News:

• February 19, 2018, 09:52:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 10 worst co-workers of all time  (Read 12765 times)

lilfox

Re: The 10 worst co-workers of all time
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 03:06:51 PM »
What about the coworker who complains about everyone, claims there is a bias against women, therefore she can never get funding to work on her own (great!) ideas, which wouldn't matter because her supervisor steals all her ideas anyway.

One of the managers finally called her on it, gave her a project all her own and a new supervisor to report to, and she quit several months later having done nothing.

Mopsy428

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 09:20:30 PM »
The Lunch Stealer is so egregious it actually sounds like a fake entry. Rummaging through a co-worker's desk without permission is already beyond the pale, but stealing someone's lunch???

As many, many threads here have shown, this is all too common.
I've seen "stolen from the office fridge" often, but never "stolen from my closed, desk drawer" except in the rarest of occasions where someone was stuck working really late and had few options, "borrowed" a pouch of instant soup or something. I've never heard of a boss who would wait until the employee had left his/her workstation to deliberately steal their lunch.
My fiance's co-worker did this once. He told her in no uncertain terms that if she did it again, he would have her arrested and charged with theft. The saddest part? We're "an agency in charge of administering justice".  :o

veronaz

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 09:34:22 PM »
The Lunch Stealer is so egregious it actually sounds like a fake entry. Rummaging through a co-worker's desk without permission is already beyond the pale, but stealing someone's lunch???

As many, many threads here have shown, this is all too common.
I've seen "stolen from the office fridge" often, but never "stolen from my closed, desk drawer" except in the rarest of occasions where someone was stuck working really late and had few options, "borrowed" a pouch of instant soup or something. I've never heard of a boss who would wait until the employee had left his/her workstation to deliberately steal their lunch.

As other member said, this is very common.  ABC news/ - 20/20 had a report on it a few months ago.

Raintree

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 01:41:56 AM »
They forgot the colleague who is your equal but thinks she is your supervisor.

MissRose

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Its one thing to inadvertently take food from the fridge, its another to blatantly do so.  What gets me is the people who do it make a lot more money and can afford to bring something good or go out to eat daily.  I do not condone spiking food to catch thieves.  Some people have done to do things like bake supplements into food for health reasons or already prefer spicy items anyways as examples then thieves complain when they say this is too hot for me when they steal someone's leftovers.

MrTango

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 11:19:12 AM »

I'm actually struggling with this a bit.  My manager has started having the people who quality-check our work train me on the QC processes so that I can be a back-up on the occasions that one or both of them are out of the office.

I'm still just a processor, but I've been performing QC tasks for the past couple weeks.  I feel really awkward having to approach my peers (most of them have been in this position longer than I have) to point out errors that need to be corrected.

DanaJ

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 02:31:53 PM »
An odd spin on that: we had an employee, Donna, here who totally hated her co-worker, Carol, for that very reason. Carol told her how to do things and kind of bossing her around.

It turns out that Carol had been told by the bosses: "You will be Donna's ad-hoc supervisor for the next six months to enure proper training." No one ever bothered to tell Donna about this arrangement, so for all she knew Carol was just a busybody, and Carol had never actually been trained as a supervisor or mentor.

SeptGurl

• Formerly Coley
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 08:04:10 PM »

I'm actually struggling with this a bit.  My manager has started having the people who quality-check our work train me on the QC processes so that I can be a back-up on the occasions that one or both of them are out of the office.

I'm still just a processor, but I've been performing QC tasks for the past couple weeks.  I feel really awkward having to approach my peers (most of them have been in this position longer than I have) to point out errors that need to be corrected.

That's a really awkward position to be in. I had a boss once who made me "supervise" two of my coworkers. We all had the same job title. The boss claimed she didn't have time to manage their work, so she assigned me to do it. Imagine the horror when my boss decided she didn't like the performance of one of my coworkers and she expected me to handle the disciplinary action for her. That obliterated my relationship with that coworker.

Klein Bottle

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 08:03:59 AM »

That's a really awkward position to be in. I had a boss once who made me "supervise" two of my coworkers. We all had the same job title. The boss claimed she didn't have time to manage their work, so she assigned me to do it. Imagine the horror when my boss decided she didn't like the performance of one of my coworkers and she expected me to handle the disciplinary action for her. That obliterated my relationship with that coworker.

Oh, that's awful!  What a position to put someone in!  I had a similar boss.  He had evidently oversold himself when he was hired as facility manager.  He hired me about six months into his tenure, and when Alyssa, our admin asst. went on maternity leave, he hired a crazy woman to fill in for Alyssa, but with the idea that we needed the extra help, so if it worked out, she'd be hired on permanently. 

