Author Topic: S/O of Unsolved RL Crimes - What solved crime will always give you the chills?  (Read 29450 times)

Mikayla

^I can't believe I forgot the Beltway Sniper!   I was in that Home Depot parking lot at 7 Corners a couple hours before he shot that lady.  It was so random - gas stations, parking lots, even a school I believe.  You knew your odds were very small, but when it's so random, that doesn't even help.

Amara

I was living in Los Angeles during the Manson murders. The morning after the first set of murders was horrifying but even that was nothing compared to the next morning after the LaBianca's were found. I think the entire city was paralyzed with fear; I know I was. No one yet knew who or why or when the next attack would come.

Later, I read Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi and that rather ramped up those feelings again. It was the last true crime book I ever read (it was also only about the third one in my life to that point).

Kiara

• My dragons!
^I can't believe I forgot the Beltway Sniper!   I was in that Home Depot parking lot at 7 Corners a couple hours before he shot that lady.  It was so random - gas stations, parking lots, even a school I believe.  You knew your odds were very small, but when it's so random, that doesn't even help.

Exactly.  I live north of the city, but when they were moving from DC, to Virginia, to the suburbs....you didn't feel safe anywhere.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
There are highway shootings currently happening in Kansas City. 20 in one month.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/10/us/kansas-city-shootings/

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
A friend of mine disappeared during our junior year of high school.  A few weeks later her body was found in a shallow grave about a mile from my house.  Her boyfriend (a friend of mine) was arrested and convicted of killing her.  Pretty much the a quarter of the senior class and all members of the volleyball and field hockey team were subpoenaed and required to testify at the trial. 

HoneyBee42

There was one about 45 miles from where I grew up, back during the 80s (even though the guy eventually got off on a retrial).  Man was a traveling saleman, had a wife and three children.  He's out of the state and calls police asking them to check on the family, they do and find that the wife and three children have been hacked to death with an axe.

His alibi was that he wasn't there because he was out of state.  Still, it was kind of a hole-filled alibi and then there was one little tidbit that is what really gave me the chills.  (I got this info from someone I knew who was on the scene).  The victims had all been tucked into bed under electric blankets (supposition being that it was to try to disguise the time of death, that he'd really done it, then left for his business trip, while trying to make it look like they hadn't been dead quite so long (keeping the body temps up). 

I'm not really sure why his original conviction was overturned, but it was, and he got off on the re-trial and then moved to yet another state.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Second one is the Beltway sniper case.  I remember living here and how you changed how you did EVERYTHING because you were scared to death you would be next.  No more staying outside the car to get gas.  I wouldn't get out of the car at fast food places, even if the drive through line was long.  And the not knowing where they'd be, so nowhere was really "safe."  I pass the rest stop where they were caught fairly often, and every time I remember how the whole area was scared for months.

I remember choosing my gas stations based on where a sniper could hide and likely escape routes. My roomie quit driving and just took the metro.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
I was living in Los Angeles during the Manson murders. The morning after the first set of murders was horrifying but even that was nothing compared to the next morning after the LaBianca's were found. I think the entire city was paralyzed with fear; I know I was. No one yet knew who or why or when the next attack would come.

Later, I read Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi and that rather ramped up those feelings again. It was the last true crime book I ever read (it was also only about the third one in my life to that point).

For me, one of the most disturbing things about that book was the description of how the Manson family members used to "creepy-crawl." They'd break into people's houses while they were asleep and crawl around on the floor, sometimes  even rearranging stuff in the house.  :o That, for some reason, made my skin crawl even more than the murders. Not something to think about right before bed...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!

For me, one of the most disturbing things about that book was the description of how the Manson family members used to "creepy-crawl." They'd break into people's houses while they were asleep and crawl around on the floor, sometimes  even rearranging stuff in the house.  :o That, for some reason, made my skin crawl even more than the murders. Not something to think about right before bed...

Very very creepy and scary. even today, when you see pictures of him, he still looks frightening. I can remember in college, driving on the Baltimore Beltway, next a an old, beat up van. And the driver looked JUST like Charles Manson. Right down to the eyes. We thankfully got off shortly after that, but wow, we were scared to death! Even though he was securely tucked away in prison.

Moonie

There are highway shootings currently happening in Kansas City. 20 in one month.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/10/us/kansas-city-shootings/

I live in the Kansas City area, and I'll tell you...this is really scary. I hope they find the person or persons responsible for this soon. Unfortunately, with all the media hype, I'm afraid that there will be copycats.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I'm in Florida and there has not been one mention of it on the news media I see. Only because I look at US news reports on Google News do I know about it.

I hope the perpetrator(s) is caught soon.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
The Green River Murders.  I worked for a couple of years right next door to the Kenworth paintshop where Gary Ridgeway worked. He passed less than 40 feet from my window on a daily basis. 

We are currently taking a course through our local police department (Community Police Academy) and the class 2 weeks ago had one of the officers who worked with Ridgeway after he was arrested during the plea deal process when they were getting all the details about where he dumped the bodies.  She said it was really creepy because he has an IQ in the 80s. (I donít remember the exact number) but when it came to murder, he was brilliant. She also recounted some of the many times he was nearly caught.  One time he was standing on the bank and a boater was floating down the Green River who waved at him and chatted with him for a moment.  Gary had the body of one of his victims in the grass at his feet. The grass was so high that she was hidden from the river. He claims that he stopped killing because he met his wife but the officer said that was kind of interesting since he made a couple of the kills after the two of them were together.

Another time the location where they were holding him in secret was flooded by the river (different river) and they had to be inspected for damage by the fire department. They had to sneak him out of the building and they drove around the area with him. When they called to give them the all clear to come back, they said there was going to be a delay, they were getting the serial killer a cheeseburger. Yep, they went through the drive through with him. :D . One of the other students asked if they ever developed a friendly bond with him or anything like that, nope, he was creepy and would sit for hours staring off into space at nothing.

It was one of the creepiest and yet interesting classes in the program so far.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
What is this program? Sounds fascinating!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
It is a 13 week program that our local police put on. (King County Sheriff here in Washington). Each week we learn about  different aspects of the police department. ie, this week we had the Major Accident Investigation team, one of the School resource officers and a bit about block watch and the crime triangle. We got to meet a bunch of the police K-9s and learned about patrol procedures last week (That was REALLY fun, those dogs are incredible!) Upcoming we have a chance to go to the police gun range (yes, we get to shoot), learn a bit about self defense, go to the new jail and learn about the booking process, see Guardian One (the police helicopter) all sorts of really neat things. Some of them have been a bit disturbing such as when the homicide detectives came in and talked but they warn you ahead of time if it is going to be graphic.

We are lucky in that the police academy is just down the road so we are able to use some of their classrooms/ranges for some of the classes and after we graduate we can go on a ride along with one of the officers in our area if we want. 

Redneck Gravy

There was a 2 year old girl murdered here when I was about 7 years old.  It was the next door neighbor, a policeman, that raped & killed her.

I have never completely recovered from that trauma.