Author Topic: Showing guests what to wear  (Read 4805 times)

turnip

Re: Showing guests what to wear
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2014, 01:58:53 PM »
Good Lord, I didn't even follow the attached link.

http://media.offbeatbride.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/6/files/2010/05/WearThisNotThat.jpg

Yea, I'm sending regrets.  And how come it's OK to wear a tie to the beach cookout but not the wedding?

I love this!  It's goofy and made me smile, but also understandable -- I love the combination of photo and text so it's clear why they've chosen each photo.  I'd feel very comfortable attending the wedding after seeing this link.

I liked this one because it used pop culture references. Lost vs. Real Housewives, those are two very different looks and one is much more casual then the other.

However, I want to be so very clear on this point, I was posting about the article that talked about playing dress up and showing your guests what you mean. Not the additional link to another article written by someone else on the site answering a question about conveying appropriate clothing choices that another someone else asked.

Just a word about the pop culture references--you need to know your guests.

I've heard of Lost and Real Housewives, but never seen an episode. So a reference to dress or not dress like the cast of either show would be lost on me. And who is Vince?

If the instructions were to dress like Real Housewives, for example, I'd have to go and do more research in order to figure out what to wear.

I interpreted the link as the pictures being the main focus of what to wear, not that you should research the pop culture jokes further.  I don't know anything about the shows or people referenced and the link seemed clear to me.

I think the HC we're trying to be a little fun and jokey, but I don't for a moment think Lost is any kind of good guideline for what to wear to a party unless the theme is "Pick ou what you would wear for a trip on an airplane, and then leave it outside in the elements for a couple of weeks for that 'stranded without modern conveniences' look."

And the Real Housewives _in_the_picture_ largely look like they are wearing lovely colorful sun dresses that I think would look great at a beach party!     That yellow or green dress with flip-flops might be exactly what I would consider wearing, regardless of the pictures on the invite.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »

http://media.offbeatbride.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/6/files/2010/05/WearThisNotThat.jpg

Yea, I'm sending regrets.  And how come it's OK to wear a tie to the beach cookout but not the wedding?

I love this!  It's goofy and made me smile, but also understandable -- I love the combination of photo and text so it's clear why they've chosen each photo.  I'd feel very comfortable attending the wedding after seeing this link.

I liked this one because it used pop culture references. Lost vs. Real Housewives, those are two very different looks and one is much more casual then the other.

However, I want to be so very clear on this point, I was posting about the article that talked about playing dress up and showing your guests what you mean. Not the additional link to another article written by someone else on the site answering a question about conveying appropriate clothing choices that another someone else asked.

I've heard of Lost and Real Housewives, but never seen an episode. So a reference to dress or not dress like the cast of either show would be lost on me. And who is Vince?

If the instructions were to dress like Real Housewives, for example, I'd have to go and do more research in order to figure out what to wear.

I interpreted the link as the pictures being the main focus of what to wear, not that you should research the pop culture jokes further.  I don't know anything about the shows or people referenced and the link seemed clear to me.

Yes. But my thought line was that if only pop culture references were used, and not pictures, some of the guests might be confused.

And in the first set of pictures, the message I got from the pictures, not the text, was dull drab colors good, bright cheery colors bad.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2014, 03:00:03 PM »

Yes. But my thought line was that if only pop culture references were used, and not pictures, some of the guests might be confused.

And in the first set of pictures, the message I got from the pictures, not the text, was dull drab colors good, bright cheery colors bad.

I do think there could have been a better choice then Lost Vs. Real Housewives. Though I did think Couples Retreat Vs. Wedding Crashers worked pretty well in showing a difference of cute resort wear over a suit.

StarFaerie

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2014, 03:29:17 AM »
I know I'm an awful judgemental person, but did anyone else find themselves wondering why the clothes weren't ironed before the photo session and whether the happy couple were suggesting an unironed skirt was appropriate attire?

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2014, 05:05:34 PM »
I know I'm an awful judgemental person, but did anyone else find themselves wondering why the clothes weren't ironed before the photo session and whether the happy couple were suggesting an unironed skirt was appropriate attire?

I think ironing is probably personal preference -- I don't iron my skirts/pants, because I don't like the look of pleats in my clothes, it just doesn't suit my style.  As long as they're not overly wrinkly, I don't see any reason why other people would care (though I guess you do?).

Jones

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2014, 05:20:39 PM »
I can't recall the last time I ironed. I know I have it's just been a year or longer. I try to buy clothes that won't need it.

Kaymar

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »
I don't own an iron.  Now that I live with my fiance, I do have access to one, but I have no idea where it is nor would I ever use it.

StarFaerie

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
Ok. I cheerfully stand corrected then :)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2014, 06:20:51 PM »
Very rude, condescending and assumes your guests don't know how to properly dress. I would decline such an event. 

CakeEater

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2014, 10:33:15 PM »

I think ironing is probably personal preference -- I don't iron my skirts/pants, because I don't like the look of pleats in my clothes, it just doesn't suit my style.  As long as they're not overly wrinkly, I don't see any reason why other people would care (though I guess you do?).

Ironing pants doesn't require putting pleats down the front of them - it's about ironing the noticeable wrinkles out.

I'm not a lover of ironing myself and don't do it as much as possible, but I don't think we're at the point yet where ironing is just 'personal preference'. Anytime you're wanting to present yourself as looking nice, I think ironing noticeable wrinkles out of clothes is a requirement. Of course, clothes that don't wrinkle don't need to be ironed.

But presenting yourself in a 'how to dress' scenario and wearing wrinkled clothes is a bit ironic.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2014, 11:00:03 PM »
Rude and condescending. The pictures address a lot that is personal style and not level of formality. "See how comfortable and happy they are?" implies that, yes, "happy" guests (aka, desirable guests) will, indeed, wear Hawaiian shirts. Calling suits "stuffy" also implies a value judgement and not a positive one, either. I know plenty of gentlemen who do wear suits to wedding who would be offended to be called stuffy, even though they would be perfectly fine with being told "wear casual clothes and sandals", without the snide remark.