Author Topic: Is this weird or am I being immature?  (Read 3391 times)

TriCrazy73

Re: Is this weird or am I being immature?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 10:02:01 AM »
Change your settings so only your friends can comment on the photos and delete any comments she's already made.

Yes, this.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 12:00:24 PM »
it is immature to be annoyed,

I'm not sure it's really immature to be annoyed, actually, despite my earlier (joking) reply.

I think it would be immature to let that annoyance become a big thing.
But you can come and talk it out, and let the pressure off, with us!! We're EtiquetteHell, we exist to talk about these annoyances, both little (like this) and big.

mspallaton

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 01:29:32 PM »

I'm not sure it's really immature to be annoyed, actually, despite my earlier (joking) reply.

But you can come and talk it out, and let the pressure off, with us!! We're EtiquetteHell, we exist to talk about these annoyances, both little (like this) and big.

POD to the bolded especially.

Having a mild "ugh" with an eyeroll reaction -- totally makes sense.
Having a 'call the SO and tell him what he needs to do about his buddy's fiancee' reaction (for example) would be way over the top.

From what you've described, OP, I think you're completely fine.  I'd delete the comments myself and if asked about it directly at any point I would just say "well, the comment wasn't about the picture I posted so I assumed you posted it there by mistake". 

Angel B.

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 10:31:51 PM »

Having a 'call the SO and tell him what he needs to do about his buddy's fiancee' reaction (for example) would be way over the top.

From what you've described, OP, I think you're completely fine.  I'd delete the comments myself and if asked about it directly at any point I would just say "well, the comment wasn't about the picture I posted so I assumed you posted it there by mistake".

Yes, definately having a ugh and an eyeroll. I did mention it to my SO last night, but to remind him to let her know he's not coming. Perhaps the comments will stop. :) After he lets her know, I'll delete them.
My greatest treasure is love beyond measure.
-Il barbiere di Siviglia

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 12:00:13 PM »
Yes, it's weird.  Off the bat, my gut reaction says it's probably her not understanding how FB works, and not so much that she's being self absorbed.  In either case though, I don't think it's out of line to be annoyed.

So, no, I don't think being annoyed is being immature.  But, if you think that your annoyance is going to build to a point where you do react immaturely, then I'd suggest being proactive about fixing the problem.  You can change your settings to prevent her from commenting or you could talk to your SO and ask him to ask her to address him in a PM or other means that doesn't include a picture you posted....or both.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 12:30:16 PM »

I think that's a good idea.

Dh had a friend who would do this sort of thing, jump on and use an existing conversation on fbook to ask him something totally unrelated to bring his attention to her.  ::)  She had a thing for him but was also one of those people who are only attracted to someone when that person's unavailable.  She'd even flirt with him in front of her DH and me.   ::) Thankfully he blocked her shortly after that.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Belle

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 01:58:03 PM »
I vote that it's a bit weird, but I would ignore it (unless people start responding and having whole conversations on your photo, as one poster mentioned). It sounds like the person doesn't quite understand Facebook, and that they're actually posting on your wall. Even if your BF can see it, that's not the correct place to post messages for him.

I had something similar happen once, and assume the person didn't understand that they were commenting on my wall rather than their friend's wall. I posted a photo from a party at my house. Several of my friends in the photo, including "Sue," were tagged, which allowed their friends to see the photo. (Completely fine by me.) Sue has a friend "John," whose name I vaguely recognized, but I've never met John nor communicated with him in any way. I wouldn't know John if I passed him on the street. John commented on the photo, "Looks like it was a great time! Wish I could have made it!" Um, I don't know you. Why are you making comments that make it sound as though you were invited to, but missed, my party? It was odd, and I can only assume that he thought the photo was at a party that Sue was throwing.