General Etiquette > Life...in general

When you don't particularly want to hear jokes

(1/3) > >>

Stricken_Halo:
A woman I know--more of a friend of my late mother's that I've "inherited" than my own--just loves to tell jokes. They're not racist or sexist, or any of the other common "-ists". My problem is that I'm just not that into jokes. They always seem to take too long to tell and the punch line never seems worth it. I don't think I lack a sense of humor, but my taste runs more to the observational style of comedy a la Jerry Seinfeld. (Jim Gaffigan on Hot Pockets makes me belly laugh!)

My question is, what is the best way to react to the jokes? My fake laugh never seems convincing enough, especially on the telephone. When I do it, she can't just let it be; she'll either ask, "Did you like it?" or--aargh!--start explaining the joke. Or she'll ask, "Want to hear another?" and there's no nice way to say, "No, not really." Then the whole process starts again. Any ideas, EHellions?

CrazyDaffodilLady:
Instead of a fake laugh, say "You sure know a lot of jokes".  Say it every single time.

If she asks if you want to hear more, say "Oh, let's save it for another time".  Then bean dip.

m2kbug:
♪ Haaawt Pockeeeht. ♪

I'm kind of the same.  Some of them are good, but mostly not funny.  How about "Okay, one joke."  "No, no more jokes.  Tell me about...[something else]."  I think you could explain to her that you usually just don't really enjoy jokes like that.  You can stop fake laughing.  Smile and say, "Okay, I get it" with a smile but without full laughing or a small laugh, not a belly laugh.  Don't encourage more by faking it but try to find the humor and limit the number, one or two jokes, and focus on other talk.   

mbbored:

--- Quote from: m2kbug on March 29, 2014, 02:56:28 PM ---♪ Haaawt Pockeeeht. ♪

I'm kind of the same.  Some of them are good, but mostly not funny.  How about "Okay, one joke."  "No, no more jokes.  Tell me about...[something else]."  I think you could explain to her that you usually just don't really enjoy jokes like that.  You can stop fake laughing.  Smile and say, "Okay, I get it" with a smile but without full laughing or a small laugh, not a belly laugh.  Don't encourage more by faking it but try to find the humor and limit the number, one or two jokes, and focus on other talk.   

--- End quote ---

Hehehe.

TabathasGran:
I put this in the category of humoring a person that is your senior and honoring your Mom by being very kind to her friend.

Minimize it by keeping her talking about other subjects.
She sounds lonely. And certainly if she asks if you would like to hear another you can sweetly say "oh, let's save it for next time. I want to hear more about you. What do you think about <current event>."

Not a requirement to do this, of course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version