News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 12:54:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "No Dog Should Ever Be In An Apartment!"  (Read 36452 times)

POF

Re: "No Dog Should Ever Be In An Apartment!"
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2014, 11:55:49 AM »
One rescue was concerned that we might take our dog in our boat.... she's a golden ... our challenge is preventig her frm randonly jumping out after fish / ducks .....

I think you are fine with a Corgi in the plane as long as you don't let him solo.  >:D

knitwicca

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2014, 12:49:52 PM »

I think you are fine with a Corgi in the plane as long as you don't let him solo.  >:D

He couldn't reach the rudder pedals.  ;)

Hillia

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »
Yeah, those are all examples of rescuers waaay too emotionally involved.

It's very tough to balance the emotional side of rescue - learning the dogs' personalities, grieving over the sometimes horrific, sometimes plain stupid situations that brought them in to rescue - with the rational side.  Our purpose is to find forever homes.  If we have too many dogs in foster care, it limits our ability to help other dogs.  It's a slippery slope, and how some animal hoarders think that they're rescuing.

We do see a ridiculous number of dogs come in to rescue because the family had a baby and they just can't have a dog and a baby at the same time.  Lots of biting back remarks on those intakes.

But you work 8 hours a day?  Yay, you can afford dog food!  Now, if you work 16 hour shifts 4 days a week, let's talk about arrangements for dog walkers/doggie day care/visiting neighbors.
Go out on the boat?  Yay, you're active...please take the dog with you, he'll love it!
You're single?  Woot, the dog will be your close companion!  (or: You're married/living with people/have a family?  Woot!  More hugs for the dog!)

POF

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2014, 04:23:20 PM »
Yeah, those are all examples of rescuers waaay too emotionally involved.

It's very tough to balance the emotional side of rescue - learning the dogs' personalities, grieving over the sometimes horrific, sometimes plain stupid situations that brought them in to rescue - with the rational side.  Our purpose is to find forever homes.  If we have too many dogs in foster care, it limits our ability to help other dogs.  It's a slippery slope, and how some animal hoarders think that they're rescuing.

We do see a ridiculous number of dogs come in to rescue because the family had a baby and they just can't have a dog and a baby at the same time.  Lots of biting back remarks on those intakes.

But you work 8 hours a day?  Yay, you can afford dog food!  Now, if you work 16 hour shifts 4 days a week, let's talk about arrangements for dog walkers/doggie day care/visiting neighbors.
Go out on the boat?  Yay, you're active...please take the dog with you, he'll love it!
You're single?  Woot, the dog will be your close companion!  (or: You're married/living with people/have a family?  Woot!  More hugs for the dog!)

Exactly the correct attitude.  Our non rescue dog has had a very happy life. 2 boys who dote on her, a big fenced yard, a beach house and a boat.  DH works nights, I work days - she goes everywhere with him.  When we take DS to Xcountry meets - she goes with us and is the unofficial mascot of the team.  OK - she tries to go and run with the team in the race and gets very perturbed that she can't.

Her only illness / injury is due to her unfortunate love of toads.  She picks them up and puts them on the deck.  Once in while - she gets a reaction to them and we give her Benadryl.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »
Buddy of mine got himself a bulldog.  He's a fisherman.  First thing he did was get a lifejacket for the dog so he could take him out fishing with him.

Bulldogs don't swim so well...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

wheeitsme

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2014, 06:21:25 PM »
Buddy of mine got himself a bulldog.  He's a fisherman.  First thing he did was get a lifejacket for the dog so he could take him out fishing with him.

Bulldogs don't swim so well...

We're thinking of getting one for our Black Lab.  She swims great.  But I'd rather not have to depend on that if something happens.   :)

POF

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2014, 07:26:18 PM »
We had one for our corgi.  She became very upset when DH and DS ( 5 at the time ). Took the little red inflatable dinghy out without her.  She jumped off the dock ( no one saw her )  and went swimming up the channel after them. 2 kayakers  saw her far out and pulled her on some rocks.  They then saw me on the beach and asked if I knew who had a corgi. 

She liked it a lot - it helped her keep afloat.

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2014, 08:37:30 PM »
I'm sure the rescue that took in our wonderful Figgy bit back some remarks. Rescue got him at 3; we had him for 12 wonderful years afterwards. Thank you, stupid parents! He had every sign of being a well-beloved dog (including good manners and knowing how to get under the covers without an invitation); I understand her new hubby didn't like him (jealous?), and when she got pregnant, he & his parents put a lot of pressure on her. So, I take back "stupid parents" and substitute "nasty hubby."  >:(

When I was a kid, we had a dachshund who went swimming with us. I remember watching her from underwater, and her little legs were so darn cute! She'd follow our rowboat unless we took her along, so we did.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:44:18 PM by RooRoo »
For in the fatness of these pursy times
Virtue itself of vice must pardon beg,
Yea, curb and woo for leave to do him good.
     Hamlet, Act 3, scene 4, lines 144-146
       (Pursy: wheezing)

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2014, 09:21:13 PM »
I'm sure the rescue that took in our wonderful Figgy bit back some remarks. Rescue got him at 3; we had him for 12 wonderful years afterwards. Thank you, stupid parents! He had every sign of being a well-beloved dog (including good manners and knowing how to get under the covers without an invitation); I understand her new hubby didn't like him (jealous?), and when she got pregnant, he & his parents put a lot of pressure on her. So, I take back "stupid parents" and substitute "nasty hubby."  >:(
My ILs, particularly MIL, tried to tell us that we had to get rid of our pets when I got pregnant.  The dog would be jealous and attack the baby; the cat would smother her. 

We ignored them. 

The cat took one look at newborn DD, and avoided her for the next 2 years.  The dog stretched out her neck, snuffled DD all over, and decided that it was her job to protect this people-puppy. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2014, 09:24:59 PM »
My ILs are like that too, as if.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2014, 09:42:44 PM »
Yeah, they were much more emphatic than "You ought to...".  More like "You WILL!"  As if they could issue orders and we'd obey.  ::)
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »
Apparently greyhounds are very low-energy as well. I read a story about a greyhound rescue that compared them to cats. They like to laze around in the sun a lot.

My friends rescue greyhounds & I swear those dogs would be more than happy to be carried everywhere! They are the laziest creatures but so darn pretty :)

Asharah

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2014, 12:16:21 AM »
We got our first Keeshond a few month's before older sis had her first baby. The first time Mom watched the baby, brother informed dog, "that's a human puppy," and everything was fine.
Asharah

mmswm

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2014, 02:40:30 AM »
I've heard these rumors about lazy mastiffs. My own mastiff seems to defy the stereotype. He goes on multiple long walks a day. The only time he has ever planted himself on the sidewalk was when he was bound and determined *not* to go home.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2014, 07:45:00 AM »
I submit this photo of DS and Harley. Harley is exactly 6 weeks older than DS. Happy 16th Birthday, Harley!

The only issue we had was pacifier theft on Harley's part.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien