Author Topic: What makes you stop reading a book?  (Read 11800 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: What makes you stop reading a book?
« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2014, 08:18:06 PM »
I stop reading books too easily. Sometimes I don't enjoy them or the characters or plot are too annoying but often something just comes up or I get busy and abandon the book and never return to. Or I start reading something more interesting.

At the moment I'm struggling to finish a book I can only read a few pages before the heroine gets too annoying. She's pretty stupid and naive, trusts all the wrong people against evidence and is of course completely ignorant of her own feelings (and is a virgin without knowing it, despite being married for ten years). I would much rather read about the secondary couple.
How on earth does one manage that?  One of those super-religious who thinks that simply sharing a bed = "sleeping together" = having sex?  Or a partner who prefers the back door?

The only explanation was that the husband was old and maybe impotent (though apparently he did something that was painful) and the heroine married very young and had no idea about sex. It was very strange.
I heard one story, about a couple who had gone for fertility testing, and the doctors found out that she was a virgin in spite of their protestations that they "played scrabble" frequently.   Seems that both of them were virgins at marriage, and the husband had no idea that  there were two orifices in that general area... He'd been going after the wrong one!   She'd been told scrabble would hurt at first -- great googly-moogly, of course it hurt!  Urethras are not intended to be used like that. 

Mom told me about that one - the things that people talk about at the hospital in the lab when there's no blood to be drawn or other substances to be tested....

I understand that she got stood up in front of a mirror & the doctor or nurse pointed out where things really were...and her hymen was cut - to give her a day or two of rest to allow healing.  It is rare to have a hymen that covers most of the opening and has only a small hole or two to allow menses - but she was one of the lucky women with that arrangement.  She also grew up in a rather more "religious" than average family who refused to allow women the use tampons before marriage - because they wouldn't be virgins! She might have had more information available to her about why there was so much pain...or her hymen might have been cut before the wedding "for medical reasons".  Apparently for at least ONE time that happened, there was a reason that the urethra was found "first". 

And I spent three nights shuddering at the whole idea - seriously - it was scarier than some ghost stories!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2014, 10:25:28 AM »
Is it even possible to be a partial virgin???  :o

It's like being kind of pregnant. ::)

The author defined her as such because, IRRC, she only played scrabble once on her wedding night and her hymen didn't totally break.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2014, 01:49:58 PM »
I stop reading books too easily. Sometimes I don't enjoy them or the characters or plot are too annoying but often something just comes up or I get busy and abandon the book and never return to. Or I start reading something more interesting.

At the moment I'm struggling to finish a book I can only read a few pages before the heroine gets too annoying. She's pretty stupid and naive, trusts all the wrong people against evidence and is of course completely ignorant of her own feelings (and is a virgin without knowing it, despite being married for ten years). I would much rather read about the secondary couple.
How on earth does one manage that?  One of those super-religious who thinks that simply sharing a bed = "sleeping together" = having sex?  Or a partner who prefers the back door?

The only explanation was that the husband was old and maybe impotent (though apparently he did something that was painful) and the heroine married very young and had no idea about sex. It was very strange.
I heard one story, about a couple who had gone for fertility testing, and the doctors found out that she was a virgin in spite of their protestations that they "played scrabble" frequently.   Seems that both of them were virgins at marriage, and the husband had no idea that  there were two orifices in that general area... He'd been going after the wrong one!   She'd been told scrabble would hurt at first -- great googly-moogly, of course it hurt!  Urethras are not intended to be used like that.

I really don't believe that. A urethra will not stretch to accommodate a penis so it would seem to be physically impossible for him to actually have intercourse with it once, let alone frequently. And if he did do it even once then it would have torn open and she probably would have had to seek medical care. I would be willing to believe that they had anal sex instead.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #153 on: April 23, 2014, 02:09:34 PM »

I really don't believe that. A urethra will not stretch to accommodate a penis so it would seem to be physically impossible for him to actually have intercourse with it once, let alone frequently. And if he did do it even once then it would have torn open and she probably would have had to seek medical care. I would be willing to believe that they had anal sex instead.

Sorry for the giant quote tree, but I agree with above.  This is an old wive's tale.  Not true, sorry folks.  Also, slightly icky to discuss on an etiquette board. 
Not such a newbie anymore

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #154 on: April 23, 2014, 03:09:27 PM »

Didn't we *just* have this discussion on another thread?  And I totally agree, there is absolutely no way they were using the urethra.  Wrong hole, perhaps, but not that one!  Unless she was seriously deformed, that's just not possible.  Old wives' tale, no matter where you heard it.