Author Topic: What to Wear for Formal Nights?  (Read 1335 times)

Specky

Re: What to Wear for Formal Nights?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 10:24:06 AM »
Never been on a cruise.  Is dressing formally required or are there areas where you could still go/eat and be dressed casually?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 11:00:58 AM »
Never been on a cruise.  Is dressing formally required or are there areas where you could still go/eat and be dressed casually?

Yes to both, sort of. There are "formal" nights on every cruise, either one, two or more, depending on the length. While formal attire is encouraged, evening gowns, tuxes, etc are not required, and I've seen those, down to just sort of dressy attire. That's just in the main dining room, and perhaps the speciality restaurants. The rest of the time, you can simply dress "nicely"

And if you don't choose to partake, there are definitely other options for dinner on the formal nights. I myself enjoy getting dressed up each night, a bit more for the formal nights, and going to dinner. I don't really do that at home. But others do not.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »
I would also suggest a wrap of some sort.  AC on ships can be absolutely glacial at times.  This is especially true on formal nights when men are expected to wear a jacket and tie in the dining room. 

If all else fails, you can almost always buy a faux-pashima in just about any color for 10usd.  the 10 dollar boutique also usually has a nice selection of evening bags.  These look like they would cost a lot more than they do. I even found one that was an almost perfect match for my formal shoes.   

We've had dozens of cruises and have seen only one person turned away from the dining room on a formal night. He was wearing shorts and flip-flops.

There are always 'alternative' or 'casual' venues where people who don't want to dress can enjoy a meal.  These places are usually set up with white table cloths and waiter service so, if you don't want to dress up, you don't have to feel like you're eating in a school cafeteria.  Ships want to keep the pax happy. 

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »
The level of formality also depends on which cruise line you're taking.  You tend to see a lot more tuxes and gowns on Celebrity than you do on, for example, Carnival.

My fallback outfit for formal nights is a black velvet cocktail dress with a sparkly wrap and jewelry.  I'd be more likely to do a gown if Mr_Deb would do a tux.

Me, I love dressing up.  But one can always go to the buffet, too, if shorts and flip-flops are more to your liking.  My SIL & BIL (the Laura family) went on a cruise and my BIL took no long pants at all and no lives were lost :-).

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 11:56:49 AM »
I would also suggest a wrap of some sort.  AC on ships can be absolutely glacial at times.  This is especially true on formal nights when men are expected to wear a jacket and tie in the dining room. 

If all else fails, you can almost always buy a faux-pashima in just about any color for 10usd.  the 10 dollar boutique also usually has a nice selection of evening bags.  These look like they would cost a lot more than they do. I even found one that was an almost perfect match for my formal shoes.   

We've had dozens of cruises and have seen only one person turned away from the dining room on a formal night. He was wearing shorts and flip-flops.

There are always 'alternative' or 'casual' venues where people who don't want to dress can enjoy a meal.  These places are usually set up with white table cloths and waiter service so, if you don't want to dress up, you don't have to feel like you're eating in a school cafeteria.  Ships want to keep the pax happy.

Yup. got that covered, although I am always hot, even in arctic a/c. I am very excited, esp since the dress looks really nice on me! Amazing what losing some weight can do for your psyche!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »

Our last cruise. I found that if I hang up my dresses and clothes that might wrinkle after we get in our cabin, we have little trouble. DH and DS like to send their suits out for a press, which is very inexpensive and done on the same day.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 01:31:56 PM »

Our last cruise. I found that if I hang up my dresses and clothes that might wrinkle after we get in our cabin, we have little trouble. DH and DS like to send their suits out for a press, which is very inexpensive and done on the same day.

Great photo! I planned on only bringing a few pairs of shorts/capris, and sending them out to be washed midway through. Yes, it will cost some $$, but then I don't have to pack as much. I am soooo looking forward to this cruise! 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 03:06:58 PM »
^Feel free to PM me. Make sure you bring one pair of long and comfortable pants in case you get chilled. That and a comfortable jacket will work with the rest.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 09:54:37 PM »
This is a fortuitous thread - I'm heading off on my first cruise just 3 weeks from now.  It's a river cruise (Budapest to Amsterdam on the Danube) and probably not as fancy as other cruises, but it's nice to have an idea on what to wear.

The cruise briefing suggested 'smart casual' for most nights, no shorts/flip flops or singlets.

I'm hoping they have at least one formal night because I bought a couple of dresses - I'm usually a t-shirt and jeans gal. 

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 08:14:23 AM »
This is a fortuitous thread - I'm heading off on my first cruise just 3 weeks from now.  It's a river cruise (Budapest to Amsterdam on the Danube) and probably not as fancy as other cruises, but it's nice to have an idea on what to wear.

The cruise briefing suggested 'smart casual' for most nights, no shorts/flip flops or singlets.

I'm hoping they have at least one formal night because I bought a couple of dresses - I'm usually a t-shirt and jeans gal.

That sounds like a wonderful trip! I plan on wearing slightly less dressy dresses for the other nights. I enjoy dressing up!

mw8242

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 06:02:55 PM »
I have the second dress in purple - the exact dress. I have worn it to may weddings and my friends have also borrowed it to wear to weddings. It has some give to it so it works on my short curvy body and their more tall curvy body. This dress is amazing and you will get a ton of use of it in the future, it can dress up or down based on just shoes & jewelry.

I bought it a few years ago and hadn't realized it came in other colors - I will now purchase another one b/c I love it that much.

Have a great time on your trip!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »
I have the second dress in purple - the exact dress. I have worn it to may weddings and my friends have also borrowed it to wear to weddings. It has some give to it so it works on my short curvy body and their more tall curvy body. This dress is amazing and you will get a ton of use of it in the future, it can dress up or down based on just shoes & jewelry.

I bought it a few years ago and hadn't realized it came in other colors - I will now purchase another one b/c I love it that much.

Have a great time on your trip!

My CW bought the purple one for her nieces wedding! On sale now at Macys...I love how it fits me. I'm average height and fluffy curvy.

rigs32

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 03:10:44 AM »
I used to love formal nights on cruises..... and then we had to start paying per checked bag on flights.  Suddenly multiple dresses, heels, and a full suit for SO were much more of a burden.

metallicafan

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 03:22:42 AM »
I think that if you wear sparkly shoes and jewelry,  plus a pretty clutch, it will be perfect !

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 10:04:10 AM »
I used to love formal nights on cruises..... and then we had to start paying per checked bag on flights.  Suddenly multiple dresses, heels, and a full suit for SO were much more of a burden.

I hear you! I had hoped to only bring one pair of dressy shoes, but am now up to 2. THankfully, we're leaving out of Bayonne, and I live in NJ, so no flights involved. My last cruise, i brought one pair of dressy shoes, and wore the same dressy black pants each night, along with other stuff. I matched my entire ensemble for the week to that one pair of shoes.