Author Topic: Response to question about age?  (Read 5972 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Response to question about age?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 09:29:34 PM »
"Old enough" is a perfectly accurate answer to a question that shouldn't have been asked.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 09:31:55 PM »
I think "old enough!" is fine, "A lady never tells." is fine, "Why do you ask?" is fine, and telling them your actual age is fine if you're comfortable.

I have a friend who had her first baby at 15 and she's very open about that, she's not ashamed. People do the mental math and then realize "Wow, she's really got herself together!" because she is an amazing mom (and person in general) and has been since day 1. It makes them stop and think about the stereotypes their mind started to jump to before they realized she deserved to be thought of for who she is and not "a girl who had a baby at 15".

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 01:11:26 AM »
Your answer is fine as you would have to be old enough to not be getting carded regularly. 

Peppergirl

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 04:53:18 AM »
'Old enough' is perfect. 

I'm 45 and my son is 27.  I look my age or perhaps a tad bit younger, and with his beard, he looks a bit older.  We have gotten the sibling remarks ( we do look quite a bit alike) and even people who've thought we were a couple (blech).

Therefore, I think your response is perfect enough that I'm going to steal it and use it myself! ;)

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 08:55:53 AM »
What is it Dr. Kelso said to Elliot on Scrubs? "You did four years of college and four years of med school, it's safe to assume you're at least eight."

In your case "Well I'm older than 13, I assure you."

As a young-looking healthcare provider, I use something similar.  "We'll, I graduated, so over 21!"
Not such a newbie anymore

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 09:55:32 AM »
People would actually argue with my mother about how we couldn't possibly mother and daughter and had to be sisters (well that was one whopper of a lie her and grandma were telling!). One lady wouldn't let up and I, being a mouthy teenager at the time, said "Do you want to see her give me a lecture? Will that prove we aren't sisters?" she called me rude and left. It worked, though it was probably rude, my tone was not nice.

I did hear my mom give a great response once when someone said "You don't look old enough, how old are you?" and she said "Oh my, depends on the day. Yesterday I felt 15, today it's a lot closer to 90" and walked away with a big smile on her face. I think she said she heard it on TV or a movie something like that. Works pretty well.

Maybe Ella Enchanted?  It's not in the movie version, but in the book, she has this little letter writing thing going back and forth with the prince.  He's always asking her if she's old enough to be married yet, in each letter he writes to her.  She has the cutest answers, because she doesn't feel like she can just say, "Yes!"  She says things like, "Today I think I'm too young.  I was dwarfed by an acquaintance's 11-year-old daughter!" and "Today I feel too old.  I've been working so hard preparing for the ball, I feel as if I'd aged 60 years in a day."  I'm horribly misquoting, it's much funnier in the original, but that's the idea and it *could* be what your mom is thinking of.  (Fantastic book, by the way.  Don't watch the movie, but I highly recommend the book.)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 10:23:20 AM »
You are not required to answer personal questions on command. Your answer of "Old enough" is find, and not at all rude. I would rather you say something like "A lady never discusses her age." That might get through to the lunkheads that the question is inappropriate.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »
"Wow, 13.  How old are you?"
"I know, right?  How did he get so tall and handsome?"

That "answers" the question without answering ;).  And yes, asking someone's age is rude (but I'm sure an exception will pop up)
I like this, sort of letting the question drift off into the air, unanswered.   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »
I don't think you were rude at all.

I think it's rude for someone to ask you your age.

I had DS when i was 26, so not particularly young, but apparently i look very very young and people don't believe that i'm 53. so when i say i have a 27 YO son, i get the raised eyebrows. so i usually will say - "i know, i look younger than I am" and move on.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »
You are not required to answer personal questions on command. Your answer of "Old enough" is find, and not at all rude. I would rather you say something like "A lady never discusses her age." That might get through to the lunkheads that the question is inappropriate.

Ladies go by different standards in different areas though.  That would work in the South, but probably not Sio's part of the US.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 06:07:57 PM »
I haven't been asked this very many times, but when I have been, my response has been a very innocent-sounding, "Well, I was just 29 in March.  Of 2005."

That seems to work because it gives them a general idea and they can do the math if they want to.  But I don't have to give a number.

Overall, though, I think that saying "old enough" or some such answer is good.

m2kbug

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 08:13:59 PM »
I haven't been asked this very many times, but when I have been, my response has been a very innocent-sounding, "Well, I was just 29 in March.  Of 2005."

That seems to work because it gives them a general idea and they can do the math if they want to.  But I don't have to give a number.

I have also said, "I stopped counting at 29." :)  I like: "Yesterday I felt 15, today it's a lot closer to 90."  :)

whatsanenigma

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 08:20:37 PM »

I have also said, "I stopped counting at 29." :)  I like: "Yesterday I felt 15, today it's a lot closer to 90."  :)

Those are good answers too! I suppose there is also always the old "I'm old enough to know better but too young to care".

SiotehCat

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 09:06:26 PM »
Thank you for all of the very good responses!

I always thought my "old enough" answer was bordering on rude because it could be snarky(?).

A few years ago, my company hired someone for my department. When a coworker and I first met this new employee, my coworker pointed out how young this person looked and asked her age. New employee responded with "old enough" and that was the first time I had heard it. At the time, I thought it was a snarky answer, but I changed my opinion later on.

I haven't been able to pin point why the convenience store cashier situation bothered me as much as it did. I am not ashamed of being a young mother, but I acted as if I were. I wanted to drive back and give him my real age, but I would just look crazy.

I haven't been back to the convenience store yet. I had been going every day before the gym for a very large water, but I haven't wanted to go back. Maybe I'll go back in the next few days just to make myself feel better.

Thanks for the great advice, everyone!

dawbs

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 11:21:33 PM »

Ladies go by different standards in different areas though.  That would work in the South, but probably not Sio's part of the US.

I find those answers also work better if they're from an authority.
*with charming smile*  "oh, my grandma taught me that a lady never answers that.  *then change subject* They do grow up so fast though, don't they?"

(although, truth be told, if I gave grandma's answer, I'd say "as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth")