Author Topic: Computer experts, I need help!  (Read 367 times)

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
Computer experts, I need help!
« on: July 19, 2014, 12:34:50 AM »
There is a particular program I use for my work that has to be just so or it won't allow me to access the VPN in which I do my work.  The problem is, my antivirus has been updating faster than the VPN program is, and as a result I can't get into the VPN to do my work.  I call to the VPN help desk got me nowhere; I was essentially told that I'd have to wait until the antivirus listing was updated in their computer, which might be two weeks from now (although knowing this bunch that's extremely optimistic).  I can't wait that long, as next week promises to be very busy and my co-workers really need my help.  Plus, when I'm not working I'm not being paid.

Any suggestions at all?  I've tried looking for older versions of the antivirus/firewall program I had on my computer (McAfee, which I put on the last time this happened) but the only version I was able to find isn't compatible with Windows 7, which is on my computer.  I asked McAfee if I could be reset to an earlier version; no. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Computer experts, I need help!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:38:16 AM »
3 quick thoughts...

1) turn off auto-update

2) Is this a problem of the virus definitions clashing, or the program itself?

3) Try a different anti-virus program, there are many out there.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 12:40:54 AM »
How can I turn off auto-update?  As for trying a different antivirus program, I did.  I tried Zone Alarm, and that didn't help at all.  I am currently running oft Avast!, and so far that isn't working, either. 

EMuir

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 12:50:01 AM »
Turn off your antivirus for only as long as you need to work. Do not open personal email or non-work sites while it's off.

Reika

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 01:08:59 AM »
You should be able to list the program in exceptions for McAfee. Since I don't run that one, I'm not sure where they have that.