Author Topic: Epic Battle - Getting Kitty into carrier  (Read 3860 times)

dawbs

Re: Epic Battle - Getting Kitty into carrier
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »
My loud kitty believes if blues women are singing (specifically, "Sapphire, the uppity blues women"), then she doesn't have to sing the song of her people in the car.  On of their CDs accompanies us to the vets

The 'bad' kitty just does the low growl no matter what music you expose him to.

Hexteacher

• The time has come to grow old disgracefully.
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2014, 06:18:13 PM »
This reminds me of the time we took our first family cat to the vet for the first time. 

As I recall I was 10 years old at the time and my sister was 8.  For reasons of timing and logistics my mother decided that she would have to take the cat plus us kids to the vet.  The only problem was that my mother had not seen the need to purchase a cat carrier.  The solution she came up with was a card board box and a strong piece of string tried to the collar as an ersatz leash on the cat.  Needless to say this did not work.

Initially the cat made her displeasure known vocally, as well as with claws.  Having wrapped the maniac mincing machine from hell cat, and dropped her with towel and string leash into the box she was placed on the back seat of the car between myself and my sister. At which point us kids were given the clear instructions, keep hold of the string and don't let her out of the box.  Within two minutes the cat had clawed its way through the bottom of the box and made a beeline for the nice dark space under the driver's seat of the car. Naturally my sister and I hauled back on the string to try to get her back.  Up came the string, the collar, but no cat. 

Now free the cat decided to investigate this interesting new place she was in.  She crawled out from under the seat and onto my mother's lap.  Not content with staying there, she then decided to see what was going on.  The result was a loudly purring cat with its rear paws on my mother's lap, the front paws on the centre of the steering wheel, and its head stretched over the level of the dash board so she could she where she was going. 

She 'helped' drive the rest of the way to the vets.  A nice shiney new cat carrier was purchased the very next day.
it's ALIVE!! IT'S ALIVE!!!! IT'S.......oh bugger it's coming right for me..." Baron Von Frankenstein.

veronaz

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2014, 06:46:32 PM »
^
^

;D

Sounds like SNL's Toonces, the driving cat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_hwerqogzQ
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:50:09 PM by veronaz »

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »
We had one who did that- he was all over the car- under the seat, in everyone's lap, looking out the windows, and even in the trunk. All the while meowing rather pitifully.
And this was no small cat- how about a 30 pound lardbutt?

Figgie

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
Spike is 24 pounds and he goes completely limp and pretty much has to be stuffed in the carrier.  I once made the mistake of putting him alone in the carrier instead of with his brother Mike.  If Spike is alone, he shrieks continuously.  If he is in the same carrier with Mike, it is shriek, thump, shriek, thump and he is finally blessedly quiet.  Mike has sensitive ears and even though he weighs a third of what his brother weighs, he doesn't tolerate his brother shrieking in the carrier on the way to the vet.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2014, 04:44:56 PM »
Regardless of whether the carrier is always accessible (it is) or how I put him in it (head first, feet first, top load), Cat Alex develops several extra feet and amazing speed when it comes time to go in the carrier. As we're headed to the vet in the morning, I might try the pillow case, although I'll have to use one that I don't mind if it gets shredded.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

goldilocks

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
When I got my kitty, I lived in a apt until he was about 2.   when I moved,  I stuffed him and his sister into a carrier and moved them to the new house.   

when I finally opened the carrier (it had been 2-3 hours before I was able to let him out), he wouldn't get out.     At all.   My sister kept moving the carrier (with him in it) from room to room because she felt sorry for him and didn't want him to be alone in the kitchen.  Did I mention he weighs about 20 - 25 pounds?

anyway, the poor thing finally came out.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2014, 04:57:53 PM »
I used to have a very small cat (> 7 pounds) who I swear was capable of turning invisible if she thought the carriers were coming out.  So, I learned - always catch Molly first, because if I didn't catch her first I never would because I'd never find her.  The other two cats were much larger and didn't have that many places to hide. 

Of the group I have now, none of them are a real trial to crate. I have small dog crates for two of them since they're so large; our 9-pounder will fit into a regular cat crate, but our 12-pounder and 16-pounder are both too big.

Micah

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2014, 09:09:44 AM »
Had to take our newest cat, Titten Kitten, to the vet to be desexed and chipped the other day. She'd never been in a carrier before. When I got her I brought her home loose in the car (she lay purring on the passengers seat the whole way). Her previous owners had taken her for all her shots the same way. Loose in the car and carried her in.

I don't agree with taking loose cats into the vet. It only takes a dog or something to decide it doesn't like the kitty and you can have one heck of a mess on your hands. When I worked reception for a vet we hated people bringing in loose cats. In a carrier they are contained and safe.

Anyway, I got her into the carrier by putting it on the floor and opening the door. She LOVES boxes so she jumped right in. I shut the door and we were good to go. When I picked her up she was still a bit groggy and felt the need to yowl the ode of the stoned kitty all the way home. The next day she saw the carrier on the floor of our bedroom. Up arched the back, out fluffed the fur. She hissed furiously at it and dived under the bed. I'm thinking getting her in there next time might not be so easy ::)
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

MrTango

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »
Personally, I'd just start putting the cat's food dish in the carrier.  Once it gets hungry enough, it'll get over its fear of getting in the carrier.

Little Girl Blue

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2014, 02:47:24 PM »
With my late kitty I used the feet-first, door-up method of stuffing her into the carrier.   My other cat is a strange creature that enjoys going into his carrier even after being taken to the vet for, as my husband refers to it, "tutoring", and subsequent yearly visits for shots.  If I put the carrier out he will almost invariably crawl into it and curl up for a nap.  Getting him out again at the vet is an entirely different story, however.

-Blue

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »
Yeah, I just unscrew the lid on the carrier now. Otherwise he won't come out.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

peach2play

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2014, 04:48:11 PM »
I use the small dog crates because I have one 16lb and one 20lb who both hate to go into the carrier.  The bonus is you can get a fold-able luggage cart to move the crate around with.  The door is much larger than a regular cat carrier and a lot easier to shove them into.  I am going to have to train them to go to the crates though on command because we are moving into a fire zone (mountains) and if the worst happens I want to be able to get them out.

Vall

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2014, 05:18:42 PM »
I use the small dog crates because I have one 16lb and one 20lb who both hate to go into the carrier.  The bonus is you can get a fold-able luggage cart to move the crate around with.  The door is much larger than a regular cat carrier and a lot easier to shove them into.  I am going to have to train them to go to the crates though on command because we are moving into a fire zone (mountains) and if the worst happens I want to be able to get them out.
I haven't really thought about it before but our crates are small dog crates.  I didn't know that the doors were bigger (I've never had a cat crate).

StarFaerie

« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2014, 12:55:36 AM »
Had to put Linus in his crate yesterday to go to the vet. Gave him a treat, lured him in to the crate with another and closed the door. Then realised we got the time wrong and let him out again for another hour. Then did exactly the same thing again an hour later. He falls for it every time. He's such a good natured but incredibly stupid cat.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:19:45 AM by StarFaerie »