Author Topic: What makes you stop reading a book?  (Read 10383 times)

alkira6

Re: What makes you stop reading a book?
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2014, 11:51:01 AM »
Laura Hamilton with Anita Blake.  What she turned her into makes my eyes bleed.  She took a strong interesting female character and turned her into a blow up doll for the past 5 books.  There is no plot anymore, just sex. 

Really, I have no problem with erotic novels. Really. Her books are an abomination because of what she turned her main character into.  If she had kept her interesting and said as a side plot that she has lots of yummy sex when the mood strikes I would have been all "yeah girl, get your groove on!" but she makes the books all about the sex. Who she's going to have it with, when will she have it, oooooh, look, she's having sex, hey, she just had sex, wow, having sex again, huh?, that must chafe by now.

John Grisham.  He has written the same law novel umpity times now.  The first three were great, the rest have been a rehash with different names. Same  with Robin Cook. They became too formulaic.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2014, 01:46:33 PM »
As at least one other mentioned, getting things wrong about the real places I know.  For heaven's sake, Santa Fe is NOT walking from Albuquerque!

That really bugged me about Stephen King's Kennedy book.  He got Oak Cliff sooooooo wrong.  No-name author living in Alaska gets some leeway.  Stephen King with plenty of money to spend on research ... not so much.  I still finished the book, though. 

Allyson

« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2014, 01:53:36 PM »
Another thing that will have me stop reading a book is when my definition of a 'good ending' is clearly not the author's. For example, a romance novel where the love interest is so obnoxious that him 'winning her over' is not what I want to see--I want to see her give him a boot out the door!

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2014, 02:45:54 PM »
I will stop reading if someone willfully invokes Darwin (usually a clumsy attempt to put the Heroine into suspense-filled danger). The first time I did this was in a Kathy Reichs book. Our genius Phd, with no weapons or weapons training, thinks she knows where the serial killer who is stalking her is. Does she notify the task force that is looking for him? No, she goes off to find him -Alone! Without letting anyone know -Alone! Unarmed - Alone! (with apologies to Sam Kinnison).

I have read books where the heroine inadvertently stumbles into danger, but the amount of stupidity displayed in the above was just insupportable. I tossed the book across the room in disgust.

I have also stopped reading Anita Blake. I think the thing that got me for good was when she stopped caring (hidden for grossness) what form her scrabble partners were in. Just, yeccch.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

alkira6

« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »

I have also stopped reading Anita Blake. I think the thing that got me for good was when she stopped caring (hidden for grossness) what form her scrabble partners were in. Just, yeccch.

Yeah, didn't want to bring  that up but, yeah, no.  I am open minded but not that open minded. Man, woman, toaster - whatever. Animals, not so much.

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2014, 03:02:54 PM »
Once upon a time, when I was a young and (relatively) innocent bookworm, I felt obligated to finish any book that I started because, well, it seemed the right thing to do.  Now that I am older and, if not wiser, at least more jaded, I will definitely kick a book to the curb - after a quick skip to the end to see what happens - if it bores or annoys me too much.  I'm fairly tolerant in the main, but there are too many books out there to read for me to suffer through certain irritants.  Probably the biggest temptation for me to chuck a book or a series is when the story, subject matter, or characters become boring or tedious and there are a number of reasons, some already mentioned, that can happen.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2014, 03:13:28 PM »
Unrelenting angst that just piles up until your sense of disbelief collapses from too much suspension - South of Broad, I'm looking at you.

Confused books that don't know exactly what they're trying to say - Phantom of the Opera, for one.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

alkira6

« Reply #112 on: April 08, 2014, 03:24:15 PM »
Unrelenting angst that just piles up until your sense of disbelief collapses from too much suspension - South of Broad, I'm looking at you.

Confused books that don't know exactly what they're trying to say - Phantom of the Opera, for one.

