Author Topic: S/O of Unsolved RL Crimes - What solved crime will always give you the chills?  (Read 26981 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
I think PJ O'Rourke said it best (I may be paraphrasing a bit)... but "Evil doesn't come from <insert list of various insensitive slang terms for various races/ethnic backgrounds/religions>. It comes from the heart."
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

The Wild One, Forever

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/06/29/us/man-killed-son-to-spite-wife-prosecutors-say.html

My memory of details is very vague, but I remember reading about a man who was angry at his wife.  So he convinced her to get pregnant, then waited til the baby was about 6 months old and killed it. That's bad enough, but he told investigators he waited til the baby was 6 months old so his wife would have time to bond and the death would hurt her more.

I too vaguely recall a similar story. I lived in Chicago then. I think the murder happened at least 10 years ago and probably more, and for some reason I think they lived in Indiana, not sure where, but the story was so disturbing I'm surprised Court TV, which was still Court TV, didn't glom onto it. I only heard about it on the local news and in the paper, and then nothing.

But I soon forgot about it as there was no further publicity. I figured the guy pled out to avoid the death penalty and went off to spend his life in the big house. His account of the premeditation and plotting to kill a child for revenge on his wife was beyond chilling. I believe his revenge was based on her cheating on him prior to their wedding. Because something like that justifies what this low life did, right?

I found this link for a similar story - he was mad that his GF didn't cut short her cruise when his farher died, so he married her, got her pregnant, waited, and killed the kid. So she would suffer the way he did when his dad died.

The death was initially ruled SIDS - had he not confessed, he might have gotten away with it!

Sorry - link is at the top of the post. My tablet is being annoying at me.

That one has haunted me for years, and I could not remember any of the names or details to find out what had eventually happened.  Glad someone else remembered this case. 

My own son was a little toddler when this was reported, and the very center of my universe.  It is still difficult for me to comprehend the evil and coldness in that man's heart to plan and carry out this twisted plot over a span of years.   He had so many chances to change his mind, so many things could have gone one way or another to have prevented this.  I wonder how that poor mom is doing.  That man took away her whole world.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
Folks, let's just leave it said that both blacks and whites have a record of accusing the others unjustly.  Because I think that if it goes any further, this thread may get locked.

I always wondered if that is because when you describe someone you tend to describe people you know. But then you change the race and voila - you no longer accidentally accused your own brother of a crime you committed.

Cherry91

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/family/theresa_cross/index.html
This woman has no right to the title "Mother"
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/famous/loeb/index_1.html
Thank God one of them was dumb enough to drop his glasses!
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/famous/moxley/index_1.html
It's disgraceful how long her family had to wait for an arrest.

...Why did I only just discover this database?!

Goodbye productivity. Eh, it's almost the end of the week anyway...

Mikayla

Heh...that's how I feel about ID Channel.  I didn't even know it existed and now I've got my roomie addicted to it, too. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
There was a case in SE Michigan about 15 years ago.  A teenage boy was found tied to a tree.  His story was that he and his girlfriend were in the park when they were accosted by a stranger with a gun.  The stranger tied the teenager up, and abducted the girl.  She was never found.

The teenager wasn't quite 18 years old, so the media did not release his name, but it was obvious that the police considered the teenager responsible, even though they lacked enough evidence to arrest him.

They thought he tied himself to a tree?

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
There was a case in SE Michigan about 15 years ago.  A teenage boy was found tied to a tree.  His story was that he and his girlfriend were in the park when they were accosted by a stranger with a gun.  The stranger tied the teenager up, and abducted the girl.  She was never found.

The teenager wasn't quite 18 years old, so the media did not release his name, but it was obvious that the police considered the teenager responsible, even though they lacked enough evidence to arrest him.

They thought he tied himself to a tree?

Yes, they did. 

There was another case in Michigan about 15 years ago.  Woman had been abducted from a Bar/Restaurant about a mile from where I live.  She was raped and dumped back at the parking lot where she had been abducted from the next morning.

The next day, there is an update: the alleged rapist contacted the police.  "I didn't rape her!  It was a pickup from the bar, and I drove her back to her car.  She even made me breakfast, and I have her fingerprints all over my kitchen." 

Then the Bar maintenance guy comes forward.  He had just been coming in to work when the woman was returned to the bar.  The janitor said, "She was hugging and kissing him, and thanking him for a great night."

