Author Topic: S/O of Unsolved RL Crimes - What solved crime will always give you the chills?  (Read 27383 times)

Cherry91

I'm a really big crime and mystery nerd, and I love the "What real-life mystery/crime would you most like the answer to?" thread.

But sometimes there are crimes and mysteries that I learn about that were solved, but really stay with me for a long time afterwards.

So - what solved crime or mystery will always give you the heebie jeebies when you think about it?

EMuir

The one where a pregnant woman was also selling her dog's upcoming pups, and she was on a breed related message board. A crazy woman there announced she also was pregnant, and when the due date was near, arranged to go look at the first woman's dogs.

Crazy woman shows up, is NOT pregnant herself, kills the pregnant woman and cuts her baby out of her, then goes home and claims it to be her own.

That is a level of calculating crazy that really scares me.

They found the crazy woman and baby within a day, so it could get care.  But... eee.

123sandy

Child neglect and murder. It just boggles my mind that any parent can act in such a way, or stand by. Britain's had some horrible cases over the last few years, Baby P, Victoria Climbie... These are the stories that keep me awake at nights.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
was at a yard sale today, and heard two women discussing something like this,

"Yes, that was given to me by "Jane," my former best friend years ago, before...you know..."

"ah, how could I forget, after what she did!"

"I know!  I knew the custody battle was rough, but to do what she did, and now the kids have no parents, I jsut cannot believe I was actually friends with someone who would do that."

And that was all I heard.

No, I did not buy the item, nor did I hear anymore about what "Jane" did to the kids' father that cost her parental rights. 

yikes!!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Cherry91

The one where a pregnant woman was also selling her dog's upcoming pups, and she was on a breed related message board. A crazy woman there announced she also was pregnant, and when the due date was near, arranged to go look at the first woman's dogs.

Crazy woman shows up, is NOT pregnant herself, kills the pregnant woman and cuts her baby out of her, then goes home and claims it to be her own.

That is a level of calculating crazy that really scares me.

They found the crazy woman and baby within a day, so it could get care.  But... eee.

I saw that one too! I remember there was a psychologist on the show I saw that talked about the case, and the woman was a pathological liar who killed the mother and took her baby to "prove" that she wasn't lying about her latest (fake) pregnancy.

The way the psychologist said "She just saw the victim as her incubator" was chilling.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
First one, and it was only sort of solved. Ted Bundy. When I was young, I read ann rules book about him in Readers Digest. Gave the heebie jeebies, and it felt a small connection since my dad was from OR. Even though they knew he was responsible fir killing many women, there are potentially others that will never be solved

Another from Oregon; Diane Downes, who shot her 3 kids, killing one, because her BF didn't want to be with someone who had them.

Third: John List who murdered his entire family, and disappeared, they were not found for a month, and he was on the run for 18 years. He did this in his home which was blocks from where I grew up, although we moved in several years after. I can remember being home alone with friends and scaring ourselves silly saying he might come get us!

rose red

• Super Hero!
How timely. I'm in the middle of reading a book called Psycho USA: Famous Killers You Never Heard Of.

A reminder that people can be the scariest monsters of all.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
The Manson murders. Read Helter Skelter in HS and could not read before I went to bed. And I don't scare easily

MorgnsGrl

Another from Oregon; Diane Downes, who shot her 3 kids, killing one, because her BF didn't want to be with someone who had them.

Yes. I'm actually not a big true crime reader, but Small Sacrifices is an amazing book. I've read it half a dozen times at least and it's so powerful.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Lisa Haenel.  We lived next door to her parents when she was born.  Since we were both military, we moved, they moved, etc.  We met up with them again some years later, and Lisa attended the same parochial school for a year or so that my girls did. They knew her, but she was an acquaintance more than a friend. 

She was murdered walking to school one day,  :'(   the same school my grandson now attends.  The police concluded that her killer intended to rape her but was scared off when he heard other kids coming along the path.  The only clue was a cigarette butt on the ground by her body.

14 years later, the DNA on the cigarette butt linked her murder to 2 other murder/rapes in the area.  The SOB had been in prison for 13 years on yet another murder at this point.  No one had suspected that he was a serial killer.   He was already serving life without parole for that one, and is now serving 3 more consecutive life terms on top of that. 

Was there closure for their families? I don't know.  If it had been my daughter, the answer would be no.  :(
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
How timely. I'm in the middle of reading a book called Psycho USA: Famous Killers You Never Heard Of.

I just bought this. The more I read, the more I realize how many episodes of Criminal Minds and L&O:CI were actually based on real cases. I think I was happier not knowing...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!

I just bought this. The more I read, the more I realize how many episodes of Criminal Minds and L&O:CI were actually based on real cases. I think I was happier not knowing...

I need to look for this too. CM scares the bejesus out of me sometimes

doodlemor

First one, and it was only sort of solved. Ted Bundy. When I was young, I read ann rules book about him in Readers Digest. Gave the heebie jeebies, and it felt a small connection since my dad was from OR. Even though they knew he was responsible fir killing many women, there are potentially others that will never be solved

Third: John List who murdered his entire family, and disappeared, they were not found for a month, and he was on the run for 18 years. He did this in his home which was blocks from where I grew up, although we moved in several years after. I can remember being home alone with friends and scaring ourselves silly saying he might come get us!

These were my first thoughts, also.  Another one is the horrible, sad Andrea Yates story. 

otterwoman

I need to look for this too. CM scares the bejesus out of me sometimes

There were two times that a local crime would hit the news and I'd call up my friend and tell her that this would be on Law & Order: SVU next season. I was right each time.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Lisa Haenel.  We lived next door to her parents when she was born.  Since we were both military, we moved, they moved, etc.  We met up with them again some years later, and Lisa attended the same parochial school for a year or so that my girls did. They knew her, but she was an acquaintance more than a friend. 

She was murdered walking to school one day,  :'(   the same school my grandson now attends.  The police concluded that her killer intended to rape her but was scared off when he heard other kids coming along the path.  The only clue was a cigarette butt on the ground by her body.

14 years later, the DNA on the cigarette butt linked her murder to 2 other murder/rapes in the area.  The SOB had been in prison for 13 years on yet another murder at this point.  No one had suspected that he was a serial killer.   He was already serving life without parole for that one, and is now serving 3 more consecutive life terms on top of that. 

Was there closure for their families? I don't know.  If it had been my daughter, the answer would be no.  :(

Thank you so much for posting this!  I was an 8th grader at one of the middle schools attached to that high school when this happened, about to go to the high school the following fall, and it really shook us all up.  I hadn't even remembered her name, but I vividly remember it happening (didn't they find her in the woods around the school?) and I'm glad that they did finally discover who did it and that he's already in jail.

Sounds like your grandson goes to my old school.  :)