Author Topic: What makes you stop reading a book?  (Read 10916 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: What makes you stop reading a book?
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2014, 06:08:47 PM »
I stop reading books too easily. Sometimes I don't enjoy them or the characters or plot are too annoying but often something just comes up or I get busy and abandon the book and never return to. Or I start reading something more interesting.

At the moment I'm struggling to finish a book I can only read a few pages before the heroine gets too annoying. She's pretty stupid and naive, trusts all the wrong people against evidence and is of course completely ignorant of her own feelings (and is a virgin without knowing it, despite being married for ten years). I would much rather read about the secondary couple.
How on earth does one manage that?  One of those super-religious who thinks that simply sharing a bed = "sleeping together" = having sex?  Or a partner who prefers the back door? 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2014, 07:34:21 PM »
I stop reading books too easily. Sometimes I don't enjoy them or the characters or plot are too annoying but often something just comes up or I get busy and abandon the book and never return to. Or I start reading something more interesting.

At the moment I'm struggling to finish a book I can only read a few pages before the heroine gets too annoying. She's pretty stupid and naive, trusts all the wrong people against evidence and is of course completely ignorant of her own feelings (and is a virgin without knowing it, despite being married for ten years). I would much rather read about the secondary couple.
How on earth does one manage that?  One of those super-religious who thinks that simply sharing a bed = "sleeping together" = having sex?  Or a partner who prefers the back door? 

*Hysterically laughing*

Eeep!

« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »
It may be best to regard A Song of Fire and Ice/Games of Thrones as a variation of a Shakespearian tragedy:  by the end of the play, all the main characters will be dead.  It's just a matter of who kills whom.  Not that I have any idea of what will be in the last two books, but it keeps me from getting too attached to anyone.   :P

I can't remember if it was here on EHell or elsewhere where I originally saw this joke; "George R. R. Martin and J. J. Abrams walk into a bar...."

"And?"

"And everyone you love dies."

hahahaha
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2014, 08:02:07 PM »
I heard, from a college professor who had worked with an early "fertility counselor" in his school years, that they had ONE couple come in who had grown up in pious families and their "instruction" consisted of "get married, pray every night, and do what comes naturally".

Apparently they had low drives - because after close to ten years, they had no children and went in to see the doctors about what to do.

Who asked about their s3x lives.  And found that they still regarded THAT as sinful.  They were reminded that they were joined in "holy matrimony" and it was no longer to be regarded as a sin but...well...there was apparently no need for further fertility counseling as their first child came along a bit less than a year later...

I remember wondering if there was a low testosterone issue - because you would NOT expect people who got married around age 20 to have so little curiosity...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cabbageweevil

« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2014, 05:02:21 AM »
Reminds me of a limerick --

Wanting children, a couple once sat
For a course in how they were begat.
When the doctor expounded,
They sat there dumbfounded
And said they could never do that.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »

That sounds like a Diana Palmer where the heroine was a partial virgin. I read this back at 18 and tried to figure out the math behind it.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2014, 11:44:04 AM »
Is it even possible to be a partial virgin???  :o
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

lowspark

« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2014, 11:51:46 AM »
Is it even possible to be a partial virgin???  :o

It's like being kind of pregnant. ::)

alkira6

« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2014, 12:14:46 PM »

I want to read this because there has to be one hell of an explanation attached to this.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »

I once read a book where a young (unmarried) heroine had the man, uh, press up against her (fully clothed) and presumably enjoy himself a great deal... but that was it.  She thought she could be pregnant and was concerned.  His incredulity was hilarious.

As for a person improving himself/herself before marriage... it's definitely an interesting concept.  I think that sometimes it's more compelling if the relationship takes a break while the improvement happens, even if that sometimes doesn't come over so well in a book.

If I remember correctly, in Francine Rivers' "Redeeming Love," the woman is a prostitute (it's a retelling of the story of Hosea from the Bible), and after struggles to leave that life behind her *during* the relationship, she ends up leaving him for a while and getting her life together.  She starts a home for former prostitutes who are trying to escape that life.  Only after she's able to do it herself, is she ready to go back to the relationship.  So the change in herself has to happen separate from the relationship.