Come to find out the woman was married and her husband was out of town.  She decided to have a good time, and came home to find her husband there, 4 days early, and she made the story up.

That one didn't give me chills: it made me so angry that I was seeing red.  All the women who have been brutally raped and used who had their charges ignored because "the woman just makes it up," and this idiot did it.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

audhs

Along the lines of made up stories there was Dar Heatherington an city politician from Alberta who made up a bizarre tale of being kidnapped, after having claimed to have been stalked.

The police believe she wrote the stalker letters herself and staged the kidnapping.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Bonnie Sweeten, who faked her kidnapping with her 9 year old daughter and has been convicted of fraud in a related case of stealing from the elderly.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/26/disney-world-hoax-mom-sentenced_n_1234483.html

Asharah

Heh...that's how I feel about ID Channel.  I didn't even know it existed and now I've got my roomie addicted to it, too.
So glad I could be of help!  ;D
Asharah

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
Mother of the Year was having potty training issues with her daughter, so mom's idea of motivation was to kick her daughter in the stomach, beat her with a milk jug, and super-glue her hands to the wall. The daughter suffered bleeding to brain, a fractured rib, and was in a coma for a few days.

During her sentencing Mommy Dearest tried to win sympathy by playing the 'Boo-Hoo, I had a terrible childhood' card. The court was unmoved. She was sentenced to 99 years and must serve at least 30 before she's eligible for parole.

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
In my hometown, a prominent local blogger was brutally murdered by his teenage daughter's boyfriend.  The boyfriend and the daughter had been planning it for months.  Blogger's fiance' was also supposed to be killed that night, but blogger fought back hard enough that she was unharmed. 

The boyfriend pled guilty, the daughter is still undergoing evaluations to see if she's fit to stand trial and whether she will be charged as a juvenile or an adult.  I used to read the guy's blog on a daily basis, and the love he had for his daughter came through when he would talk about her.  The whole thing was so horrifying - especially since I have a friend who works at the school where the daughter and boyfriend went, and she knew them.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
jedikaiti, that's the story I remember. I'm surprised it went to trial, but if the defendant insists, that's their right. I'm not saying that's what happened because I don't know the details but dude, you admitted over and over you killed your kid so what do you expect from a trial?

I got the sense it wasn't only his wife who bonded with the kid... hence his compulsive confessing.

I read an article after seeing the link - he mentioned in his repeated confessions that he couldn't forget his son's face...

Sounds like someone who got so caught up in his plans that he left his own feelings "out of consideration" until he'd followed the steps of his plan.  Then realized that he'd really "cut off his nose to spite his face".  Because now he'd lost his father and his son...and that the "revenge" he'd thought about was not what he really wanted after all...

But it was a little late...

Sounds like an Edgar Allen Poe story.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
jedikaiti, that's the story I remember. I'm surprised it went to trial, but if the defendant insists, that's their right. I'm not saying that's what happened because I don't know the details but dude, you admitted over and over you killed your kid so what do you expect from a trial?

I got the sense it wasn't only his wife who bonded with the kid... hence his compulsive confessing.

I read an article after seeing the link - he mentioned in his repeated confessions that he couldn't forget his son's face...

Sounds like someone who got so caught up in his plans that he left his own feelings "out of consideration" until he'd followed the steps of his plan.  Then realized that he'd really "cut off his nose to spite his face".  Because now he'd lost his father and his son...and that the "revenge" he'd thought about was not what he really wanted after all...

But it was a little late...

Sounds like an Edgar Allen Poe story.

It does, doesn't it?

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Kiara

• My dragons!
Have two:

First one I remembered after this thread and the other one started making me look up "what murders happened in your area."  http://crime.about.com/od/juvenile/a/larryswartz.htm  This happened like 500 feet from my high school.  I remember getting the book (Sudden Fury) out of the library, having no idea what it was about, and the slow dread when I read it and went "I know where that is, and who that is...."  (Interesting side note: he was adopted after getting out of prison as an adult: http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/larry-swartz-murderer-adopted )

Second one is the Beltway sniper case.  I remember living here and how you changed how you did EVERYTHING because you were scared to death you would be next.  No more staying outside the car to get gas.  I wouldn't get out of the car at fast food places, even if the drive through line was long.  And the not knowing where they'd be, so nowhere was really "safe."  I pass the rest stop where they were caught fairly often, and every time I remember how the whole area was scared for months.