Author Topic: "No Dog Should Ever Be In An Apartment!"  (Read 13162 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: "No Dog Should Ever Be In An Apartment!"
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2014, 08:06:48 PM »
Bostons can't do much more than gum you, though. Got teeny tiny teeth.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2014, 10:51:38 PM »
I've been thinking of this thread every morning for awhile now.  We have an adult Akita 6+ years old.  We got her from the shelter 3 years ago and they said she was 3, but an amazing number of shelter dogs are claimed to be 3.  So, I think 3 means "Not elderly or a teenager".  She had silver  in her muzzle, so I always add the "+" to the age. 
Being a Dog Whisperer fan, I walked her religiously every morning before work.  As a fan of the Sit command, she always had to do a good sit before I would walk her.  One day a few weeks ago, she didn't sit and I was running late so I said "To heck with this" and just gave her some intense loving.  You see where this is going right?  She'd really rather not walk.  She will do a Great Sit to get loving though.  But her/our laziness makes me think of this thread. 

StillandSilent

« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2014, 06:43:45 PM »
 On paper, I'm the worst dog owner ever.  I live in a 400sq foot apartment with no yard.   Have one coydog (coyote dog hybrid), and one intact male whom I have no inention of neutering. 

Yet, somehow, I've managed to foster puppues and adults with amazing resultss.  I've had shelties, shar-peis, shibas, dachsunds and everything in between.  If you want to make it work, you will.  If you don't, don't bother getting the dog in the first place.

Rescue is hard, and its easy to be jaded.  My current foster is 2, and has been in 3 homes.  He's a difficult breed, and I will be careful of where I place him, but apartment living is the least of my concerns with him.

POF

« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2014, 08:08:41 PM »
So we were at the Lakehouse this weekend with Duckie.  As I posted before - the one rescue was concerned because we might take her in the boat.  Our problem is keeping her in the boat ! She tried to jump across me and onto the dock to run up to meet her boyfriend. She missed and had to swim to the beach.... she though it was fun and now has to be leashed on the boat - because she tried to jump out again.

She also thought she could slimb into my kayak in the water - for the record she can't and it tipped me into the really icy water - yowsa.

mmswm

« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2014, 11:38:29 PM »

A funny part of the process that I almost forgot was one of the standard questions was "Do you plan to use this dog as a guard dog?" Before we could even answer, she looked at our 16 pound spaniel mix and said, "I assume no."

I am not a dog person, but in movies the Dobermans and Rottweilers are the vicious guard dogs.  The ones I've met in real life?  The dobermans were love bugs and the chihuahua's and Boston terrier wanted you to know THEY were in charge.

I have a 125lb Mastiff and a 10 pound Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix.  Wanna guess who's the aggressive one?
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

RooRoo

• I’m out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2014, 11:37:42 PM »
One thing I learned from teaching Dog Obedience classes for 11 years: Dogs do not understand size the way we do. I used to say that the "biggest" dog in my classes was a miniature pinscher.

I adopted a giant coonhound puppy a few years ago. When he arrived, he was 10 weeks old, and slightly bigger than my 8 year old miniature Bull Terrier. She "raised" him, teaching him how our "pack" worked, playing with him, and showing him that she was the Big Boss.

Now he's huge - the size of a small Great Dane - and she's going on 16, and just a shade less than blind and deaf from age. He could squash her with one of his Mighty Paws.* But he still backs down to her.

*Whenever I see his muddy paw prints, I always say they are "the footprints of a gigantic hound!"  Cookies for whoever can name the source...
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2014, 11:46:30 PM »
Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, of course!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2014, 03:05:12 AM »
Unless you're referencing "The Hounds of Baskerville" BBC Sherlock series adaptation (I'm hearing those words in Russell Tovey's voice).
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

NestHolder

« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2014, 01:06:36 PM »
The chief blogger at www.shakesville.com has a rescued Greyhound, a rescued mutt and three rescued cats, and reading about them—and in particular the story of the dogs' progress—is a huge pleasure.  The greyhound likes to sleep, usually in the most ridiculous way he can find.

gen xer

« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2014, 12:32:20 PM »
I have two calico cats from a local rescue that thankfully wasn't ridiculous in their demands.  If they were then there would have been two more cats sitting in a cage for lord knows how long.

