Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Sausage pasta pot - does anyone have a recipe anything like this?

(1/1)

catwhiskers:
Back in the 1980s I had a recipe book aimed at children/younger cooks. I can't remember what it was called or who wrote or published it, unfortunately. This book contained a receipe for an extremely tasty sausage pasta pot.

I remember that it had a tin of chopped tomatoes in it, possibly some herbs, and some sort of stock, but I can't remember what kind of stock or how much of it. I also can't remember how much pasta was used or how many sausages. It was a one pot dish with the pasta being cooked in the sauce, so the quantities would need to be reasonably accurate for the sauce to have the right consistency once cooked.

Does anyone have a recipe that sounds similar to this that they would be willing to share? I would be very grateful for any help.

Weez:
I do something that sounds similar, but I'm afraid I kind of make it up as I go along.

This recipe from Good Food magazine would be similar to what I make, but I don't use chilli powder. I also throw in whatever veggies I find in the fridge or freezer (trying to feed 3 young children with as much veggies as possible  ;D).  They also cook the pasta separately, but I find you can cook it in the sauce (just add a bit of boiling water or vegetable stock).

To be honest, it's worth experimenting: my basic recipe is to fry up a diced onion, add some crushed garlic and your favourite type of sausage.  Once the onion is softened and the sausage browned, add a tin of tomatoes.  Bring to the boil, tip in dried pasta and a little bit of boiling water/stock (of your choice).  Leave to simmer until the pasta is ready, adding more water/stock if necessary.

I use whatever onions I've got in the house; fresh garlic or dried garlic powder; smoked sausage, chorizo, salami, regular sausage - whatever you fancy (or whatever's in the fridge  ;D), bacon is pretty good too.  Veggies: I've used chopped peppers, mushrooms, peas, beans, courgettes and probably more.  I also tend to throw in some dried herbs: basil, oregano or again, whatever's in the cupboard.  It's not an elegant recipe, but it's pretty tasty - at least my kids (and husband!) all like it.

Hope that helps!

beakiebean:
http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/italian-wonderpot/

This is a favorite around here-we do it meatless but it certainly wouldn't be hard to brown up the sausage and throw it in with the other stuff.

lady_disdain:

--- Quote from: beakiebean on April 03, 2014, 03:10:54 PM ---http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/italian-wonderpot/

This is a favorite around here-we do it meatless but it certainly wouldn't be hard to brown up the sausage and throw it in with the other stuff.

--- End quote ---

I was going to post that link as well. Budget Bytes is pretty awesome.

catwhiskers:
Thank you for the replies. I shall do some experimenting with both of these and see what comes out closest to the original.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version