) accused Laney of stealing her baby name 'Shayla'. That's a little different. I think Charlotte claimed to have made the name up.

But even then, names aren't copyrighted.

Only way to avoid is not to mention to anyone what you might call your child. But in an ideal you shouldn't have to do that.

peaches

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 01:58:43 AM »
There's no need for you to give up the name you've chosen.

Your friend should not have asked it of you.

Charlotte's a lovely name, by the way.

Lindee

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 03:25:27 AM »
Of course you should name your child Charlotte.  If your entitled friend ever has a daughter I think the odds are quite good that she would have changed her mind about the name for her by then anyway.   I just "knew" I was having a daughter (back in the day when you got to be surprised at the birth) and had picked out Amy Louise so it was a scramble to name my lovely son when he arrived.  By the time my beautiful daughter arrived I'd met a lot more babies and children at playgroups and mother's clubs and closer acquaintance with a extremely whiny Amy and an ill-behaved Louise had soured those names irretrievably for me so it was back to the drawing board, especially as I had Benjamin all picked out.  I stopped then so I was only Nil for Two on the sex prediction front.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 05:28:05 AM »
You realize you not only stold a name, you stold a gender.  She would like a girl named Charlotte and you are having a girl - and naming her Charlotte.   ::)

Seriously, it is her issue.  No way to reason with her.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 06:46:47 AM »
The only way you can steal a name is if someone invents a new name. Otherwise, pretty much all the baby names out there are in the public domain.

Your friend is being a special snowflake. You have every right to name your baby the name you like best.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

scotcat60

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 07:46:07 AM »
I have cousins who both have a grandaughter named Kirsty. Their oldest sister was Margaret, and so was their first cousin.

Researching my family tree, I found out that my great great grandmas neices and nephews were all called either Elizabeth, James, Allan, George, Mary ,Margaret , Janet, Robert, Thomas, Anne, John. or William. So they were all first cousins to each other. There was one Charlotte, born in 1824, and she must have felt left out! If someone had yelled any one of those names at a family gathering, up to 6 children and one adult would have answered.

Call your daughter Charlotte by all means. There is no copyright on names, and your friend might end up having all boys, or even no children at all.

Jones

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 08:00:49 AM »
Even making up a name may not work. My mom thought she made up my name but it turns out my name is used in India and I have seen TV characters who share it, though they pronounce it slightly differently from how I (and those who know me) do.

Margo

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 08:14:24 AM »
I agree with eveyone else. Your 'friend' is being immature and silly.
EvilMargo is tempted to turn the tables on her by pointing out that you told her that you were thinking of naming your daughter Charlotte and that you are deeply hurt and upset that she is even considering stealing the name from you (after all, you told her the name, before she'd ever mentioned her hypothetical plans to you!)

It's probably a good thing that EvilMargo doesn't know your friend...

And honestly, if it is so important to her that her (hypothetical) child doesn't share a name, then she really shouldn't set her heart on such a popular name. I bet there would be fewer other kids with the same name if she went for something like Hepzibah or Jerusha!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 08:22:38 AM »
All I can add is that I agree with everyone else. If Charlotte is your daughter's name, then that's it. I'm from a family with lots and lots of Kathy/Cathy/Katy/Katharines, and yet we survived to tell the tale. And everyone still likes each other. Seriously, we have some variation on the name at least 1/2 dozen times in my generation and the next (probably more than that, actually).

Your friend is being silly. Name your baby whatever you wish and she can do the same for hers, if and when she ever has one. Heck, by then she might have different names in mind entirely.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2014, 08:58:54 AM »
You decided that Charlotte was one of the contenders BEFORE your friend told you that it was "her" name.  She's being silly and selfish.  Name your daughter whatever you please.

And your friend will either get over it or die mad.

This.  Names are public domain.  Get over it or die mad is a perfect assessment. 

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 10:48:56 AM »
Is Charlotte the new Emma?  I have been meeting/hearing of so many little girls with that name lately, and I love it!  One of my cool Italian aunties is named Charlotte, and I would have considered it for the baby who is now Son aged 17, if it didn't sound so terrible with our last name.   (Same initial "Sh" sound; it would be worse than a tongue twister.)

Your friend sounds like she has something else going on, something to make her wig out so badly at the fact that you are using a common female name for the daughter you are expecting, when she, herself, doesn't even know if a daughter is in her future.  But, we are not here to psychoanalyze, and it's not your problem, anyway.  You are fine to use the name.

Best wishes for a happy, healthy baby girl!  You must be over the moon.    ;D

Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

penelope2017

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »
So what happens if she ends up only having boys? Neither of you get to use the name Charlotte? Just ridiculous.

The name is beautiful. Use it with no qualms.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 11:01:45 AM »
My best friend of 15 years, who is NOT pregnant and has only expressed a desire to start a family since I told her we were expecting, asked me a few months ago if we had thought of names so I told her how we were debating between Charlotte and Catherine for a girl. (I know, that was my first mistake!). Well she told me that he has her heart set on having a little girl and naming her Charlotte and asked me not to use the name.

What is weird about this is that it seems to me as if it is the other way around, and she is trying to hijack your baby name choice. She asked you, you told her, and then she said, "Oh that's the name I was planning on." Hmmm. The fact that you mentioned it first (and you are expecting) seems fine to name her Charlotte.
Just remind her that she had asked you and you told her a name that you and you DH have spent time considering and growing attached to before she made the strange request that you eliminate the name from your list. Also add (what PPs mentioned) that its fine if you both use the name Charlotte, it's a nice name and there is no reason why you can't both use it.