News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 10:52:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "No Dog Should Ever Be In An Apartment!"  (Read 36441 times)

Piratelvr1121

Re: "No Dog Should Ever Be In An Apartment!"
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 05:02:39 PM »
Makes me quite grateful for our local shelter.  We've never had an issue with adopting our pets, and they're just concerned that an animal will find their "Forever home" where everyone will be content and they do their best to make sure the animals are matched. 

They don't discriminate, but if they say knew a cat was afraid of males they'd probably direct our family of 4 males and one female (moi) to another that was more comfortable with young children and men.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Jones

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2014, 05:27:56 PM »
When I adopted from a shelter in my previous state, the shelter had a very lax adoption process. Pick a dog, pay a fee, bring back proof of spay. They did make me sign a paper stating that I understood the dog I got had a limp, they weren't responsible for the limp and I couldn't bring it back if the limp didn't heal.

Anari's limp healed fine and she does have a touch of arthritis in that leg but even if she hadn't healed I wouldn't have ever taken her back to that "shelter" as the kill rate was sky high. They were overwhelmed with animals, hence the easy process.
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2014, 05:31:31 PM »
I had to laugh, the no kill shelter I got my Bailey from had named her "Pollyanna" because she was so sweet and didn't have the attitude so typical of calicos.

Oh she's got attitude alright.  She's sweet, but she's got attitude. DH says it's further proof of pets being like their owners.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 09:42:22 AM »
Yes, I meant eat. I adopted from our local humane society (we live in Hawaii), and it was definitely an odd moment. I just shrugged and signed it. I'm certainly not planning on eating our house-pets, and I have no idea what incident prompted the need for a separate form.

Wow, I had at first figured it was a typo.  But, I couldn't figure out one that that made sense. 

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 10:53:59 PM »
Yes, I meant eat. I adopted from our local humane society (we live in Hawaii), and it was definitely an odd moment. I just shrugged and signed it. I'm certainly not planning on eating our house-pets, and I have no idea what incident prompted the need for a separate form.
Black Cat Alley, in Honolulu.  As I heard it, at some time in the past the chicken served in many nearby restaurants wasn't really chicken. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 02:38:59 AM »

Dogs must be outside? No apartments? Really?!

Silly Humans. I have two rottweilers (known far and wide as 'The Demon Twins') who consider the lounge and all domains inside the house to be the best place to be. The backyard is just a nice place to visit, with fun smells and a back fence to gallop up to, bark madly at the birds in the trees, and then race back to the house before taking up snooze positions once more. Biggest issues we have with them is kicking them off the lounge and the bed.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

BuffaloFang

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 08:34:18 AM »
Weird; I volunteer at an animal shelter and I usually have the opposite problem: Trying to get the adopters to look at an otherwise perfect dog (meeting all their criteria except size) when they're convinced they need a small dog because they live in an apartment.  Usually the small dog they have their eye on hates children (yes, including their little darlings) and isn't housebroken (when they don't have time to housetrain), is destructive (no deposit for you..), has separation anxiety and barks all day, etc.  But it's small!  It must be perfect for an apartment!

As far as some of the other concerns, at our shelter the staff members and volunteers tend to know the animals quite well so if you're honest about what you're looking for, they may or may not steer you in another direction.  We have turned down an elderly man (who was using a cane to walk) from an intensely high-energy dog (I walked the dog once and it almost dragged me into the river.  And I am a 30-something extreme sports athlete) but were open to him adopting a large breed dog - just not that one.  We've turned down people who wanted an outdoor dog who were looking at a dog that's spent its entire time indoors, and vice versa.  Oftentimes it's not that the adopter isn't providing a perfect doggie/cat home - it's just not a perfect home for *that* particular dog/cat.

magicdomino

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »
In all fairness to apartment people looking for a dog, some apartment and condos have a limit on dog size.  In fact, I had a similar discussion with a friend whose new condo building voted for a 25 pound limit.  Friend voted for it; I pointed out that 25 pounds is barely big enough for the larger cat breeds, much less a lot of perfectly good couch potato dogs. 

POF

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2014, 11:35:14 AM »
We wanted a golden retriever and the rescue process for us was so burdensome ( I adopted 2 children internationally - so I am not unaware of paperwork ) that we finally gave up and we bought a dog from a pet store.

Rescue organization wanted the right to remove the dog from us if they felt it was not being treated well.  I told them if they had cause that the dog was being mstreated they could go through the dog officer, but no .... I was not going to be on tenterhooks that they could come and remove my dog.

They also were concerned that we had 2 young children and busy lives .... OK .... but we already an elderly dog, and she was just fine.

