Author Topic: Epic Battle - Getting Kitty into carrier  (Read 3525 times)

katycoo

Re: Epic Battle - Getting Kitty into carrier
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 12:21:31 AM »
1. Prop carrier on its end so the opening is facing the ceiling.

2. Lift kitty under armpits and lower feet-first into carrier, stabilising carrier between your feet if going alone.  Kitty should stand on hind legs when he reaches the bottom.

3. Push kitty's font feet and face into the carrier and close door.

4. Gently return the closed carrier onto its base.

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 01:01:14 AM »
With Gunter we leave the carrier out two hours before and he will eventually crawl in on his own. He likes it. With Perl we use the towel method. Jericho is a different beast entirely. He's very smart so tricking him won't work. I only resort to fighting him in to the carrier if he is actually sick (he has IBS, not pretty when sick). If its just for a check up DH drives and Jericho rides in my lap, much more peaceful.

Vall

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 01:03:29 AM »
Veronaz, it good to hear that kitty is home, safe and sound.  Since you'll be needing another vet visit soon, perhaps you could leave the carrier out somewhere for kitty to get more comfortable with it?

My howling kitties are just like SamiHami described except without the cool parrot.  I would have burst out laughing if my vet had a cool parrot like that.  But still been embarrassed...

shadowfox79

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 02:46:07 AM »
Ah, cats and carriers. I swear my dear departed Tigger would grow extra legs whenever I tried to lower him in. He certainly managed to slam the lid shut with his tail.

And he would scream abuse all the way there and then start a chorus at the vet's with every other cat in the waiting room. Not to mention being sick all over the carrier.

Dash and Spot don't like it either, but as long as they can see each other, they're mostly OK. Although getting them out at the vet's proved to be a different story the first time we took them. Dash braced all four paws against the sides and held on as long as possible.

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2014, 03:01:08 AM »
The pillowcase method..........sounds traumatic. :-\

(think how I'd feel if someone came up behind me and put pillowcase over my head.)
Here is an instructive video.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....gasp!
I meant, yeah no.  This does not work for my cats.  Grabbing them by the scruff of the neck allows more control.  But if they don't want to go into the carrier, they . ain't . goin' . in . the . carrier
For those of you whose cats do calm down when being scruffed, here is a video on how to scruff a cat.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2014, 03:43:15 AM »
I didn't realize they made cardboard cat carriers.  My kitty loves cardboard boxes.

We had a cardboard carrier for a while.

Let's just say stressed cat + cardboard carrier = leakage (and that was with us having padded the bottom with a couple of towels)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2014, 03:53:11 AM »
My late kitty fought like everything so I'd pick him up turn him upside down and put him in head first. By the time he could get rightside up and face the cage front to make a dash the door was closed.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2014, 09:06:40 AM »
Ah, cats and carriers. I swear my dear departed Tigger would grow extra legs whenever I tried to lower him in. He certainly managed to slam the lid shut with his tail.

And he would scream abuse all the way there and then start a chorus at the vet's with every other cat in the waiting room. Not to mention being sick all over the carrier.

Dash and Spot don't like it either, but as long as they can see each other, they're mostly OK. Although getting them out at the vet's proved to be a different story the first time we took them. Dash braced all four paws against the sides and held on as long as possible.

None of our cats enjoy car rides anywhere, but we've decided that they just object to the music. We gauge their favorites by which songs they howl least during. Mumsy prefers Keith Urban. Henry likes Aqua and other 90s hits. :P

While we were at the vet, Henry wailed in protest almost the entire time. He only quit when one of the resident cats (a little black and white tripod kitty, SO CUTE) came over. When DH petted the other cat, Henry promptly switched from "Oh, Woe! I am a caged beast!" to "Hey.... who's that jerk? Pet me, not him!" He sulked the whole way home because we dared be nice to that other cat.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2014, 09:13:01 AM »
Last time I took my two to the vet, the demon cat bit me.  The other one was fine but very UNHAPPY with the whole process.  She didn't yowl; she generally just didn't move at all.  Very pliant, but more as a protest, I think.

I got them home and the demon cat was all over me, wanting pets.  I didn't want anything to do with her after she bit me.  The other one?  Sat on the floor in front of me, where I could see her, with her back to me the entire evening.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2014, 09:32:29 AM »
I had a cat years ago who was a sweetheart, but she would yowl and cry at maximum volume whenever we went to the vet. It was embarrassing. There I would be, in the waiting room with other people with their quiet and well behaved pets...while Layla was making a horrible racket. One time she actually stopped for a minute, and the parrot that lives full time in the vets office loudly said "dingdangity that cat over there!"

