Author Topic: Attending an Australian Military Ball  (Read 881 times)

Saint Abby

Attending an Australian Military Ball
« on: March 28, 2014, 09:28:17 AM »
This seems like a good place for this question :)

My DH and I have been invited to attend an Australian military ball in May 2014.  The dress code is formal, so my DH is renting a tux.  I have never been to any Australian function and cannot find any resources for guidance and have a few questions.

-Attire-  Are there any colors I should avoid/go to?  I have a garnet ball gown that is v-necked with an A-line skirt.  Would this be appropriate?  Are gloves needed or too formal?

-Customs-  US military balls include many customs and formalities that must be observed.  Are there any unique Australian customs that I should be aware of?

We are very honored to be invited to this event and I would like to make a good impression.  Thank you for your assistance.  :)

-Abby

Margo

Re: Attending an Australian Military Ball
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:30:32 AM »
Sounds fun! I'm not Australian, but I notice that both the Melbourne and Sydney Military Balls have websites which include photos of previous years events which may give you some ideas. -Does the event you are attending have it's own website?

I would expect a long dress to be fine, and gloves to be optional. Your dress sounds lovely!

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 05:42:11 AM »

The Oz customs will be closer to British habits than USNA ones. If this is a regimental ball, one of their officers will set you straight on anything you should or shouldn't do.

One thing though; there will be a bell or lump of some metal either near the door or the bar. Whatever you do, do NOT make it ring! Not even if a nice young man in a handsome uniform tries to charm you into it! If you ring the bell, you shout the bar.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Nesca

• Lover of shoes
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:38:12 AM »
I'm in Adelaide and I've been to a few officer's balls. I attended as a guest of an officer. Ladies were mostly in floor length gowns but no gloves, officers in dress uniform and other men in suits and tuxes.

The ones I went to usually had a theme, I think Carnivale was one and I remember an oriental theme as well. We always had a blast. I'm pretty sure as long as you are polite to everyone you meet, you can't really go wrong.

Saint Abby

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 11:31:34 AM »
Thank you very much for your help.  I was able to find some pictures from last year's ball for reference and we were also given a little pamphlet on customs.

The ball was fabulous!