Author Topic: S/O of Unsolved RL Crimes - What solved crime will always give you the chills?  (Read 28677 times)

doodlemor

Slight threadjack - here is a link to the story of Olive Oatman, a captive of the Native Americans who was later returned to her family. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_Oatman

Things that I have read about Olive said that she was tattooed as a kindly, religious gesture to protect her in the after life.  She tried unsuccessfully to have the tattoos removed.
there is a book on Olive published in the last few years I've been meaning to buy that argues she was considered to be a member of the second tribe- and considered herself as one because she would act as as a woman of the tribe and wasn't afraid to disagree.

That sounds like an interesting book - I'll have to look for it.

It's been awhile since I read about Olive.  My memory does confirm what you wrote, that she was well integrated into the second tribe.  I think that they might have been the ones to tattoo her. 

I remember reading something about her walking to an army post when she was going to back to her family, and when she got close by realized that she couldn't go into the post in her NA garb, which was scant.  She hid herself in a bush until someone brought her a dress to cover her nakedness.

If you like reading about the old west here is a link to a book that I just loved, and have reread many times.  You could probably get it through library interloan, if your local library doesn't have it.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gentle-Tamers-Women-Wild/dp/0803250258

It is by Dee Brown, who also wrote Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.  It is particularly interesting because Brown uses so many primary sources in his text, bringing the reader right back to those places and times.

One story in particular stays with me, although I can't remember the name of the woman.  This young woman was traveling west with her father and brothers in a wagon after the death of her mother.  One day when they were in the mountains her father and brothers rode off to hunt - and never came back.  When she realized that she was alone she cried for several days, and then decided to live.  She constructed a dugout type of shelter, using the wagon canvas for the top, killed her oxen for food, and lived.  When some Native Americans found her in the spring they were astonished that she had survived the winter by herself and they took her to a nearby fort.

Asharah

Asharah

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
The book on Olive Oatman is The Blue Tattoo by Margot Mifflin and I recommend it highly; it is out on the Kindle. Ms Mifflin tried very hard to separate the myth of Olive from the realities of her life.