I know I've seen it in other books, but that's the only one I can think of at the moment.  Sometimes it's in the type of book where one of the characters meets the other in a particularly desperate circumstance.  The desperate one finds herself/himself too clinging to the other, too dependent on the other for their lifestyle change.  They have to separate, change themselves, and then come back.  But the other person and the relationship are still the inspiration for the lifestyle change and the hope that keeps them going during the tough transition.

Ereine

« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »

The only explanation was that the husband was old and maybe impotent (though apparently he did something that was painful) and the heroine married very young and had no idea about sex. It was very strange.

Allyson

« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2014, 04:14:26 PM »
There is a weird obsession with technical virginity in many romances, and sometimes even other genres. The amount of "virgin widows" and so on attest to this. It's a little strange, IMO. So often it doesn't seem to have a point to the character; just the author twisting the plot so that the lead can still be virginal.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »
I have heard of a few news stories over the last thirty-odd years where one member of the Happy Couple was widowed the day of the wedding (car accident, plane or train accident on their way to the honeymoon location & they'd gotten cheap seats as they would have gotten there in time to go to bed at a relatively reasonable hour after a morning wedding, or a military member got called up & told to report back NOW, as in, right after the vows were finished or even - get married now & explain where the military member was when the guests got there - or call/send a telegraph that there had been a HUGE change in plans...or something similar - a firefighter got called away from the reception & one or the other didn't live to come back). 

Historically, I'm sure it happened once in a while.  But with all the books needing plot twists, that one has gotten a bit overused lately....more writers & more books isn't a bad thing - I just wish more of them were better writers...

The third time a historical character makes a comment about liking same gender encounters when the historical person was apparently quite enthusiastically heterosexual...or in one or two cases known to be asexual (if the king and his wife vow chastity & the heir apparent is the king's cousin or possibly a younger brother and everyone historically literate has known that was what happened for the last six hundred to a thousand years...changing the personality and history itself is a bit over the top for plot twists). 

Especially as the story does not NEED any hot & sweaty bedroom scenes to be interesting - the historical plot was twisty & interesting already.  Or at least, I thought it was interesting enough...

The kings' advisors (in the cases I'm thinking of) were following him around constantly to beg him to please, please, please, think of his country and get the queen with child, please.  In a third case, he was "almost" monogamous, but with his mistress...not his wife.  His mistress would insist that he go spend time with the queen to provide heirs to the throne because he listened to her.  His wife took no action against the mistress when the king died...a few political advisors who hadn't been nice to her, on the other hand...weren't really very happy with their status when a minor got crowned. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:38:21 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

poundcake

« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2014, 05:06:37 PM »
My paternal grandmother was widowed the day of her wedding, so yeah, it does happen, but I know what you mean.

There is a weird obsession with technical virginity in many romances, and sometimes even other genres. The amount of "virgin widows" and so on attest to this. It's a little strange, IMO. So often it doesn't seem to have a point to the character; just the author twisting the plot so that the lead can still be virginal.

This bothers me (although I haven't actually quit reading a book because of it. Yet!), because it all but fetishizes the heroine's virginity. She can't possibly be a fit mate for her romantic interest if she has had any sexual experience at all prior to him. Sometimes not even masturbation. He has to give her her first orgasm ever. He, essentially, gets to create her sexuality. And in most cases, that's not romantic, it's just anti-woman.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2014, 07:30:02 PM »

The only explanation was that the husband was old and maybe impotent (though apparently he did something that was painful) and the heroine married very young and had no idea about sex. It was very strange.
I heard one story, about a couple who had gone for fertility testing, and the doctors found out that she was a virgin in spite of their protestations that they "played scrabble" frequently.   Seems that both of them were virgins at marriage, and the husband had no idea that  there were two orifices in that general area... He'd been going after the wrong one!   She'd been told scrabble would hurt at first -- great googly-moogly, of course it hurt!  Urethras are not intended to be used like that. 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.