Which one? I quite liked the one by Susan Kay.  I mean, you kind of already know how it's going to end already  ;D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #113 on: April 08, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »
I will stop reading if someone willfully invokes Darwin (usually a clumsy attempt to put the Heroine into suspense-filled danger). The first time I did this was in a Kathy Reichs book. Our genius Phd, with no weapons or weapons training, thinks she knows where the serial killer who is stalking her is. Does she notify the task force that is looking for him? No, she goes off to find him -Alone! Without letting anyone know -Alone! Unarmed - Alone! (with apologies to Sam Kinnison).

I have read books where the heroine inadvertently stumbles into danger, but the amount of stupidity displayed in the above was just insupportable. I tossed the book across the room in disgust.

She started out with "I will never, ever, ever do THIS" - which led in a book or three to her doing that - but drawing a new line in the sand, as it were.  Lately, it's like Anita says, "well, I've done this - for whatever reason at the time - but I will never, ever to THAT" - which leads to her doing THAT and drawing a new line in the sand....which is the one she'll scrabble all over in a book or two, if not a chapter or two.

And, seriously, the line about the Pope excommunicating everyone who does what she does but it doesn't matter because SHE'S Episcopalian?  Funny the first time, how funny it is goes down every time she repeats it - like dropping off a cliff after the third time.  It isn't funny any more, if you've read the line more than three times.  It's just an entry in the Annoying Bingo Game.  Usually the third, oddly enough.  She might be getting a bit TOO predictable & formulaic.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »

Which one? I quite liked the one by Susan Kay.  I mean, you kind of already know how it's going to end already  ;D

I mean the original by Leroux, but I have other beefs with Susan Kay.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2014, 05:26:06 AM »
Books that meander. No. If a book is novelette or long short story length don't stretch it out. I'll toss it.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2014, 03:19:24 PM »
I'm with those of you who cited animal violence and overly depressing stories as reasons to quit reading. The world is depressing enough! (Then again I love murder mysteries, so there's that!)

Another one that gets me to stop reading is a senseless death, especially of a well-liked character. I tend to take it kind of personally.  ;D  I can't think of when this last happened in a book off the top of my head though.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

greencat

« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »
I'm with those of you who cited animal violence and overly depressing stories as reasons to quit reading. The world is depressing enough! (Then again I love murder mysteries, so there's that!)

Another one that gets me to stop reading is a senseless death, especially of a well-liked character. I tend to take it kind of personally.  ;D  I can't think of when this last happened in a book off the top of my head though.

Do NOT pick up A Song of Fire and Ice, the book series that is the source material for the show Game of Thrones.  I swear the author just adds each newly introduced character name to a hat and then pulls one at random to kill off every couple of pages! 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2014, 10:47:46 AM »

Do NOT pick up A Song of Fire and Ice, the book series that is the source material for the show Game of Thrones.  I swear the author just adds each newly introduced character name to a hat and then pulls one at random to kill off every couple of pages! 

At a recent convention, George R.R. Martin was holding a sign that said "Be Nice to Me or Tyrion Gets it."  :-D
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Mikayla

« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
Fluffy "plots" with no real conflict.

Boy meets girl. They immediately fall in love - no hurdles to overcome. One of them is usually an orphan, or from an abusive family. The other usually has a large, doting family, consisting of loving parents, siblings, and numerous first cousins. All of whom are ensconced in their own happy relationships. The Big Loving Family accepts the Orphan Partner with open arms. Pages are devoted to the characters' pleasant and fun interactions with each other.

Boy and girl get married in an incredibly romantic and touching wedding ceremony. They find out they are expecting their first child. Cue tears of joy from everyone. The baby is born. More pages are devoted to the main characters' awe and happiness over being parents. The story then ends with the couple expecting baby number two (or three, or four, if it's a particularly long story).

I find those "plots" incredibly boring and unrealistic, and quickly switch off.

I agree so much with this I barely made it through your post  ;)