Author Topic: The pool installer relieved himself in my yard! LONG update pg4- #49 FIRED!  (Read 9241 times)

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
I am in the process of having an above ground pool installed in my backyard.
I bought the pool online and hired a local contractor to install it.

I am having a few issues with the contractor but the one that really squicks me out is that he relieved himself in my backyard!

It was in the back part of the yard where there are only trees and pine straw, but I could clearly see him from my kitchen window and I could see what he was doing even though his back was to me.

Because of shipping issues, the rest of the install has to be done at the end of the week and will be a long day.

I think I need to bring this up with him.  It really grosses me out because I go back there and so do my dogs.  But, even if I didn’t, what kind of judgment does a person have who thinks its ok to go in the client's yard?

It’s just one of a few issues I have with him.  Other issues were him asking for more money, being a bit pushy and arguing with me over something that is really none of his business.

So, what should I say to him about “going” in my yard.  I think that’s where I need to start.  I don’t think I should let it slide.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:53:33 PM by Audrey Quest »

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: The pool installer relieved himself in my yard!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 12:45:32 AM »
I take it you hired him directly and he's self-emploed? So no boss to call and complain to / ask to send someone else?

I'd probably say "Please don't relieve yourself in my yard. If you need a toilet (whatever you're comfortable with - knock and ask or there's a gas station down the road, etc.)". That's crazy!! Have fun with the yelp and google reviews when all is said and done.  ;)

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:34:42 AM »
I'm guessing he likely didn't know that he was welcome to use the washroom in your home, so I think that's the best place to start -- tell him right away next time that he can let himself in and use the washroom.  You don't have to bring up that you saw him urinate outside, just make it clear that he's welcome to do it indoors.

sweetonsno

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 01:37:14 AM »
I'm with JenJay. If he's with a company, call and ask for a replacement. (Say that he urinated in your yard. No need to explain why you're bothered.)

If he's self-employed, you're going to have to have a somewhat uncomfortable discussion. In all honesty, I'd probably pretend I hadn't seen it and just toss out the suggestion for a bathroom as though it had slipped my mind earlier. If you're willing to let him use your loo, say so when he next arrives. (Mention any other amenities that you're willing to give access to him as well.)

"Good morning, Peter. It looks like it's going to be a hot one today. If you want to store your lunch in the fridge or you need to refill your water bottle or use the bathroom, I'll leave the backdoor open/you can holler through the office window/go ahead and knock."

Redsoil

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 01:43:59 AM »
I can't imagine it will improve relations to mention you're not impressed with him "going" in the yard. 

Think about it for a minute, and figure out what you want to achieve.  Quick installation of pool, done well?  No further issues with arguing over differing perspectives?  Figure out what you want, then what wording will help you get it.  Sweetonsno said it beautifully with regard to "managing" the toileting issue.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 02:19:37 AM »
Ewww! Pretty unprofessional behaviour. He could have asked to use your bathroom, or asked whether there was a nearby petrol station or shops he could visit.

That said, I agree with PPs who say you probably won't gain much by telling him off (although you certainly wouldn't be rude by asking him to refrain from peeing in your yard). If you want, you could just give him the heads up "Hey, just so you're aware, if you need to use the bathroom, just knock on the door and I'll let you in."

If you don't want him inside your house, using your bathroom, and there isn't much more work to be done, I'd personally just bite my tongue and say nothing more.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 02:33:13 AM »
I would go with Sweetonso's suggestion.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CakeEater

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 03:07:47 AM »
Did you let him know he could access your bathroom?

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 04:15:08 AM »
One of the first things I say to any contractor doing work at my house is "By all means, come and go as you please and let me know if you need anything. The bathroom is the first door on the left."

That's not to say that I wouldn't be turned off by a grown man peeing in my yard.

Although, two days ago, I caught my three year old with his pants around his ankles. I didn't freak out, but I did tell him, and had his dad reiterate that we go pee on the toilet, not in the snow.

Also, my dog pees all over our yard.

My point is, I guess, that of course what he did was rude. But if your own dogs pee there, I don't think that you can say that it's gross. And I do think that it is common courtesy to offer bathroom facilities to people working on your property. So, in the absence of such an offer, what was you expectation? I'm not saying that what he did wasn't trashy, but I am wondering if you offered use of your facilities.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 10:20:08 AM »
I too witnessed a workman peeing in my yard.  I said nothing, but did tell him later that he was welcome to use my bathroom.  In my experience, many men think that peeing outside is no big deal. As has been pointed out, your dog pees outside -- and so do birds, frogs, insects, and whatever other critters are out there.  The soil is full of earthworm poop.

If it really bothers you, you could hose down the area. Or avoid that spot until the next rain.

One of my unending pet peeves is workers who misbehave in various ways.  Despite the fact that you're paying them, once they start a project, you're over a barrel and don't want to antagonize them. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

rigs32

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 11:19:47 AM »
I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone working on your property to go to a shop or gas station to use a restroom.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »
I don't think it's reasonable to expect someone working on your property to go to a shop or gas station to use a restroom.

Agreed. I'd think it unreasonable to not let someone use my loo, if they are on my property with my permission. I agree he shouldn't have gone outside, but as PPs said, to most blokes it isn't a huge deal.

Just mention that 'oh, by the way, the loo is the first door on the left, you're welcome to make yourself a cup of tea'. That's the usual spiel I give anybody who's come to do a job.

Edited to change first word: reading comprehension FAIL on my part.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:09:36 PM by Teenyweeny »

m2kbug

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 12:07:30 PM »
I would offer use of the facilities the next time he's here.  Once here, I don't require them to knock each and every time, just tell them to please come in, the bathroom is over there, and help yourself to water/ice if you need to (usually they have drinks, though).  If they're going to be here all day, I would expect they may need to use the facilities at some point.  All kinds of creatures pee in the wild, and for me, I just think I wouldn't worry about this one.  It's temporary.

If he works for a business, you might call and ask what the expectations are for the workers.  This guy sounds disagreeable enough, I wonder of finding someone else might be a better choice.  As CrazyDaffodilLady pointed out, you feel like you're over a barrel sometimes and you don't want to antagonize them, and you haven't exactly started out on the best footing.  I don't think I would say anything about him urinating in the yard at this point, just make sure he can use your bathroom when he needs to.  Also, I hate to say this, but if you have a male around (I'm assuming you're female) to help field the work to be done, this might be helpful with some of the other issues with the install.

TabathasGran

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 12:18:47 PM »
I agree with those who say to let him know he can use your facilities.

This wouldn't bother me though.

When I was a teenager I noticed our mechanic going behind our garage and told my Dad. I thought it was just terrible until Dad said "well, would you rather him come in the house?"
No, actually, I would not with this particular gentleman. Thank you very much. Changed my perspective a bit.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 12:47:52 PM »
Since my dog pees in our yard, I don't think I'd be very grossed out by a guy doing the same.  Although, our yard is very open and we just have a short chain link fence, so I don't think he'd want everyone around to be able to see what he was doing!  Personally, I would just hose down the spot or wait for the next rain/snow to come along. 

I would tell him next time though, "There's no need to relieve yourself outside.  You're welcome to use our bathroom when you need to!".  That is, of course, if you're okay with him doing that.