Author Topic: Google Glasses  (Read 2805 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: Google Glasses
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 11:23:12 PM »
Call me suspicious, but his defensive response to your reasonable request makes me wonder.............

In all honesty, he probably didn't need to steal my credit card number. He had the Google glasses, nice clothes, and a prominently displayed BMW key chain, as opposed to my ancient backpack and thrift store outfit. But, you never know and even if he really was oblivious, it as the principle of the thing.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 12:09:16 AM »
I wouldn't want someone looking over my shoulder while I put in my PIN regardless of google glasses.

Exactly!  OP, you were 100% fine and the guy was totally in the wrong.

I'd never heard of google glasses until this thread, and had to actually well, google it, to see what they were. What a terrible idea. I hope they never catch on.

Having never heard of them, I wouldn't have known to be cautious in the OP's situation, so if he was up to no good, I'd be be none wiser.  >:( :-\  I'd have just assumed that the person was wearing some silly dress up glasses for whatever reason, not potentially filming me, or worse, my financial transaction. Ugh.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 01:36:04 AM »
I'm a huge techno geek, but I'm also the kind of person that realizes that there is a time and a place for everything. Standing in close proximity of other people where they are using sensitive things like checks, or credit cards, is neither the time or the place. I do not find your request rude one bit. I do find his response rather rude. Yes, he may have appeared to be well off and not in need of stealing your credit card information, but you had every right to feel uncomfortable.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 10:10:43 AM »
Google is actually starting to respond to these sorts of incidents, with some clarifications on what Google Glass can and can't do, as well as some suggested guidelines for users. 

https://sites.google.com/site/glasscomms/glass-explorers

I think you were totally within your rights to ask someone with a potential recording device to look away while you had sensitive banking information out.  Whether that's a cell phone, Google Glass, old fashioned camera, etc. 

drzim

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »
With that attitude, the guy in the OP will suffer the same fate as this woman:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/02/25/woman-wearing-google-glass-says-she-was-attacked-in-san-francisco-bar/

...and she wasn't even being a "glass hole."

Read some more articles on this....the woman, Sarah Slocum, is the *definition* of the the word "glass hole"

Found this http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/Sarah-Slocum-becomes-infamous-face-of-Google-Glass-5348911.php

jmarvellous

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »
As my former San Franciscan husband says, Molotov's (the bar where that fight occurred) is the kind of place where wearing the wrong thing will get you punched. Not that "She was asking for it" is EVER an excuse, but if you want to avoid aggressive people, apparently that's not the place to go. (At least that was the case approximately 4 years ago, when he lived there (and liked going to that bar).)

Anyway, I find Google Glass really obnoxious as a concept and in reality. I use public transit, and I will change cars if someone onboard is wearing them. I do not want to be on anyone's private TV show--so the same goes for people filming with their phones or cameras.

I think mbbored did the right thing. He should have respected her wishes (and should know not to stare at these sorts of things, as a rule, while wearing a recording device).

They have a red light that's supposed to be on when recording, but it seems incredibly easy to work around that feature.

This article offers a 'don't be a creep' lesson for Glass users: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2453616,00.asp

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »
Having Google Glass is not in itself rude. I have Google Glass that sits on my prescription lenses so it is much less noticeable than the regular Glass frame.   

However, I do think that the guy was rude for 1. standing that close to you in line, 2. Noticeably looking over your shoulder while you had your credit card out.  3. Mocking you rather than do the polite thing of stepping back, 4. Calling you names as you were leaving. 

Google Glass was the icing on top of the jerk cake he already was.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »
Call me suspicious, but his defensive response to your reasonable request makes me wonder.............

In all honesty, he probably didn't need to steal my credit card number. He had the Google glasses, nice clothes, and a prominently displayed BMW key chain, as opposed to my ancient backpack and thrift store outfit. But, you never know and even if he really was oblivious, it as the principle of the thing.

It's not a matter of needing to steal it, necessarily. There are some people who steal just for the thrill of it, even though they have enough money.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 09:07:59 PM »

It's not a matter of needing to steal it, necessarily. There are some people who steal just for the thrill of it, even though they have enough money.

Maybe he could afford his BMW from selling all of the credit cards he stole :)

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 02:20:18 AM »
No, you were totally in the right, and in fact, I shield my card with my body and my hand when people are hovering, and even when they are not.

You were assertive, not rude. People have to understand that they can't be jerks with these things. Oh and his reaction makes him sound more guilty, not less.