News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 24, 2017, 04:45:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Family member as photographer  (Read 9414 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Family member as photographer
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »
There's also apps you can set up for your wedding/event for guests getting shots with their phones - they can all get uploaded/shared to one place for the HC & guests to see later.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

gmatoy

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »
Our DD and DSIL had a friend do their wedding. Well, he was the SO of DD's friend. They flew in, and did some tourist things and he did the wedding. They flew home and before the pictures were given to DD and DSIL, the friend and the photographer broke up. I will admit to panic on my part! Luckily, the photographer kept his word. (Wedding pictures for airfare and hotel for them and their adorable daughter.) So, it turned out well, but I had some sleepless nights. (Okay, that was meant to be funny because the wedding was in Seattle. ;D)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 02:37:15 PM »
We got my husband's uncle to photograph our wedding. I admit being petrified because for all I know, he'd done a total of 2 weddings before (my in-laws' in 1970-something, and my sister-in-law's 5+ years ago); he was a professional TRANSIT photographer, for goodness' sake!  He did a perfectly decent job! My aunt with a background in advertising/portrait photography filled in any gaps. I was a little sad for half a second at the lack of funky style or whatever, and we got a few delightfully awkward family photos, but a year later, I've decided it was perfection.

Every single local photographer we found cost at least as much as our entire wedding budget. I had to take the chance!

I made my own album and got prints online; we got one professionally framed and it's great. We spent around $200 total including gift cards, prints galore, album, disposable cameras and developing, and pro framing. Guest photos were uploaded for free to weddingturtle.com.

Add $100-ish for a 1-on-1 honeymoon photo session that got us all the gorgeous beach portraits we could want in that too-hip style I thought was missing from the wedding, and I'm pretty sure neither of us needs a camera in our faces ever again!

Bottlecaps

• She boxed her shadow and she won.
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 08:50:27 AM »
One of our good friends is doing our pictures. He works in a totally different field now, but used to do photography professionally and still does it has a hobby, as he still has his pro equipment. He wants to do it as his and his girlfriend's gift to us, but I do want to give him a little something at least for his time. The only photos we plan on doing are the pre-wedding shots, and maybe having him snap a few during the ceremony, and then as for the reception, people can take pictures as they please. I've seen a lot of our friend's work, so I know I'll be happy with the results. :) If he's OK with it, since I know my way around Photoshop, I'm just going to have him send me the raws and I'll edit (if necessary) and print them myself, as it will save him a lot of work. :)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 09:44:25 AM »
My sister's then boyfriend and now DH and my FIL are both very good photographers. I was very happy to have the pictures and since our wedding was on a tight budget, it worked well for us. DH and I are not "posed portrait" people so we are happy with what we have.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

JoieGirl7

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 09:52:16 AM »
The uncle in this case was a professional photographer-- just passed his prime, in my opinion.  Very 80s lighting and staging.

While I was getting into the dress (all layered up in spanx), he wanted to come up to photograph and kept calling up to the room to rush me.  I didn't want those shots in the first place, but he had insisted that I would eventually.  Nope.  Didn't use one of them for final prints.  He tried to pushed us to stage the first dance before the actual dancing started, to fake cut the cake before dinner, and while I was eating dessert kept on pestering me to cut the cake (the cake cutting was planned for later, after the first dance).  I saw no point in manufacturing artificial scenarios to replicate what would be occuring for real soon enough.  I had made this clear in the pre-meetings  I wanted photographs to capture the *actual* moments...

My favourite shots from the night were the candids taken by the best man, who is a professional in his own right and brought his camera for fun.

That'd drive me nuts having someone constantly at me while trying to enjoy my own wedding.

We had a pro at our wedding but in retrospect she took too many pictures.  i think I have a picture with my husband and I with every single guest there.  The problem is that I never really got to finish my dinner or my desert.  I was starving later on when we were at our hotel.

