Author Topic: S/O of Unsolved RL Crimes - What solved crime will always give you the chills?  (Read 27577 times)

Mikayla

The Steven Stayner case.  They made an excellent TV movie called I Know My First Name is Steven starring Corin Nemec.  In a nutshell, Steven was abducted when he was 7 and sexually abused for the next 7 years until he managed to escape (taking with him a young boy for whom the kidnapper planned the same fate).  The kidnapper, Kenneth Parnell, only received a sentence of 7 years, and he was paroled after serving 5 years. 

Tragically, Steven died of a motorcycle accident when he was only 24.  His brother Cary became a serial killer.

Thank you!  I'd been thinking of this case throughout the thread, but couldn't remember enough about it to even ask if anyone remembered.  I don't think he was a serial  killer, but he murdered 4 women in Yosemite.  One was a  mother/daughter.  And there was a note left that they had had some "fun" with one of the younger girls.

Asharah

A very local case over a decade old where a car ended up in a canal with a father and two very young children on board. The father managed to save himself but the children drowned. Autopsies revealed very high levels of anti-freeze in the children's bodies, much higher than they would have absorbed from the window cleaning fluid that came free during the sinking of the car.
The case was brought to court that the father poisened/drugged his children with anti-freeze and deliberately drove into the water and let them drown to get back at his ex-wife. Due to lack of evidence however, he was not convicted.
The children were poisoned and drowned, and there was lack of evidence?!?

Or is it like some other high-profile cases, where the cops and/or the courts make a tiny mistake and the whole thing gets thrown out?

I hate reading or hearing about things like that.  There was one locally a few years ago, where the sperm donor (can't call that illegitimate son of a female dog a father) threw his children off a bridge to get back at their mother. :'(

Egg donors can do it too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_Blood
Asharah

soetkin

The children were poisoned and drowned, and there was lack of evidence?!?

As I remember it it came down to a very technical argument between forensic doctors about the levels of anti-freeze in the bodies and the father had very good character references as he'd had a distinguished career in the military.
I think it's called 'probable cause' in the US and I don't know how easy it is to get a conviction in the US with that, but in Belgium it's very difficult.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
The same reason Casey Anthony wasn't convicted in her daughter's death. An FBI lab technician failed to take enough pictures of the sticker on the duct tape that was around Cailee's head before using a technique to analyze it that ended up destroying the sticker.

Matching stickers were found in the Anthony home.

Cherry91

The same reason Casey Anthony wasn't convicted in her daughter's death. An FBI lab technician failed to take enough pictures of the sticker on the duct tape that was around Cailee's head before using a technique to analyze it that ended up destroying the sticker.

The Doctor G forensics series did a pretty in depth analysis of Casey Anthony's trial and mistakes made in handling evidence. Of course, Dr G is 100% convinced Casey Anthony was guilty (she was an expert called by the prosecution), so there's a high chance the episode is biased, but it's interesting none the less.

Visiting Crazy Town

this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Durousseau

Because at the time he was killing the  womenl, I had a cousin that was dating him and had child with him.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!

The Doctor G forensics series did a pretty in depth analysis of Casey Anthony's trial and mistakes made in handling evidence. Of course, Dr G is 100% convinced Casey Anthony was guilty (she was an expert called by the prosecution), so there's a high chance the episode is biased, but it's interesting none the less.

I've seen the death certificate in the case signed by Dr. G. The FBI lab did a terrible job with handling the evidence in this particular case. There are plenty of reasons why this was not an accidental death and the mother should have been found guilty, but that will never happen now.

Asharah

I've seen the death certificate in the case signed by Dr. G. The FBI lab did a terrible job with handling the evidence in this particular case. There are plenty of reasons why this was not an accidental death and the mother should have been found guilty, but that will never happen now.
My sister is a lawyer and all through the trial she was saying, "She won't be convicted because they can't prove she did it."
Asharah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
If they had wrongful death as an option, that probably would have been the charge. So sad for that little girl.

o_gal

My sister is a lawyer and all through the trial she was saying, "She won't be convicted because they can't prove she did it."

I thought at the time that Casey had an absolutely brilliant defense lawyer: By trying to cast her Dad as one of the culprits with the "drowning", they could create reasonable doubt. But if she was found guilty (which I think she should have been), it set up for an appeal claiming that "my lawyer was so stupid to try to pin it on my Dad so he as incompetent - I should get a new trial".

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
In many trials, I have to admit I would find it hard to cross that line to vote "guilty." It's so hard to be sure.

In the Anthony trial, I don't think I could, in good conscience, ever agree to vote "not guilty." If I'd been on the jury, the best result the defence would have gotten was hung.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Mikayla

^I agree, and it's because of the instructions given the jury.  They're not asked to decide if the accused did the crime.  They're asked to decide if the state proved it beyond a reasonable doubt.

I was a little surprised that Scott Peterson (husband of Laci) got convicted, but downright shocked when he got the DP.   There was plenty of evidence that he was a complete cad, but nothing forensic to tie him directly to the crime.  That's why the DP surprised me so much.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well

The whole thing is disturbing to begin with, but after the boys were rescued, we find out that the older boy was left largely unsupervised for the 4 years he lived with his abductor, made friends with kids in the neighborhood, had online gaming profiles and even possibly posted on an online message board that was dedicated to finding him. In that time and with all that freedom, he never told anyone who he was or tried to escape.

I hope you're not blaming Shawn.

Conditioning can take far less time that you'd think, which is the truly scary thing. Look at the Jessyca Mullenberg kidnapping; by the time she was rescued 3 1/2 months after she was kidnapped she didn't recognize her own name.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
I was curious about the Shawn Hornbeck case after you mentioned it, and did some reading.  It sounds like early on in the kidnapping, the kidnapper took him out to the country in his car and was about to kill him.  Shawn begged him not to, promised never to try to escape and to do whatever the kidnapper wanted as long as he kept him alive.  The kidnapper agreed, but said that he'd kill him if he ever disobeyed.  So my guess would be that Shawn never trusted that, if he told somebody, they'd both believe him immediately *and* be able to protect him from the kidnapper (who was seriously about to kill him, so he knew the kidnapper could/would do it in a heartbeat), and probably after a while he got used to obeying and didn't really go through the process of thinking, hey, this is a time when I could safely tell them the truth and be rescued before he could get to me.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
Look at all the cases of long time abducted children who weren't believed when they told adults around them.  :(