Author Topic: S/O of Unsolved RL Crimes - What solved crime will always give you the chills?  (Read 27426 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
There was a case in SE Michigan about 15 years ago.  A teenage boy was found tied to a tree.  His story was that he and his girlfriend were in the park when they were accosted by a stranger with a gun.  The stranger tied the teenager up, and abducted the girl.  She was never found.

The teenager wasn't quite 18 years old, so the media did not release his name, but it was obvious that the police considered the teenager responsible, even though they lacked enough evidence to arrest him.

Two years pass.  A young teenage girl darts out into the middle of the road, screaming that a man is chasing her.  A motorist stops, rescues the girl, and sees enough of the license plate for the police to track down the man chasing her.

Once arrested, the man admitted to killing several teenage girls, including the one whose boyfriend he had tied to a tree.  He even led the police to that girl's body.

What gave me chills about this story was that someone completely innocent, who had been subjected to a terrifying encounter with evil, was himself considered guilty for over two years.  And it was only chance that exonerated him.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Cherry91

There was a case in SE Michigan about 15 years ago.  A teenage boy was found tied to a tree.  His story was that he and his girlfriend were in the park when they were accosted by a stranger with a gun.  The stranger tied the teenager up, and abducted the girl.  She was never found.

The teenager wasn't quite 18 years old, so the media did not release his name, but it was obvious that the police considered the teenager responsible, even though they lacked enough evidence to arrest him.

Two years pass.  A young teenage girl darts out into the middle of the road, screaming that a man is chasing her.  A motorist stops, rescues the girl, and sees enough of the license plate for the police to track down the man chasing her.

Once arrested, the man admitted to killing several teenage girls, including the one whose boyfriend he had tied to a tree.  He even led the police to that girl's body.

What gave me chills about this story was that someone completely innocent, who had been subjected to a terrifying encounter with evil, was himself considered guilty for over two years.  And it was only chance that exonerated him.

But... how could he have tied himself to the tree? Was he suspected of having an accomplice?

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
There were some police who felt that the tying up was "staged," in that they thought he could have somehow done it himself.  The newspapers made it sound as if the ties were so loose that he sould have been able to get out of them by himself without having to wait to be untied.  He was also extensively questioned as to whether he had someone else with him.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Hillia

There was a case in San Antonio years ago, maybe late 80's.  A woman was found in her car, with horrible 3rd degree burns over most of her body.  She told police that she had been carjacked in the parking lot of a grocery store, robbed, and set on fire.  She lived for a few days in horrible pain, and stuck to that story to the end.

Sadly, it was revealed after she died that there was security footage of her going in to the grocery store and purchasing lighter fluid and matches, then driving away alone.  It was also revealed that she was going to be fired that day for embezzling several thousand dollars from her employer, and criminal charges were likely.  The theory was that she had made up the attack in an attempt to buy time and sympathy.

I just can't wrap my head around this desperate woman clinging to what she thought was a solution, even while suffering terribly.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Cherry91

There was a case in San Antonio years ago, maybe late 80's.  A woman was found in her car, with horrible 3rd degree burns over most of her body.  She told police that she had been carjacked in the parking lot of a grocery store, robbed, and set on fire.  She lived for a few days in horrible pain, and stuck to that story to the end.

Sadly, it was revealed after she died that there was security footage of her going in to the grocery store and purchasing lighter fluid and matches, then driving away alone.  It was also revealed that she was going to be fired that day for embezzling several thousand dollars from her employer, and criminal charges were likely.  The theory was that she had made up the attack in an attempt to buy time and sympathy.

I just can't wrap my head around this desperate woman clinging to what she thought was a solution, even while suffering terribly.

Wasn't there a woman who stated she was attacked a few years ago and claimed that the attack was racially motivated (she was white, and her "attackers" were supposedly black)? And then it turned out she'd made the whole thing up, but not before seriously racketing up tensions in the area?

Dr. F.

Probably one of the worst things I've ever read, and I like true crime stories:

http://us.cnn.com/2014/03/12/justice/maryland-teens-assault-autistic-boy/?iref=obnetwork

What's even more disturbing is that, in recent interviews, his mother has said that the boy still considers these girls "friends," and doesn't understand how what they did was wrong.

It's upsetting on all kinds of different levels.

nuit93

Wasn't there a woman who stated she was attacked a few years ago and claimed that the attack was racially motivated (she was white, and her "attackers" were supposedly black)? And then it turned out she'd made the whole thing up, but not before seriously racketing up tensions in the area?

Honestly, I think there's been a few cases like that...

rose red

• Super Hero!

First one I thought of is Susan Smith.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up

Charles Stuart

Murdered his wife and unborn child, blamed a "black Man" resulting in massive man hunt that violated many people's basic civil rights. His brother confessed about what really happened and Charles killed himself.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

cass2591

• Global Moderator
jedikaiti, that's the story I remember. I'm surprised it went to trial, but if the defendant insists, that's their right. I'm not saying that's what happened because I don't know the details but dude, you admitted over and over you killed your kid so what do you expect from a trial?

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
jedikaiti, that's the story I remember. I'm surprised it went to trial, but if the defendant insists, that's their right. I'm not saying that's what happened because I don't know the details but dude, you admitted over and over you killed your kid so what do you expect from a trial?

I got the sense it wasn't only his wife who bonded with the kid... hence his compulsive confessing.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!

I got the sense it wasn't only his wife who bonded with the kid... hence his compulsive confessing.

I read an article after seeing the link - he mentioned in his repeated confessions that he couldn't forget his son's face...

Sounds like someone who got so caught up in his plans that he left his own feelings "out of consideration" until he'd followed the steps of his plan.  Then realized that he'd really "cut off his nose to spite his face".  Because now he'd lost his father and his son...and that the "revenge" he'd thought about was not what he really wanted after all...

But it was a little late...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Allyson

I am incredibly disturbed by the idea that someone would marry someone, father a child, and live with them for years all...planning revenge this whole time. It just boggles my mind. I can't help but wonder, how did he behave? Did he and his wife have normal evenings, watch movies, go to bed, all the while he was planning to do this to her? Did she ever get the feeling that something was wrong? These are the thoughts that haunt me about cases like this....

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!

There was a case in NY, but back in the 80s, but it was a teenage girl, and it turned out her allegations were false.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tawana_Brawley_rape_allegations

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Folks, let's just leave it said that both blacks and whites have a record of accusing the others unjustly.  Because I think that if it goes any further, this thread may get locked. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~