Author Topic: S/O of Unsolved RL Crimes - What solved crime will always give you the chills?  (Read 25911 times)

The Wild One, Forever

One of many is the Cleveland kidnapped girls case, which blew wide open a year ago.  It had a happy ending, in that the lives of all three young women were spared, but when I think of the years of imprisonment, terror, and torture, they suffered, it horrifies me.  The perp, Ariel Castro, hanged himself in jail. 

The families of the girls never stopped looking for them, and the one girl's mother died before she was found. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Asharah

I'm really sickened that they let Karla out. She helped her boyfriend drug and rape her sister, for pete's sake! And drugged her so badly that she died.
I agree. The guy was a rapist before he met her, but he didn't KILL anybody until she got involved.

I've also read about poor Sylvia Likens (the girl tortured to death by her foster mother who also brought in neighbor boys into the torture), but I haven't gotten the nerve to watch the movies based on her story. Do NOT look up her story if you are sensitive.
That witch with a capital B should have been locked up until she died for what she did to that girl.
I think the biggest unsolved crime is why the monsters responsible for Jamie Bulger's murder were ever let out of prison and allowed new identities. Also the same goes for why was Baby P's mother ever released from prison.

As far as the Bulger killers go I hope that getting to kids when they're that young you should be able to rehabilitate them.  I think they were/are both very damaged boys and remember they are both on parole and can be recalled at any time.  Mary Bell was released from prison under an assumed identity and never re-offended.
DO NOT get me started on what they should have done to Mary Bell's mother. If you want to be a prostitute that specializes in S&M, fine. But you do not INVOLVE a 10-year-old child in that kind of "family business." I normally have no sympathy for murderers, but I think her mother was just as much to blame for the deaths of those boys as Mary was.
Asharah

misha412

The Holocaust

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
I've also read about poor Sylvia Likens (the girl tortured to death by her foster mother who also brought in neighbor boys into the torture), but I haven't gotten the nerve to watch the movies based on her story. Do NOT look up her story if you are sensitive.

I can't believe that took place in my home state!

doodlemor

I'm really sickened that they let Karla out. She helped her boyfriend drug and rape her sister, for pete's sake! And drugged her so badly that she died.

I think that Karla made a deal with the prosecutors to testify against Paul Bernardo in exchange for a lighter sentence, and that they really needed her testimony to convict him.  After that deal was made the prosecutors obtained video tapes which implicated her to a much greater degree of guilt.  Karla was young and pretty, and I don't think that the authorities fully realized that they were dealing with such a great evil.  If the authorities had had the tapes earlier, the deal never would have been made.

The tapes were in the possession of Paul Bernardo's defense lawyer, who withheld them from the prosecution for 17 months.  I don't think that he got into a great deal of trouble for not sharing them with the prosecution, although he was charged with obstruction of justice and acquitted.  I hope that the penalties for a lawyer would be more severe for this here in the US - all of this happened in Canada.

bo

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-01-22/news/ct-met-williams-plea-0122-20120122_1_williams-and-caffey-sam-evans-levern-ward.

This case is just horrific and after only serving 16 years she wants to be released. She wants to be able to "Smell a flower or receive a hug from a family member"

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-01-22/news/ct-met-williams-plea-0122-20120122_1_williams-and-caffey-sam-evans-levern-ward.

This case is just horrific and after only serving 16 years she wants to be released. She wants to be able to "Smell a flower or receive a hug from a family member"

She deserves nothing. except what she's got. I'm truly amazed she actually feels she's served enough time, and "deserves" to be let out. Um no. no you don't

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!

She deserves nothing. except what she's got. I'm truly amazed she actually feels she's served enough time, and "deserves" to be let out. Um no. no you don't

Well, she could get the fate that she meted out - because her victim is no longer smelling flowers or getting hugs from relatives...oh, wait, some people claim that the death penalty is "cruel"...so is murder.

Granted, if you convict & execute someone who is innocent, you can't undo that.  But if the person is guilty and admits it (on top of the other evidence) - then "life in prison" is life...in...prison.  For the protection of those around you, if for no other reason.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

bo

I am addicted to the ID channel and a few stick in my mind.

On Wicked Attraction  ( I don't remember the names), but  from what was reported was this guy was hard working and a good husband (Considered boring) by his wife. So she had an affair with a con man and they stole the husbands ss number and rang up huge credit card bills. When the husband caught on,they mailed him a bomb. Just so sad, this poor guy led a good life and of all people his wife of many years did

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
Susan Smith. I somehow can see those poor babies in their car seats as the car rolled into the lake, crying and not understanding why Mommy was just watching. .  . .  :'(

Luci

• Super Hero!
Susan Smith. I somehow can see those poor babies in their car seats as the car rolled into the lake, crying and not understanding why Mommy was just watching. .  . .  :'(

That's the image that haunts me.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/a-mass-murderer-leaves-eight-women-dead Was the one that touched me. We were married on July 2 and had just moved into an apartment 40 miles from Chicago. The murders happened July 13, Speck was caught on the 14th. I often wondered how three groups of three women could not overcome one crazy man - but I wasn't there.

I also feared for myself for that next day. I was totally repulsed when I saw the tape years later of Speck in prison, and often wondered how the survivor is doing. She would be about my age - late 60s.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
In my neighborhood a man killed and cut up his girlfriend into small pieces when I was a kid. She was found in his freezer (freezers?).  Honestly, I don't know many details but the images my young mind had were bad enough, and the fact that they lived just a street away really disturbed me. 

guihong

• Super Hero!
Albert Guay, who wanted to get rid of his wife.  He had an accomplice make a bomb, then smuggled it onboard a plane she would be on.  All on board, including Guay's wife, died in the crash.  Guay and his accomplices were all hung. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Guay

squeakers

http://qctimes.com/klindt-timeline/article_94739f4e-e55c-11df-b0cb-001cc4c002e0.html

Local chiro killed his wife and dismembered her with a chainsaw.  Her remains (some) were found in the Mississippi River.

I don't look to closely in the water now just because I would hate to come across a body.  There have been quite a few bodies pulled from the Mississippi this past winter. 
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
My dad used to work very closely with cops for various reasons. I won't tell most of the stories, because some of the stories are just. So. Disturbing. But two really stick out in my mind:

The dad who killed his young kids for the life insurance...on Christmas Day. He set the house on fire and nailed all the doors and windows shut. The little girl was still holding the stuff from her play kitchen she got that Christmas when they found the bodies.  :'(  :'(

The guy who went completely crazy and blew himself up and blew the back off the apartment building in which he lived. Most people said, "Oh, he was such a quiet man," at first, but when Dad got to talking with them, they remembered, oh, he dressed up in a Nazi uniform and chased the little black kids down the street, scaring the crap out of them. The fact that that was so normal to them that they never suspected that he might actually hurt someone...*shudder*
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter