Author Topic: S/O of Unsolved RL Crimes - What solved crime will always give you the chills?  (Read 27873 times)

Hillia

Oscar Jimenez, deliberately stomped and beaten to death by his mother's boyfriend in San Jose, CA.  They then drove his body to Phoenix and buried it in the courtyard of an apartment building around the corner from me.

http://www.unforgottenchildren.com/oscarjimenez.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Quiltin Nana

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jennifer_Daugherty

This girl believed these monsters to be her friends. 

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
In 2005/2006 Phoenix had 2 serial killers/shooters operating. It was a scary time. I was working night shift just a few miles away from the Baseline Sniper's stomping ground. I walked the long way around to get to the parking lot and never went out for lunch except with some of the guys from work.

Around that same time, the Serial Shooter was also doing random drive by shootings and other crimes. One of my sister's friends (they were teens at the time) woke up one night and decided to walk around for reasons unknown. He heard a loud noise and felt a burn across his chest. He was grazed by a bullet, and his main concern was that his favorite shirt was ruined ::)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
This happened in my hometown - scary. and for no reason, whatsoever

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/nyregion/02girl.html?_r=0

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up

On the flip side. A cognitively disabled young teenager from Sis's neighborhood disappeared on an evening walk with her family. There was a pretty massive search.

About a week later, some homeless teens (phrase that should not exist) who lived on Longpoint, walked into a substation with the girl. They had found her wandering, but she refused to tell them where she lived and was terrified of going to the police.

The teens kept her with them, fed her best they could, and made sure one one hurt her in any way. They finally convinced her that it was ok to go to the cops and walked her into the station.

These are the children that have been thrown away.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

asb8

This one.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/15/us/south-dakota-cold-case-missing-girls/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Gives me the chills to think that a car accident in the wrong place can leave so many unanswered questions. I wonder how many other similar situations are revealed by droughts?

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
The torture and murder of Matthew Shepard will always haunt me, even though it happened nowhere near where I am.

The heartbreaking song "Scarecrow" is about him.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:22:36 AM by GreenEyedHawk »
"After all this time?"
"Always."

WishUponAStar

Ted Bundy. I read The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule (who knew and worked with Bundy) and it's a hard case to get out of my head. I was particularly haunted by the the very short opportunity he had to nab a lot of his victims. One girl never walked around her campus after dark; the one day she took a chance, he kidnapped her. One woman went upstairs to grab a magazine, leaving her fiance and his children for a brief moment; he kidnapped her. All of the crimes were horrid, but the one that stands out to me the most is him abducting two women from the same place hours apart (a crowded beach). Most of the women kindly offered him assistance, as he was using a cast as a ruse.  :( It's easy for this case to still haunt, considering that the bodies of many of his victims have never been found, leaving their families to suffer. I suspect that he killed many more women than we actual know about.

Dazi

• like the flower
This one.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/15/us/south-dakota-cold-case-missing-girls/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Gives me the chills to think that a car accident in the wrong place can leave so many unanswered questions. I wonder how many other similar situations are revealed by droughts?

Seems to be a frequent occurrence here in Florida.  A  car will suddenly become visible in a retention pond, lake, or swamp land after a long dry spell or after a bad storm stirs up the water.  Sometimes cars are found way off the beaten path when land is being cleared for development.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dawse

Ted Bundy. I read The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule (who knew and worked with Bundy) and it's a hard case to get out of my head. I was particularly haunted by the the very short opportunity he had to nab a lot of his victims. One girl never walked around her campus after dark; the one day she took a chance, he kidnapped her. One woman went upstairs to grab a magazine, leaving her fiance and his children for a brief moment; he kidnapped her. All of the crimes were horrid, but the one that stands out to me the most is him abducting two women from the same place hours apart (a crowded beach). Most of the women kindly offered him assistance, as he was using a cast as a ruse.  :( It's easy for this case to still haunt, considering that the bodies of many of his victims have never been found, leaving their families to suffer. I suspect that he killed many more women than we actual know about.

There's a Dutch film called The Vanishing that's loosely based on Bundy. It's a very good film, excellently shot and made and makes for very compelling watching, but it's terrifying. The first time I watched it I didn't know it had been inspired by real events, but it developed a whole new level of creepy once I knew it had. If you like films that are more or less guaranteed to give you nightmares, I recommend it.

On the flip side. A cognitively disabled young teenager from Sis's neighborhood disappeared on an evening walk with her family. There was a pretty massive search.

About a week later, some homeless teens (phrase that should not exist) who lived on Longpoint, walked into a substation with the girl. They had found her wandering, but she refused to tell them where she lived and was terrified of going to the police.

The teens kept her with them, fed her best they could, and made sure one one hurt her in any way. They finally convinced her that it was ok to go to the cops and walked her into the station.

These are the children that have been thrown away.

This makes me want to cry.
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

soetkin

The Jeffrey McDonald case has stuck with me since I was a child and saw a part of the movie 'Fatal Vision' about the case. He butchered his wife and two small children and then tried to cover it up by saying a bunch of hippies invaded the house and did it. The trials took ages and he's still appealing now even though all evidence shows he did it.
The movie was based on the excellent book of the same name by Joe McGinniss, who wrote an update of the case (Final Vision) in 2012.

Also, as posted on the first page, the Diane Downs (Small Sacrifices) case due to the movie with Farrah Fawcett.

nuit93

I live really close to one of his favorite hunting grounds.  That park gave me the willies even before I knew what had happened there...now I can barely bring myself to go.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
This one.

When I was training in car insurance, we had a "case" where a parent charged their adult child with theft of a loaner vehicle because they'd borrowed it (no memory of why) - and it had been six months since they'd driven off.

Six months later, a vehicle went off a curve on a the side of a cliff and "hung" suspended in the branches of a forest further down the side of the mountain/cliff.  While rescuing that vehicle, the emergency services found the first vehicle nearby, also suspended in the branches of trees, with the remains of the driver and a companion still in it...

Apparently, that time of year was notorious for people who were taking the curve too fast to go off the road in that area (country & geographical location), but the earlier vehicle had either gone through a damaged safety rail (so no one realized that there had been an accident) or just missed it.  The more recent accident had happened in front of witnesses, so emergency services were called in very quickly...

We were told the general features of the claim - to remind us that not all events turn out to be what they look like at first glance by investigators.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

nayberry

the case of jeremy bamber, http://www.jeremy-bamber.co.uk/

did he really kill his family or was it his sister? 

its been a long time with experts somewhat divided, although i think some of that depends on who's paying them....

Mikayla

Big pod to this.  I remember 3 things most about this book.

1.  Ann Rule knew him personally and even worked a victim's hotline with him.  Alone.  At night. 

2.  One of the few who escaped was a younger girl who was the daughter of a cop.  She said something in his eyes told her to get away at any cost.

3.  That photo from the trial where his "mask" fell way.  If you've read the book, you know the one I'm talking about!  The urbane guy disappeared, a monster suddenly popped up and it was captured on film.