Author Topic: Anyone had/have a dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction?  (Read 529 times)

ArztWolf

Anyone had/have a dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction?
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »
My 8yr old, 50+lb mix, Deputy, was diagnosed several months ago with it. For those who don't know it is the equivalent of Alzheimers or Dementia in humans.

I am not looking for veterinary advice, just your experiences with it. The vet determined the medication for it, forgotten what its called, would do nothing in Deps case.

Deputy just "spaces out" alot,  forgets to eat at times, and has had a few accidents (pee only) in the house.

Here he is before I got him. The lady who fostered him had him from the puppy to five years, when I got him.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50530285@N04/12087566645/

Adult
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50530285@N04/11829704605/

Senior, with a leaf stuck to his nose. He's even greyer now.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50530285@N04/12173703365/

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: Anyone had/have a dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:25:44 AM »
My late chow-Lab mix, Ruth, lived to 16 but started Doggie Dementia at 15.

At first she would just space out. We called that "forgetting her keys" or "staring at invisible gophers."

After about six months, she started peeing in the house occasionally. Not as funny, but still tolerable.

After another six months, she started snapping randomly at me. Not little nips, full-on snarl-bites.  I had her put down at that stage.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Jones

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:11:06 PM »
What a sweet looking doggy !

I haven't had experience with dog dementia yet, but I expect I will one day as I've become a very dog loving person in my adult years, so I'm glad the topic was brought up so I can watch for it myself. My oldest dog turns 7 this year, but is a smaller breed so hopefully it's a ways off.

((Hugs)) I am sorry you are going through this.

HGolightly

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:17:29 PM »
My shepherd cross is 11.5 and has good days and bad days with this. She also went through major hair loss this winter due to aging. It's hard but the good days, so far, outweigh the bad. She does forget she has eaten from time to time.

Redwing

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 12:36:43 PM »
My shepard/whippet mix began dementia at about age 13-14.  She lived to be 15.  She was also mostly blind and pretty deaf at that point.  She would walk into corners or walls and just stand there because she couldn't figure out how to get out.  Her legs started going out from under her, which the vet explained to me was the signals from her brain getting disrupted on the way to her legs.  She began to not recognize signs that she had to go to the bathroom and by this time, she couldn't get up and down the stairs by herself.  We had to carry her up and down the stairs.  She only weighed about 27 lbs. so it wasn't too bad.  She never became snappish, she just became a ghost of her former self.  One day, she just gave me that look that dogs do that says, "I'm done now."  Still miss her so much.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »
What a cutie! I am so sad that you are going through this. It is so hard when our animals have troubles.

My pug had it. She was about 14 years old when it started. Hers was mainly at night. My vet told me that Alzheimer's disease in humans often is worse at night. She would drink a lot of water, have accidents and pace nervously. Normally, she was the most calm dog. We started with melatonin (human version from the drugstore). That didn't help much. We then went to valium. That worked for a while. It's cheap and had no bad side effects. A few months later, the valium wasn't doing enough. She was so miserable at night. It was time to say good bye  :-[