General Etiquette > Life...in general

The bouncer.

<< < (3/3)

doodlemor:
I think that you were fine.  The guy needs to realize that his habit will annoy people in certain situations.

You didn't mention the relative sizes of the three men.  I think that the politest thing they could have done would have been to put the smallest person on your couch. 

Slight threadjack here.  One day a school principal that I know was doing a formal observation of a teacher.  I think that the kids were older - maybe in high school.  The principal did not realize that he had an unconscious habit of bouncing his leg.  The teacher paused in the middle of her lesson and very sternly said something like, "Someone here is bouncing their legs and making the whole floor move up and down."  I don't remember if the principal confessed immediately, or waited until the post lesson conference.

Coley:
Yes, there are six couches all of the same size. Of the six couches, three had two occupants, one had three occupants (ours), one had four occupants (in front of us), and then there's Man's couch, which I think had two (Man and Friend 1), but I'm not certain. I didn't see a third person sit down with them.

If they didn't have a third person on their couch, then I would agree with PPs who perceive Man to be rude. Friend 2 should have sat with them on their couch.

Friend 2 was the biggest of their group. Man was a big guy, but not as big as Friend 2. Friend 1 was a woman. She seemed to be average size.

TurtleDove:
If I am understanding correctly, the person who asked you and your DH to allow his friend to share your couch only had two people on his couch, including himself?  I would have suggested he allow his friend to share his own couch - that is ridiculous to ask someone else to share their couch when you have just as much space on your own.  I wouldn't have allowed the friend to share my couch under those circumstances.

bloo:

--- Quote from: TurtleDove on March 31, 2014, 02:33:46 PM ---If I am understanding correctly, the person who asked you and your DH to allow his friend to share your couch only had two people on his couch, including himself?  I would have suggested he allow his friend to share his own couch - that is ridiculous to ask someone else to share their couch when you have just as much space on your own.  I wouldn't have allowed the friend to share my couch under those circumstances.

--- End quote ---

POD if I'd have noticed in time to do something about it.

Maybe I'd say:

"Oh you have four people in your group? No? Then your third can squeeze in with you instead of with strangers! I'm sure they'll be more comfortable!" Then smile and ignore.

BTW, Coley, I think you handled yourself perfectly under the circumstances.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version