Things began going downhill.  He was in over his head, and among his many other problems, this new crazy woman was not getting her work done, was acting out in the office, and bringing her myriad personal problems to work.

He called me after work one day and asked me if I would do him the favor of firing her!  Um, she reported to him, not to me, he had hired her and overseen her training, I had little to nothing to do with her or her work.  It wound up being a moot point, because she did something so egregious the VP of ops came in to fire her personally, and my boss was let go shortly thereafter.  That was one crazy summer, let me tell you.  I transferred to a facility a thousand miles away very quickly.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Dr. F.

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 05:23:23 PM »

Oh, that's awful!  What a position to put someone in!  I had a similar boss.  He had evidently oversold himself when he was hired as facility manager.  He hired me about six months into his tenure, and when Alyssa, our admin asst. went on maternity leave, he hired a crazy woman to fill in for Alyssa, but with the idea that we needed the extra help, so if it worked out, she'd be hired on permanently. 

Things began going downhill.  He was in over his head, and among his many other problems, this new crazy woman was not getting her work done, was acting out in the office, and bringing her myriad personal problems to work.

He called me after work one day and asked me if I would do him the favor of firing her!  Um, she reported to him, not to me, he had hired her and overseen her training, I had little to nothing to do with her or her work.  It wound up being a moot point, because she did something so egregious the VP of ops came in to fire her personally, and my boss was let go shortly thereafter.  That was one crazy summer, let me tell you.  I transferred to a facility a thousand miles away very quickly.

A total tangent, but my poor sister was put into that position in 8th grade. I had graduated from HS, and was in my first year of college. That was my sister's first year at the exclusive private school I had gone to. Well, apparently the faculty decided that they couldn't control the 8th grade students, and appointed "student trustees," who were responsible for the behavior of the other students. My poor sister got appointed to such a position - the new girl, from an "outsider" family - the experience totally turned her off of school. She lasted at that school for 2 more years, and then left. The *administration* spread the rumor that she dropped out because she was pregnant (she wasn't). She finally graduated HS from the local public HS, and tried 3 or 4 colleges, but never graduated. She's now a very highly-paid marketing executive, which just goes to show that living well is the best revenge. >:D

The school keeps begging for $$$ from both of us, despite our declasse origins. Neither of us, nor our parents, have ever donated.

Having colleagues oversee one another never works. Assigning responsibility without authority never works. Why do people keep doing it?!?!?

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2014, 06:03:27 PM »
I have a coworker who has only worked here for about a year (most everyone has been here at least 8 years...we were in a freeze for a bit.) Anyway--he signs all his correspondence "Bob Smith, Senior XXX." He's not a Senior XXX. It's not on any of the orb charts, and he's not invited to any of the senior meetings. It's incredibly frustrating to the rest of us who have been there way longer and are not seniors--but it seems petty to complain about it, especially when we don't have the same managers.

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »

At my job, made 1,000 times worse as I am older and there was another Admin who just started at the company who was all of 19 and thought she was my boss. And believe me when I tell you, she wasn't. I didn't even report to her organization but because she supported a VP and was chummy with the President's admin, believed she was in charge of everyone else. That was truly the pits.
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

heartmug

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 04:36:11 PM »
I have that same co-worker who contributes nothing, not even a bag of chips, to company potlucks but loves to load up his plate.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

wordgirl

• Just bead it
  • Pinterest is the new crack
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2014, 05:29:14 PM »

I had the opposite situation. Our immediate boss left the company abruptly, leaving a department of two. Management made it clear that they expected my co-worker, who until then was my equal (with less seniority) to "supervise" me.  :o He pretty much refused to do so - in fact, he pushed all the decisions he was supposed to be making off on me, adding considerably to my workload. The kicker? He got a very significant bonus, apparently for handling things so well in the "crisis." (The kicker Part 2: As soon as they brought in a new boss, coworker quit.)

Yeah, that one still smarts.  >:(

DanaJ

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »
I have a coworker who has only worked here for about a year (most everyone has been here at least 8 years...we were in a freeze for a bit.) Anyway--he signs all his correspondence "Bob Smith, Senior XXX." He's not a Senior XXX. It's not on any of the orb charts, and he's not invited to any of the senior meetings. It's incredibly frustrating to the rest of us who have been there way longer and are not seniors--but it seems petty to complain about it, especially when we don't have the same managers.
I would be tempted to send a naive email up the the true senior managers, just to innocently inquire about the reproting structure because Bob's email signature confuses the XXX team. "Do we report to your regular manager or to Bob, the 'Senior XXX'...?"