Some of these rescues have to realize that they will be the ones contributing to the problem if they don't lighten up.   I get that they want to make sure the animals go to responsible homes...I do.  But here's the thing.  I can get a cat from a "free kittens" ad in the local paper without the interrogation, the forms, the list of do's and don'ts etc.  Make it too hard and people will just stop adopting from shelters.

I have to say too....watch the judgement with respect to people who have to get rid of their pet.  Don't get me wrong - I hate when people get an animal and they haven't thought it through.  It seems to happen a lot with dogs when people don't fully grasp just how much work goes into being a responsible dog owner.  Don't get a pet on a whim!!!  But....sometimes people have a really good reason for getting rid of their animal.  Maybe someone lost their job and they can't afford it any longer.  Maybe someone has developed allergies.  Maybe they can't break their cat from peeing on the furniture.  My point is that there could be any number of reasons that someone needs to get rid of a pet and sometimes it is totally legitimate!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2014, 03:45:29 PM »

I have to say too....watch the judgement with respect to people who have to get rid of their pet.  Don't get me wrong - I hate when people get an animal and they haven't thought it through.  It seems to happen a lot with dogs when people don't fully grasp just how much work goes into being a responsible dog owner.  Don't get a pet on a whim!!!  But....sometimes people have a really good reason for getting rid of their animal.  Maybe someone lost their job and they can't afford it any longer.  Maybe someone has developed allergies.  Maybe they can't break their cat from peeing on the furniture.  My point is that there could be any number of reasons that someone needs to get rid of a pet and sometimes it is totally legitimate!

POD. One of my BFFs works with a breed rescue group, including fostering. She's told me some very sad stories about owner give ups, due to circumstances completely beyond their control. People losing their homes, owners passing away, and their friends/family aren't able to keep the dog, and so on. I'm part of their FB group, and sometimes people who aren't fully aware of circumstances, can be very judgmental. My feeling is, at least the owners cared enough to put them with a rescue, rather than just dumping them somewhere. At least that way they are taken care of, and eventually go to a new home.

There are some who come from homes that quite honestly shouldn't have ever had a pet, but she had one foster, an older girl, sweet as can be, whose family lost their home. and were heartbroken they had to give her up. But my friend's sister and BIL adopted her, and she's now completely spoiled rotten!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
There is a bird exhibit at a Renaissance Festival that exhibits birds to raise funds for parrot, macaw, and similar rescues...some of those birds live close to a century - something that not everyone thinks of when they get one...who is used to thinking about what to do with a pet who might outlive your thirty year old child? 

Birds apparently can be picky about their next owner - at least one bird in the exhibit has been adopted & brought back because it didn't seem to get along with the new owner/family.  But it was quite chatty with passerby at the Festival, I wondered if it liked the extra attention from large numbers of people and then some peace & quiet the rest of the time?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2014, 11:47:48 AM »

A funny part of the process that I almost forgot was one of the standard questions was "Do you plan to use this dog as a guard dog?" Before we could even answer, she looked at our 16 pound spaniel mix and said, "I assume no."

I am not a dog person, but in movies the Dobermans and Rottweilers are the vicious guard dogs.  The ones I've met in real life?  The dobermans were love bugs and the chihuahua's and Boston terrier wanted you to know THEY were in charge.

I have a 125lb Mastiff and a 10 pound Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix.  Wanna guess who's the aggressive one?

Our cocker spaniel tries so hard to be the boss dog. The Aussie ignores it till she crosses his line, then he sits on her. Literally.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls