Author Topic: S/O of Unsolved RL Crimes - What solved crime will always give you the chills?  (Read 29410 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jennifer_Daugherty

This girl believed these monsters to be her friends.

I saw ID's show on this case a few months ago- I leave the TV on while I'm working out at home. I had to turn it off and sit down for a few minutes till I stopped feeling sick.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

CharlieBraun

A friend of mine - a college professor.  Her husband, from whom she was separating, murdered her.  Their daughter was in the house at the time.  The family of the murder victim agreed to allow a plea to second-degree, because to gain a conviction on first-degree would have required the daughter to testify.

The average actual time served in their state for second-degree murder, which at face is 15 years to life, is usually about 7 years.  Each time he is up for parole, a rotating group of family and friends fly to his hearing to present statements.
"We ate the pies."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Ted Bundy. I read The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule (who knew and worked with Bundy) and it's a hard case to get out of my head. I was particularly haunted by the the very short opportunity he had to nab a lot of his victims. One girl never walked around her campus after dark; the one day she took a chance, he kidnapped her. One woman went upstairs to grab a magazine, leaving her fiance and his children for a brief moment; he kidnapped her. All of the crimes were horrid, but the one that stands out to me the most is him abducting two women from the same place hours apart (a crowded beach). Most of the women kindly offered him assistance, as he was using a cast as a ruse.  :( It's easy for this case to still haunt, considering that the bodies of many of his victims have never been found, leaving their families to suffer. I suspect that he killed many more women than we actual know about.

Big pod to this.  I remember 3 things most about this book.

1.  Ann Rule knew him personally and even worked a victim's hotline with him.  Alone.  At night. 

2.  One of the few who escaped was a younger girl who was the daughter of a cop.  She said something in his eyes told her to get away at any cost.

3.  That photo from the trial where his "mask" fell way.  If you've read the book, you know the one I'm talking about!  The urbane guy disappeared, a monster suddenly popped up and it was captured on film.

Yes to all of the above. And for me too, the fact that we may never really know just how many women he killed, and the fact that the ones they did find and identify were found in such remote locations, and by accident. He truly was a sick and twisted individual.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!

I believe Mikayla means the second photo down in this link:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2013565/Ted-Bundy-Police-serial-killer-suspect-California-murder-spree.html (sorry it's DailyMail,I'm having some trouble on my work computer) The one where he's holding his hand over his head and making a monstrous face.

@GreenEyedHawk and Jedikaiti - Yep, it's #3 in that montage!

If you ever see the paperback in a store, the photos are in the middle.  You see all these dapper shots of a guy you'd want to camp with under the stars (eek!) and then this shot just pops up.   I'm almost positive it was taken in a courtroom.

I highly recommend it as a read.  One of the most fascinating aspects is the very savvy Ann Rule trying to grapple with the likability of the Bundy she knew vs the beginnings of her fears that he might be this serial killer everyone is talking about.  You can't make this stuff up.
Yes, it was taken during his trial and I also find it very scary to look at. A lot of the photographs give me chills. Two that strike me a lot are of survivors' testimony. The girl who walked into the Chi Omega house and spotted Bundy leaving is photographed talking about her experience, as is Carol DaRoch, who managed to flee from Bundy's car. Also chilling is the number of letters Ann has received over the years from women convinced they encountered Bundy. Ann believes some of the women are mistaken, but others are probably correct.

Finally, the very thought of Bundy sitting at a help hotline and helping save lives alongside Ann Rule...well, it's very disturbing. She was sitting with this guy late at night with no one else around and completely unaware of what he was capable of. And he actually was helping people over the telephone...imagine years later some of those callers wondering if it was him who helped them out.  :o

And if I recall correctly from teh book (been a while since I've read it) during the trial, where he represented himself, he was "all business" and his "charming self" but something that was asked of him set him off, he lost it, and the prosecution or cops said they thought that was a turning point since his true colors that he'd been hiding came out when he was provoked.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
A recent case in my area. a 16 year old girl was stabbed to death by a classmate, suposedly beacuse she turned down his prom invitation. I don't know details, but based on waht people have said about her, she was a lovely person. And had a boyfriend, so while this is pure speculation, I can see someone politely saying 'than you, but I'm already going with someone" THe boy who did it is undergoing a psychiatirc evaluation.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
A friend of mine grew up in the same neighborhood as Etan Patz and rode the school bus with him until the day he disappeared in 1979. The police talked to every family in the area, and got their contact information.

In 2012, Pedro Hernandez was charged in the case.

Police from New York are in central Florida and talked to my friend at work today about the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Etan_Patz

Shalamar

The Steven Stayner case.  They made an excellent TV movie called I Know My First Name is Steven starring Corin Nemec.  In a nutshell, Steven was abducted when he was 7 and sexually abused for the next 7 years until he managed to escape (taking with him a young boy for whom the kidnapper planned the same fate).  The kidnapper, Kenneth Parnell, only received a sentence of 7 years, and he was paroled after serving 5 years. 

Tragically, Steven died of a motorcycle accident when he was only 24.  His brother Cary became a serial killer.

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
The Gainesville Murders from 1990.

We moved there in 1995.

At the time, the complexes where the murders happened still had grisly nicknames.
I have pet mice!

andi

The Steven Stayner case.  They made an excellent TV movie called I Know My First Name is Steven starring Corin Nemec.  In a nutshell, Steven was abducted when he was 7 and sexually abused for the next 7 years until he managed to escape (taking with him a young boy for whom the kidnapper planned the same fate).  The kidnapper, Kenneth Parnell, only received a sentence of 7 years, and he was paroled after serving 5 years. 

Tragically, Steven died of a motorcycle accident when he was only 24.  His brother Cary became a serial killer.

I read that book - the timing of everything when they were looking for him made me want to scream

I didn't know that about his brother.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM4BD7_Rose_Family_Murders_Lucas_Ohio

I don't know if anyone posted this yet, but I recently learned about this crime. A young girl is infatuated with a neighbor. In order to be with him, she kills her entire family. The picture taken of her after her arrest is chilling. There is absolutely no remorse in those eyes!

taffywduck

Sigh, this makes for a fairly depressing read :S

I have a couple that haunt me...

1) Guy Turcotte - Cardiologist, stabbed both his children (3-6 I think) over 40 times because he couldn't face the fact that his wife left him. He drank anti-freeze and pretended he wanted to commit suicide. The uproar at the end of his trial was impressive because he was found not guilty for reasons of temporary insanity or something. Even if the expert had found plenty of research on "painless ways to commit suicide" on his computer... plus the guy was a doctor so...

I also can't believe that there are tons of women who wrote to him when he was in the mental institution to say that THEY would never hurt him like his ex did and that they wanted to be with him and give him more children.

His ex has been a rock through all this. Broke my heart even more when she admitted that she couldn't get pregnant anymore. My kids were just a wee bit younger than hers when it happened, I still get sick when I see his name in the news. It was a big blow when the verdict came out and my faith in the system was shaken. A lot!

There will be a new trial in the coming years. I hope they get it right this time.

2) A woman (forgot her name) drowned her three young children while they were visiting with her. The dad had full custody because she was unstable and she only had supervised visitation. This visit was supervised by her mother who went out to the store for a little while. She came back and found the three kids dead.

The woman was also pregnant with a fourth child (not the same father) at the trial.

3) The Shafia murders. Three teenagers and their "aunt" where killed by their father/mother/older brother in a staged car accident. Why? The girls wanted to live normal lives and this "shamed" their father and mother. The "aunt" was actually the father's first wife who couldn't bare children and to whom he gave the girls to raise since his second wife didn't want the hassle of raising them.

All the signs of abuse were there, there had been multiple calls to child protective services, investigations even. The oldest had said her dad was going to kill her. Nothing was done for fear of being culturally insensitive. Now they're all dead.

There are more, actually I think it's worst when it's a parent hurting a child because I cannot wrap my head around the idea that one can do such things. It's so biologically wrong, it makes no sense at all to me. The human race is really one of wonder... and attrocities :(

BarensMom

This one is several years old, but I worked with several people who knew the victim and saw the car myself before the murder.  In a nutshell:

June Azevedo, wife of a prominent restaurant owner, was getting into her customized gold Lincoln Continental at a grocery when she was abducted by 2-3 men.  They drove her car around town with her tied up in the back seat or trunk.  After driving her to a abandoned Naval station, they forced her to drink Pine-Sol or Draino, then assaulted and murdered her.  They caught one of the suspects driving her car down the freeway.  I think the suspect told police that Mrs. Azevedo was targeted because of her very noticeable car.  He was tried and convicted, but he was sentenced to life instead of getting the death penalty because it was hoped he would rat out the other guys.   This has not happened and the other suspects were never found.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/19871135192CalApp3d943_11079.xml/PEOPLE%20v.%20HARRIS

soetkin

A very local case over a decade old where a car ended up in a canal with a father and two very young children on board. The father managed to save himself but the children drowned. Autopsies revealed very high levels of anti-freeze in the children's bodies, much higher than they would have absorbed from the window cleaning fluid that came free during the sinking of the car.
The case was brought to court that the father poisened/drugged his children with anti-freeze and deliberately drove into the water and let them drown to get back at his ex-wife. Due to lack of evidence however, he was not convicted.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
A very local case over a decade old where a car ended up in a canal with a father and two very young children on board. The father managed to save himself but the children drowned. Autopsies revealed very high levels of anti-freeze in the children's bodies, much higher than they would have absorbed from the window cleaning fluid that came free during the sinking of the car.
The case was brought to court that the father poisened/drugged his children with anti-freeze and deliberately drove into the water and let them drown to get back at his ex-wife. Due to lack of evidence however, he was not convicted.
The children were poisoned and drowned, and there was lack of evidence?!?

Or is it like some other high-profile cases, where the cops and/or the courts make a tiny mistake and the whole thing gets thrown out?

I hate reading or hearing about things like that.  There was one locally a few years ago, where the sperm donor (can't call that illegitimate son of a female dog a father) threw his children off a bridge to get back at their mother. :'(
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_J._Devlin
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/15/missouri.boys/
http://boingboing.net/2007/01/14/odd-internet-trail-p.html

A 13 year old boy is disappears after getting off his school bus. A classmate describes the truck he saw driving away from the bus stop where the boy disappeared. Police trace the truck to the manager of a local pizza place. They go to the guy's apartment and find the missing 13 year old boy...and a 15 year old boy who had disappeared 4 year prior.

The whole thing is disturbing to begin with, but after the boys were rescued, we find out that the older boy was left largely unsupervised for the 4 years he lived with his abductor, made friends with kids in the neighborhood, had online gaming profiles and even possibly posted on an online message board that was dedicated to finding him. In that time and with all that freedom, he never told anyone who he was or tried to escape.