Author Topic: Response to question about age?  (Read 5679 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: Response to question about age?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2014, 12:43:52 PM »
My grandmother makes up ridiculous answers like, "28!  Don't I look young for my age?".  It usually gets people laughing.

My mom likes to haul me over, give me a hug and say, "Old enough to have a beautiful daughter like her!" (she's even done this with a friend of mine, who looks very much like us!)  OP might be able to adapt this to something like, "old enough to have a 13 year old son!".

I personally like saying things like "I have no idea.  Last time I told someone my age I was off by two years.  I'd have to go figure it out".  It's actually kind of true - I'm very bad at remembering how old I actually am and I have told people the wrong age a couple of times.  I also say "Old enough to drink" or "Probably older than you think" if I don't mind telling someone. 

Someone guessed my age last week at work, and was off by 5 years.  They thought I was at the most 28, when I'll be 33 this year.  I told her my actual age, and her jaw dropped.  She said, "but you look so much younger!".  My response was, "Oh, well you didn't tell me you were guessing maturity instead of age!  I'm like 12 or 13 by that standard!". 

workingmum

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2014, 10:02:11 AM »
I haven't been asked this very many times, but when I have been, my response has been a very innocent-sounding, "Well, I was just 29 in March.  Of 2005."

That seems to work because it gives them a general idea and they can do the math if they want to.  But I don't have to give a number.

Overall, though, I think that saying "old enough" or some such answer is good.

I have also said, "I stopped counting at 29." :)  I like: "Yesterday I felt 15, today it's a lot closer to 90."  :)

Those are good answers too! I suppose there is also always the old "I'm old enough to know better but too young to care".

This is exactly what I say! DD is 10 but I often get told I look barely 25 (I'm 38). It shuts them up every time  ;)
"I sold my soul for freedom - it's lonely but it's sweet" -Melissa Etheridge

Margo

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2014, 10:23:44 AM »
The classic response which I have heard is "as old as my tongue and a little older than my teeth" I also think that 'old enough' or 'a lady never tells' are also all fine.

It's fine to brush of questions such as this, and anyone who persists with the question having been given a brush off is being rude.

depending on how pushy the asker is then a chilly "excuse me?" or "how is that relevant?" would also be absolutely fine.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 11:50:39 AM »
I agree with others. I don't find "Old enough" or "Old enough to have a 13 year old" rude at all if said with a smile and jokey tone of voice. It will make the asker realize what a personal question they've just blurted out.

If someone persists then the "Why do you ask" is a perfect response.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 06:53:51 AM »
It is terribly rude of them. This used to happen to my cousin as well.

Your answer "old enough!" with a laugh and a smile is actually a good one.
It lets them know you aren't interested in this line of conversation but doesn't make a big deal out of the issue.

I agree!

It's a rude question, frankly. This is a cute and friendly way to tell them that you aren't going to answer it.

When people ask rude questions, it's not your responsibility to (1) answer them; or (2) make them feel good about having asked the rude question.

Stick with this response. And use your expression and your tone to indicate whether you're being friendly or distant.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2014, 08:34:49 AM »
Reminds me of a few times when I've been to the Dollar General with all 3 of my boys.  Last summer there was one cashier who seemed to think the only child that was mine was the youngest and I dunno, I was watching the older 2 for someone else? Or they were step kids? Nephews? Who knows?

But once I said the two preteens were mine she kept blinking at me and saying "You don't look old enough to be a mother to a 12 year old!" I wondered if she expected me to say "Just kidding! He's my friend's kid!" or something, or confess to having them young or something. 

I got so sick of it that I did tell her my age (34) and frankly don't care if she believed me or not.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

DanaJ

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2014, 09:50:44 AM »
"Mom age, why do you ask?"
Oo! That's a good one!

earthgirl

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2014, 08:38:11 AM »
Up until I hit thirty I was frequently mistaken for younger.  Much, much, younger.  I worked in a middle school, first as a teacher and then as a counselor for much of my 20s, and was frequently mistaken for a student.  Forget about getting carded for alcohol, I got carded for R-rated movies.

I got asked "How old are you?"  a whole lot, and "Old enough!"  became my stock answer.  I'd say it with a big smile on my face and I don't think I ever once got a response that indicated that anyone thought it was rude of me to respond that way.

Alas, it seemed the minute I turned 30, people stopped thinking I was 13 and started calling me "Ma'am."

gellchom

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2014, 11:42:24 PM »
When people ask me my age, I add 18. 

They will remember me for the rest of their lives as the most beautiful woman they've ever met.

I currently admit to 74.   You do the math.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2014, 12:08:15 AM »
"Old enough to know better, but young enough to just do it."

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
You are not required to answer personal questions on command. Your answer of "Old enough" is find, and not at all rude. I would rather you say something like "A lady never discusses her age." That might get through to the lunkheads that the question is inappropriate.

Ladies go by different standards in different areas though.  That would work in the South, but probably not Sio's part of the US.

What makes you say that?

OP, I think if you say "old enough" while smiling/laughing/waggling your eyebrows/any positive response, the person will get the point you don't want to answer but won't be offended that you shut them down.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2014, 04:22:55 PM »
When people ask me my age, I add 18. 

They will remember me for the rest of their lives as the most beautiful woman they've ever met.

I currently admit to 74.   You do the math.

Love it. :)

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2014, 04:48:17 PM »
You are not required to answer personal questions on command. Your answer of "Old enough" is find, and not at all rude. I would rather you say something like "A lady never discusses her age." That might get through to the lunkheads that the question is inappropriate.

Ladies go by different standards in different areas though.  That would work in the South, but probably not Sio's part of the US.

What makes you say that?

OP, I think if you say "old enough" while smiling/laughing/waggling your eyebrows/any positive response, the person will get the point you don't want to answer but won't be offended that you shut them down.

It's more of a Midwest/South response than a West Coast to me.  My friends out there rarely use the term lady, it's normally girls/women.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2014, 04:57:12 PM »

What makes you say that?

It's more of a Midwest/South response than a West Coast to me.  My friends out there rarely use the term lady, it's normally girls/women.

I'm from Pennsylvania...it is certainly something I or my relatives would say.  Lady is linked to the phrase, not really how someone refers to herself.  I almost never refer to myself as a lady, but I will still say, "Ladies' room" or "A lady never reveals her age" because that's the phrase.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Hillia

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »
"Southern lady" is a specific phrase used to denote certain attitudes, behaviors, speech patterns.  It's generally done either very graciously (Miss Ellie on Dallas) or in a sort of coy, flirtatious way (Scarlett O'Hara before the war).  'Ladies' are delicate, maintain an image of untouchable elegance and beauty, and certainly don't refer to any hard facts of life like age or weight.  It's also a way of indicating that the question is not welcome - if you push for an answer, you're implying that she's not a lady, and that's just not done.

I have the opposite problem.  DH and I are 20 years apart, and we are often mistaken for mother/son.  It's getting less and less frequently now, as his baby face ages, but for the first few years it was pretty common.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools