Author Topic: S/O of Unsolved RL Crimes - What solved crime will always give you the chills?  (Read 28811 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Lisa Haenel.  We lived next door to her parents when she was born.  Since we were both military, we moved, they moved, etc.  We met up with them again some years later, and Lisa attended the same parochial school for a year or so that my girls did. They knew her, but she was an acquaintance more than a friend. 

She was murdered walking to school one day,  :'(   the same school my grandson now attends.  The police concluded that her killer intended to rape her but was scared off when he heard other kids coming along the path.  The only clue was a cigarette butt on the ground by her body.

14 years later, the DNA on the cigarette butt linked her murder to 2 other murder/rapes in the area.  The SOB had been in prison for 13 years on yet another murder at this point.  No one had suspected that he was a serial killer.   He was already serving life without parole for that one, and is now serving 3 more consecutive life terms on top of that. 

Was there closure for their families? I don't know.  If it had been my daughter, the answer would be no.  :(

Thank you so much for posting this!  I was an 8th grader at one of the middle schools attached to that high school when this happened, about to go to the high school the following fall, and it really shook us all up.  I hadn't even remembered her name, but I vividly remember it happening (didn't they find her in the woods around the school?) and I'm glad that they did finally discover who did it and that he's already in jail.

Sounds like your grandson goes to my old school.  :)
Yes,  the next day her stepfather found her in a ravine in the woods near the school, throwing suspicion on him for a time.   She was her mother's only child. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Tosca

Not technically a crime, but I think it should have been.

In 2008 in West Australia, a well-respected Aboriginal elder named Mr Ward (his first name was not used, in accordance with Aboriginal tradition) was arrested for drunk driving in a remote location called Warburton.

Had he been white, he would probably have been bailed to appear in court.  Instead he suffered an escalating series of casual racism; he was refused bail and transported 400 km in the back of a prison van.  The prisoner capsule was a bare steel box with no windows, and ventilation provided only by a roof mounted air conditioner.

At some stage in the journey the airconditioner failed.  The temperature was around 43C (110F).  The guards ignored protocol and did not stop once during the trip to check on him.  By the time they did, he was unconscious with 3rd degree burns where his weight was resting on the bare metal.  He died in hospital without regaining consciousness.

The guards and the company responsible were fined for failing to provide proper care to Mr Ward, and the guards lost their jobs.  There was talk of charging them with manslaughter, but it didn't happen.

It nauseates me to think of the suffering that poor man endured.  I only hope he lost consciousness quickly.   

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
A case from back home: 16 year old girl vanishes from a parking lot. No enemies, friendly, popular in school, on the cheerleading squad. Searches are conducted, but the trail goes cold. No leads.

Six months later, a nineteen-year-old man confesses to the psychologist he'd just started seeing that he and a friend had killed her. She knew them from school, so when they asked her to drive them to "work" AKA a deserted location by claiming that they needed a ride and their car had broken down, she agreed. They then forced her out of her vehicle at that deserted location and into a waiting one, raped her and then suffocated her. Her body was buried in the woods. The two of them had been planning the crime for a while. She was picked on a whim- because she was there.

I went to school with her- I didn't know her well but I had met her. She was a lovely girl who would have grown up into a wonderful adult, but she never got the chance because of these evil people. Both of them are doing 99 years with no possibility of parole.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
The John List post brought this up. I know that family annihilators are rare - but I've been in close contact with future victims/survivors who escaped 3X since 2001. Then this year we had 2 close calls with students and domestic violence.

*2 Students and their mom murdered by the "dad/husband"
*Staff member who lost her sister and Mom, then took in the children - while the "dad" who intended to kill them was still on the loose. Some of our students were also cousins. We had a police officers stationed on our campus till he was caught. They were worried he would go after the children of the people who tried to help his late wife escape.
*Another staff member's husband committed suicide - in part because he was having dreams that he was going morph into a monster and kill her and their children. (Veteran with PTST and brain injury who wasn't getting the help he needed)
* 2x this year we have had police stationed on campus because of fears that "fathers" wanted for domestic violence would come to school looking for their kids they had threatened to kill. The local cops are taking such threats very seriously.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

katiescarlett

The case of Marybeth Tinning, who killed 8 of her 9 children, none living past toddlerhood except her oldest child who was 4.

Nikko-chan

Why do I read these threads? I don't think I'll sleep now....

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.

Regarding Mr Ward:

It would have taken several hours. That's what adds the real horror to the whole thing. He wouldn't have lost awareness until quite a long time into the process.

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2009/s2598796.htm
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

shadowfox79

I was twelve years old at the time of the Jamie Bulger case, in which two ten-year-old boys took a toddler from a supermarket and beat him to death.

It wasn't in my hometown, but near enough that they held a special assembly at my school about it. The thought that kids just two years younger than me could do that stayed with me for a long time.

The only other one that stuck in my head was that business with the lead singer of Lostprophets. I had considered myself unshockable before I read that one - not any more.

Cherry91

The only other one that stuck in my head was that business with the lead singer of Lostprophets. I had considered myself unshockable before I read that one - not any more.

I was a massive fan of the Lostprophets when I was about 14, and finding out what the singer was capable of was sickening. I found my old iPod a while ago, and when it switched to a Lostprophets song I nearly threw it across the room.

Wench

I think the biggest unsolved crime is why the monsters responsible for Jamie Bulger's murder were ever let out of prison and allowed new identities. Also the same goes for why was Baby P's mother ever released from prison.

faithlessone

For, me, it's every time I switch on the TV or open a newspaper and see yet another horrible crime perpetrated against children by the people who are supposed to protect them. Parents, teachers, guardians... It seems to be happening a lot in the last few years. :(

The Lostprophets case was particularly despicable. For a unrelated man to do such horrific things is bad enough, but the mothers who were involved? That's just unthinkable.

Snooks

I think the biggest unsolved crime is why the monsters responsible for Jamie Bulger's murder were ever let out of prison and allowed new identities. Also the same goes for why was Baby P's mother ever released from prison.

As far as the Bulger killers go I hope that getting to kids when they're that young you should be able to rehabilitate them.  I think they were/are both very damaged boys and remember they are both on parole and can be recalled at any time.  Mary Bell was released from prison under an assumed identity and never re-offended.

PurpleFrog

Not a murder case but it still gives me chills.

A couple moved in to a new house, when they went up into the attic they found the ususal detritus and a few suitcases. In the suitcase they found the corpse of an new born baby.

The police traced the old resident, Ann Mahoney and secarched her house, they found two more babies hidden in her house.

She claimed they were her own stillborn children that she'd delivered and hidden. The remains were so decomposed that they couldn't establish if the babies were stillborn but DNA showed a genitic link to the Mahoney.

The courts accepted her claim and eventually she was sentenced to 12 months community service.

I remember walking past the first house, the night it hit the news and even in my 20's I did i at a run. The discrepanices in  the carbon dating and her timeline have always played on my mind, and the fact they couldn't prove how those poor babies died. I still can't open any boxes/suitcases/bags that I find in a new house.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4303696.stm
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

rose red

• Super Hero!
I watch lots of crime reenactment shows and movies based on true stories, but one that really disgusted me was about Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo.

I've also read about poor Sylvia Likens (the girl tortured to death by her foster mother who also brought in neighbor boys into the torture), but I haven't gotten the nerve to watch the movies based on her story. Do NOT look up her story if you are sensitive.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
I'm really sickened that they let Karla out. She helped her boyfriend drug and rape her sister, for pete's sake! And drugged her so badly that she died.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls