News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 02:33:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "No Dog Should Ever Be In An Apartment!"  (Read 36563 times)

ArztWolf

"No Dog Should Ever Be In An Apartment!"
« on: April 01, 2014, 01:56:36 PM »
I volunteer at a rescue where some of the employees/volunteer are a little, shall we say zealous, about rescuing. I got to hear this gem today after a potential adopter mentioned moving into an apartment (she said this out of his hearing), "No dog should EVER be made to live in an apartment!". ??? So little 3lb Fifi should stay in a cage instead of going to a loving family who happens to live in an apartment that allows dogs? (Man was interested in a small, quiet dog they have).

Some of the adoption coordinators are lacking in the social skills department. One man is so abrupt and blunt that he can be very intimidating and one lady practically interrogates anyone who comes to the shelter.

Please pass the Calgon

Re: "No Dog Should Ever Be In An Apartment!"
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 02:10:41 PM »
ROFL....I'd have pointed out that Great Danes, one of the largest breeds there is, make excellent apartment dogs. Yes, they need walks & outings to exercise/socialize, but they do very well in small spaces.

Goosey

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »
ROFL....I'd have pointed out that Great Danes, one of the largest breeds there is, make excellent apartment dogs. Yes, they need walks & outings to exercise/socialize, but they do very well in small spaces.

Same with Newfies and Mastiffs.

Try taking a mastiff with you on a long walk. Mine would sit at the end of the driveway and refuse to budge :-P

I was once denied an adoption because I crate train. Evidently, it's "cruel". Another time, because I was married to someone in the military. That one is more understandable, though, because it's shameful how many animals are dumped at shelters by service members because they were PCSed somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:19:45 PM by Goosey »

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:17:37 PM »
My 11 pound rat terrier and my 14 pound shih Tzu mix both came home to condos.  They were fine with the surroundings.  I understand that not all dogs are, but condos (or apartments) that allow dogs are often great homes for low key pets.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

EMuir

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 02:23:42 PM »
I seriously have to remind myself that I support the organization, and the people may or may not represent it well. And sometimes I have to ignore the people and just stick by the shelter. Sigh.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
Apparently greyhounds are very low-energy as well. I read a story about a greyhound rescue that compared them to cats. They like to laze around in the sun a lot.

I have to wonder if these people have seen the actual size of some of the housing they are so in love/hate with?? One of the saddest things I ever saw animal-wise was a German Shepherd puppy that was tied up 24/7 in a neighbour's yard (I was a kid and couldn't do anything about it). We lived in a townhouse (row of small attached houses) back then and the yard was barely big enough for the dog to turn around in. Not to mention that it would have been much happier inside with people, or in a dog house, or even walking in the park. But hey - it was a house with a yard!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

magicdomino

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »
Not to mention, just because the new owners have a house with a fenced yard, doesn't guarantee that the dog will be able to run around in it.  My neighbors have two dogs, a large hound and a tiny Yorkie.  The yard is fenced for privacy, but not animal control; the fence doesn't continue all the way around the house, leaving the side with the driveway and garage open.  The dogs are put out on chains for a couple of hours each evening.

camlan

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 03:33:25 PM »
I've seen so many dogs tied out in yards, day after day. That's better for them than living in an apartment, with their humans around them all the time?

There are several large breeds that, after puppyhood, don't want all that much exercise and which would do well in an apartment, with walks and potty breaks. I know a Newfie who lives in a pretty small apartment and who seems very content with one long walk and two shorter potty walks a day (I get to house sit her on occasion). She goes on her walks, but what she really wants is to cuddle on the sofa with her humans.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

shadowfox79

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 03:37:56 PM »
I encountered a similar attitude when adopting my cats. The RSPCA refused to let us adopt as we don't have a garden. "What if it needs the toilet?" the woman exclaimed, as if our neighbours (UK, but still) would be thrilled to have our cat crap in their flower bed.

We went with Cats Protection, who did believe in housecats.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »
I encountered a similar attitude when adopting my cats. The RSPCA refused to let us adopt as we don't have a garden. "What if it needs the toilet?" the woman exclaimed, as if our neighbours (UK, but still) would be thrilled to have our cat crap in their flower bed.

Have these people never heard of a litter box? Wow.

menley

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 03:43:58 PM »
I tried to adopt twice at two different shelters, both of whom rejected me because I lived in an apartment. I had an extremely flexible schedule and would've been able to give the dog plenty of exercise and love, but nope... it was better for them to stay in the shelter. Because apartments are evil, apparently.

Deetee

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 03:56:46 PM »

Wow, because where I live the SPCA actually prefers indoor cats and was talking about banning adoptions of cats to people who let their cats outside.

We have an outdoor kitty, but I'm a bit torn due to the damage to the birds.

BigBadBetty

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 04:00:52 PM »
My friend was told by a dog rescue group that she and her husband would have kids and then they would get rid of the dog. They did not want children....not that everyone who has children abandons their dog in the first place. They are now in their 40s...still no children. They ended up buying a puppy who had a nice, long wonderful life. I have been lucky the rescue and shelter where I got my dogs had no problems with me living in a condo. I am Facebook friends with one of the volunteers at the shelter. She gets to see updates on my dog's life.

I know that she has been burned by people. People have abandoned dogs that they have adopted out. She sees the sickest things. I don't know how she does it, but I am forever thankful that she does.

Zen

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 04:32:34 PM »
We had that same issue when adopting our dog, Cassie. The rescue group wasn't sure if she would do well without having a place to run around during the day. The funny thing is, is that after we had her for a couple of months (i.e. she had calmed down a lot) she turned into a dog that refuses to be outside without a person. Let her out by herself and she'll calmly wait until a person tells her its ok to go run around.
And on the other side of things, we had to sign an agreement that we wouldn't eat the kitten we were adopting after we moved here. Apparently it's enough of a problem that they had a separate agreement paper for us to sign as we were adopting.

Hillia

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 05:21:20 PM »
I used to work with Australian Cattle Dog rescue.  This is a high energy herding breed, and we absolutely adopted to people who lived in apartments.  We did very extensive interviews and home visits to make sure the right dog went to the right people.  Have a big yard but plan on leaving the dog outside 24/7?  No.  Live in an apartment 2 blocks from the dog park and go hiking every weekend?  You betcha!  There were very few things that were black and white; we tried hard to see the whole picture when placing a dog.