So the boys ( 2 sons and my DH ) spotted a doggie in the window and FELL IN LOVE.  So I know it's not PC, and I should resucue instead of buy.  I said yes, and she has been the best dog ever.  As far as our busy lives .... she is really well behaved and goes most places with us ( that are dig friendly ) - she even enjoys riding shootgun with me on all my Saturday errands.

next dog - we will try the shelter across frm my work .. We adopted 2 kittens from them and it was very successful.

EMuir

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2014, 11:57:43 AM »
FYI I'm pretty sure that "We can come get the pet back" clause will never come into play. For one thing, when would the shelter have time to do home visits on all their adopted animals?  I think it's just there to give the impression that the shelter somehow knows and sees all.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
FYI I'm pretty sure that "We can come get the pet back" clause will never come into play. For one thing, when would the shelter have time to do home visits on all their adopted animals?  I think it's just there to give the impression that the shelter somehow knows and sees all.

There is no way I would adopt from a shelter with this policy.

My city has a cat by-law.  You have to get a license, same as with dogs, but they don't enforce their own by-law.  Cats are not allowed to be free roaming, except in your own yard.  And yet, when I call to complain about cats in my yard, I have to catch it and call them when I do.  But I'm not allowed to live trap it; I have to catch it.  Yeah, that's an easy thing to do.

If you adopt from the shelter, you have to get the license and then you have to renew it every year.  But since by-law won't help me when I have an issue with the roaming cats doing their business in all my gardens, I'm not inclined to give them any money.

So when I got my two, I cruised kijiji (like Craigslist) and got a pair of girls already spayed, declawed (not that I'd do that to them), one of them chipped, their food dishes, a carrier, a litterbox, all for free.  I tried to give her some money but she wouldn't take it.  I did give her son a hat I'd knitted.  And I absolutely refuse to buy a license.  My girls don't go outside so there is no reason to have by-law called on me.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Hillia

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2014, 12:30:44 PM »

We used to have this clause in our contract, and it was really just in there as a fail safe in case the animal was confiscated by animal control and we heard about it - we had some ability to claim the dog back. 

We used it once, I think, in the 10 years I was with the organization.  A neighbor of one of our adopters called - the adopter had gone on a multi-week vacation with the dog locked in the backyard (in the desert, in the summer) and it had run out of food and water after a few days.  There was no way to get in to the back yard to leave food and water.  We called the adopter, who swore at us about getting into her business, and said that the dog would be fine for another few days and she'd take care of it when she got home.  Next week.  We did manage to get the dog without opening the gate, and we never heard from her again.

POF

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2014, 01:15:28 PM »

We used to have this clause in our contract, and it was really just in there as a fail safe in case the animal was confiscated by animal control and we heard about it - we had some ability to claim the dog back. 

We used it once, I think, in the 10 years I was with the organization.  A neighbor of one of our adopters called - the adopter had gone on a multi-week vacation with the dog locked in the backyard (in the desert, in the summer) and it had run out of food and water after a few days.  There was no way to get in to the back yard to leave food and water.  We called the adopter, who swore at us about getting into her business, and said that the dog would be fine for another few days and she'd take care of it when she got home.  Next week.  We did manage to get the dog without opening the gate, and we never heard from her again.

This makes sense to me, but the folks I worked with were very intrusive and very suspicious of us.  I guess I felt like.... we got approved to adopt 2 children, we are probably OK for a pet.  But it just seemed like they were over the top cautious.  I remember a conversation about medical care.  I would always provide a pet with medcial care, but I would probably choose not to treat a long term debilitating illness.   I did point out my old Corgi blew her knee out at the age of 2 years and we had $$$ surgery done on her leg. But - she was 2 years old, she had her whole life ahead of her and she could go back to her normal /pain free /being a big pain in the butt/ life :)

If I had an elderly dog that was diagnosed with cancer I would most likely euthanize the animal. ( depending on the circumstances ).  That apprently made me a cruel animal hater in their opinion.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
If I had an elderly dog that was diagnosed with cancer I would most likely euthanize the animal. ( depending on the circumstances ).  That apprently made me a cruel animal hater in their opinion.
That was why we put Tasha to sleep when she developed liver cancer.  She was 13; average lifespan for a husky is 12-15 years. Yes, we could have laid out thousands of dollars for chemo, but she was in severe pain.  Chemo isn't an instant cure-all, and it causes its own problems.  We were not willing to put her through MORE pain on the off-chance that she could live for 2 more years. 
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Hillia

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2014, 02:37:20 PM »
That was why we put Tasha to sleep when she developed liver cancer.  She was 13; average lifespan for a husky is 12-15 years. Yes, we could have laid out thousands of dollars for chemo, but she was in severe pain.  Chemo isn't an instant cure-all, and it causes its own problems.  We were not willing to put her through MORE pain on the off-chance that she could live for 2 more years.

I had a standard speech I gave to volunteers and adopters alike: Sometimes our roles as rescuers is to provide an animal with a peaceful, dignified end.  No one likes to do it, but it isn't about us, it's about the dogs.