Author Topic: How long should you wait for an appointment?  (Read 4646 times)

ILoveMyCello

How long should you wait for an appointment?
« on: March 28, 2014, 11:26:40 AM »
I've been sitting for 25 minutes waiting for my accountant to do my taxes. The couple before me is very elderly and talking entirely too much. I can tell he's trying to get them out. What is proper etiquette?  He knows we are here

ILoveMyCello

Re: How long should you wait for an appointment?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:27:10 AM »
Can I knock on the door???

GreenHall

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 11:30:19 AM »
Is there a receptionist available to ask about a timeline?  Could you ask about using another accountant?  I can understand both of your dilemmas - YOU want the appointment time you scheduled your day around, and he wants to make ALL his clients happy. 

(off topic, but it took me an embarrassing amount of time to find the Spell Check button)  :-[

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
Is there a receptionist?

If no, you could possibly knock on the door and say "I just wanted to let you know we are here when you are done with your clients." 

Maybe that will spur them on. Maybe he can use that to tell them to make a second appt.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 11:33:52 AM »
If there's no receptionist to ask (as Greenhall suggested) then, yeah, maybe quietly knock on the door and ask how much longer you'll have to wait.  If you're 25 minutes past your appointment time now, I don't think anyone could blame you for speaking up about it.

ILoveMyCello

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 11:34:44 AM »
His receptionist is his wife but she's not here all the time. Today she isn't here. He just came out and said it wouldn't be too long. My taxes are pretty quick, I don't own a home or anything. I just want to get these elderly people to stop having personal conversations. I can tell he's trying to hurry them up-I just think it's rude to do that when people are waiting.

Betelnut

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 11:35:36 AM »
30 minutes is my standard.  Perhaps knocking would help.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

ILoveMyCello

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »
How long should I keep waiting? I would rather grab some lunch and come back!

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 11:38:55 AM »

I would knock and ask if you need to reschedule.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 11:43:45 AM »

Yes, or say "I can see you're running behind. I'm going to get some lunch. Will you be able to reschedule me for 1pm?"

I don't have much sympathy for the accountant because it's really him that's keeping you waiting. He needed to say to the couple "I'd love to continue our visit, however, I have another appointment now and it would be rude of me to keep her waiting. If you have any questions please give me a call..." as he stands up and moved toward the door.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 11:56:12 AM »

Yes, or say "I can see you're running behind. I'm going to get some lunch. Will you be able to reschedule me for 1pm?"

I don't have much sympathy for the accountant because it's really him that's keeping you waiting. He needed to say to the couple "I'd love to continue our visit, however, I have another appointment now and it would be rude of me to keep her waiting. If you have any questions please give me a call..." as he stands up and moved toward the door.

Agreed. I am frequently with one of  those chatterers - I have to remind him, and since one of the couple won't, the accountant needs to do it politely. It's a difficult skill.

How long would I wait? As long as I needed to unless something is urgent, like getting back to work or the babysitter, or another appointment/meeting. I do think it would be OK to push things along, as others have suggested.

ILoveMyCello

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
Thanks for your advice everyone! I waited about 36 minutes and the couple came out and the lady said "now it's your turn! We had a lot of money to discuss". Rude! I've used my accountant for years and will continue to do so but I may make the first appointment from now on!

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 01:36:24 PM »

veronaz

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 01:47:10 PM »
It's his/the accountant's responsibility to herd them out if they're done and just talking.  So he wants to keep all his clients happy?  He's not doing that by pacifying those people and making others (like you) wait. 

lkdrymom

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »
For a minute there I thought you were talking about my chiropractor. He is a chatty guy so sometimes it is him who keeps the conversation going.  One time I was in the wating room and he was checking out an elderly couple and the woman just went onandonandonandon about personal stuff. She never noticed there were other patients waiting. And he didn't stop her.

But in your case 30 minutes then I would have asked if it was going to be much longer.

As for the previous patron telling you it was your turn now, if I was in a bad enough mood I might hae reminded her that 'your turn' was 36 minutes ago.