Everyone-employees included-burst into laughter!

That is hilarious!!

We have one plastic carrier and had one cardboard. Then Cosmo clawed his way out of the cardboard in literally seconds. Apparently the ventilation holes are the perfect size for sticking a paw out and shredding that thing. They don't both fit in the plastic so I guess I'll have to get a 2nd one before their next vet visit. My other cat, Connie, goes into the carrier okay but he pees a little once he realizes that's where he's headed. Poor baby.  :-\

spookycatlady

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »
When I had to take Clyde the First and Soda to the vet, they would both make the most pitiful sounds.  Getting those two in their carriers was fairly easy because their guiding force was, "WHAT'S IN THE BOX? IS IT MINE? IT'S MINE."  But once the door shut, or the zipper zipped?  Oof.  The song of their people was a long, heartbreaking dirge.

When they were less than a year old, Clyde the First had to go for surgery.  He was so sweet and docile going in.  Everyone fell in love with him, but the day I fetched him post-surgery was a different story.  The receptionist had a worn-out look and I heard the most awful caterwauling coming from the back room. 

I asked, "Is that my cat making that sound?"

She looked up, "Yeah.  He's been giving us what-for all morning."

I was so proud of the little fellah, to be honest.  He had his fight back, which meant he was feeling better.

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2014, 11:33:41 AM »
The main reason we quit using the carrier (other than we found the harness easier) was that one time we took them and were seen by the "old" doctor.  Family practice, one son became a vet to take over, other son did their books and a daughter ran the office I think.

So "old" doc turns the carrier on end so cage door is at the top, reaches down into it and hauls poor Otis out BY ONE BACK LEG!!!  all the time clawing and lifting the carrier and refusing to let it go.

I tried to tell myself he wasn't really being hurt but we stopped using the carrier and started requesting one of the other doctors on duty.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »
I don't have anything to add to the ideas offered by other cat-wranglers. (We use the hind-end first, gravity assist method)

My coworker went to a...cat acrobatics? tricks? type of show where this lady had trained a herd of cats to do all sorts of tricks, and they more or less were obedient to her commands for running an obstacle course or leaping/flipping etc, but would occasionally wander off into the audience. She wasn't worried about that though, because apparently, one thing that they were SOLID on was going to their carriers when the signal was given.  She said she recommended at least that bit of training for all cats, because there are a variety of emergency situations where it could be useful as well as the ordinary vet visits. Apparently, with the right treats, cats can be clicker trained similarly to dogs. (I am still skeptical)

I clicker-trained Jack when he was a kitten.  He sits on command, comes inside, runs to the cat tree, jumps, and gets down on command. 

He's not solid because I didn't train him that thoroughly, but the Sweetie got him off the roof once with the Down command.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
DD's (Ambrosia Hino) Callie (for calico) can become a whirling dervish of destruction - which is why I call that teeny weeny little bundle of fur "Kali" (that & I ended up in the ER getting shots because she didn't LIKE the way I gave her some antibiotics while her other slave was on vacation). 

She must have been a witch's cat in another life - or possibly a stunt cat in the movies.  She is fine as long as you let her ride either your shoulder or the back of the car seat....so she can navigate & take over steering if you fall asleep (that's my best guess - either that or she just wants to SEE what's happening).

Our cat, Diana, another calico - does not like the carrier or the vet.  Moving from Georgia to Texas (14 hour drive at highway speeds without stops for fuel, food, bathroom breaks, or sleep) she sang the song of her people (and it was clearly the blues version) to the point where it has taken over five years for her throat to heal enough to get her voice back....

The vet?  What if we take off down the road for another 14 hours plus?  She wants to make sure that we know that she does not want to move again!

A predecessor, Bandit, did NOT like the carrier.  Until the first time some bumptious Great Dane puppy ran up to the carrier and tried to lick him through the bars.  He was quite dignified.  He retreated quietly to the most distant corner, between grilled openings, and stayed there - quietly - until we got into the closed office (he checked to make sure there were no puppies in there while coming out slowly).  He never again howled about going in the carrier - I think that he figured it beat the heck out of getting a licking from some dad blasted PUPPY that was five times his size!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

veronaz

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2014, 01:07:30 PM »
The pillowcase method..........sounds traumatic. :-\

(think how I'd feel if someone came up behind me and put pillowcase over my head.)
Here is an instructive video.

[snip]

Thanks!  I put a note on the carrier to try this next time.