And the other thing was that she used thos huge flash bulbs so my whole evening sI had giant black spots in my vision from repeated flashes.  Ugh!

cicero

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 06:52:02 AM »
at my first wedding (1981), we had a friend of my brother who was a sort of professional photographer. I didn't really care about any of the wedding stuff (i didn't want a BWW in the first place), so it was fine by me. the photos were great and he gave us all the copies etc that were promised. we didn't want video because in those days the videographers took over the wedding with their big cameras, lights and miles of cables.

when my sister got married a few years later, very good friend of the family's daughter's boyfriend (or maybe husband at that time, i don't remember) was an amateur photographer (basically a rich kid who had all the expensive equipment). they offered that he will be the photographer and he was really really bad. he took nice photos of "people in the park" but had no idea how to stage professional photos, lighting, etc. my sister's wedding photos are just bad.

when sister number 2 got married a year or so after that, same friend offered his services. luckily sister was expecting this and she told him "oh, that's ok, i really would rather you guys just came as guests. I saw how hard John had to work at nancy's wedding. I want you to be able to sit and shmooze and dance" and she hired a real professional.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

SheltieMom

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2014, 10:51:30 PM »
 At my daughter's wedding last year, the groom's family offered to pay for the pictures, if they could use his cousin. She is a semi-professional photographer, and did their engagement and her bridal pictures, and they were really great, so we were fine with her doing the wedding.
The pictures she took are really good, but the majority feature the groom's family. For example, there are 12 pictures of MOG walking down the aisle, and 1 of me. There are at least a dozen of getting ready photos of the groom and his mom, and 2 of me and my daughter. Both of them were taken when we were hugging, and you can't see her face at all. She also didn't take any reception pictures except on the dance floor end. Most of my family doesn't dance, so there are no pictures of them, or any pictures of the tables or decorations or food, most of which I made. Yes, I'm a little sad.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Mergatroyd

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2014, 11:01:22 PM »
The photographer was the one thing I refused to cheap out on at my wedding. We had a court wedding with a restaurant reception, but a professional photo shoot in a studio the same day. (It was Feb, and -40. No outside pics!) While I sometimes wish I had been a bit more picky about my dress, I've never regretted paying a pro for pictures.

DCGirl

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 03:54:10 PM »
My stepmother, who worked in a bridal shop and as a wedding planner, always said that the one you shouldn't skimp on is the photograpy.  The flowers wilt, the cake gets eaten, and you'll never wear the dress again.  The one thing you'll have left is the pictures.  She married my dad after my sister had been married for several years.  My sister had her husband's cousin take the pictures at her wedding, and there was hardly anything usable. 

norrina

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 05:10:41 PM »
For my first wedding (in '99) a family friend who did quite a bit of nature scene photography, and a childhood friend of mine that was taking a photography class for college, offered to do our photography as a gift to us. We were on a very strict budget (a professional would have run us 75% of our total, minimum), so we graciously accepted. The family friend gave us an album of long-distance shots of everyone's backs. The childhood friend never gave us anything at all. Luckily, one of my aunts had been snapping photographs throughout, and we got a lovely, unexpected, album from her after the event was over. The photos were very well done, and she even got some shots of the impromptu family reunion and wedding preparations the day before the wedding. I left the album behind when my now-ex and I separated, but it turns out she had given copies of the album to other family members, and a couple years ago my grandparents gave me their copy. I really cherish the shots that she got of my family.

For my 2nd wedding (in Aug. 2014) my younger brother, who is now a professional wedding photographer, offered to do our photography as our wedding gift. We were having an immediate-family-only, 13 guest, 100% DIY wedding. DH and I catered the event ourselves, and our youngest brother officiated. We had a 5 minute ceremony on the beach at "sunrise" (except it ended up raining), and then walked back to the beach house we had rented and spent the rest of the day visiting, cooking and eating, and playing Guitar Hero. (There are some great photos of me playing drums and rolling sushi in my wedding dress.) Essentially, we had a 12+ hour wedding. It really wouldn't have made sense to have a hired photographer. We had to wait a few months for our photos, because August is a popular wedding month and my brother was busy getting together albums for his paying customers, but when we did get the album it was well-worth the wait. I do wish we had thought to ask if my brother could use a self-timer to take some photos of everyone together, but that's the only shot I miss having.

BarensMom

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 08:21:05 AM »

For my 2nd wedding (in Aug. 2014)

Did you invite TARDIS?

norrina

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 09:08:19 AM »

For my 2nd wedding (in Aug. 2014)

Did you invite TARDIS?
D'oh! It was last year, August 2013. (I blame my job. I have to complete my files within one year of opening them, so I've been calendaring a bunch of stuff for 2015 recently, which makes it seem reasonable to me that 2014 was last year.)