Author Topic: How to avoid mailing your wedding invitations....Facebook it!  (Read 890 times)

Hurricane Marathon

You guys will have a field day with this one.

You know how Facebook "privacy" settings are so lax that you can see when someone has been tagged in a photo?  Well get this.  Today I saw a friend had been tagged in a photo of a wedding invitation with the caption "Some invites are way late so going to tag people in this pic lol."

Then a comment on the pic: "For all of you who have not received an invite to my big brother's wedding, it's because we don't have your address or phone numbers!!! We really hope you can all come and spend this special day with us!"

Yep.  They took a photo of their wedding invitation, posted it so everyone can see, and tagged the people they want to invite. 

Nevermind the people who have not been tagged so they're obviously not invited......or the fact that hundreds or possibly thousands of people now know when & where a wedding is taking place which will most likely have lots of booze and monetary gifts on the premises.

What could possibly go wrong?

alice

Re: How to avoid mailing your wedding invitations....Facebook it!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:31:09 AM »
I worked with a woman whose sister addressed all of her wedding invitations to herself, but put the guest's name in the return address section of the envelope and droppped them in mail boxes all over town with no postage.  The post office ended up "returning" them to the guests.  This was back in the 80's.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »
Oh, and you didn't even mention the part about how a third party is inviting people to someone else's wedding

www.ellenseltz.com

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:52:38 PM »
Oh, and you didn't even mention the part about how a third party is inviting people to someone else's wedding

I know eh.

It looks like the original picture was posted by the Groom and the comment is from his sister.

omjulie

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 01:11:29 PM »
I'm mostly surprised they didn't just create a Facebook event. I mean, if you want to invite people using Facebook, why not use the function that Facebook already has for that? Plus, you can make it so only invited guests can see the event. Too much effort to set up the event page or something?

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »
I'm mostly surprised they didn't just create a Facebook event. I mean, if you want to invite people using Facebook, why not use the function that Facebook already has for that? Plus, you can make it so only invited guests can see the event. Too much effort to set up the event page or something?

Sounds like there were many aspects of hosting a wedding that were too much effort for this crew. Like, finding out where your friends and family live or how to contact them personally. I mean, if you know someone is on FB and you can tag them, how hard is it to send a PM (even to the whole group) and ask people to reply with their address? 
                www.ellenseltz.com

Carotte

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 02:18:28 PM »

Sounds like there were many aspects of hosting a wedding that were too much effort for this crew. Like, finding out where your friends and family live or how to contact them personally. I mean, if you know someone is on FB and you can tag them, how hard is it to send a PM (even to the whole group) and ask people to reply with their address?

And if for some reason your plan is to be 100% paperless you should still take the time to email each and everyone of your guest with a nicely worded mail and a clean PDF, or at least image attached.
 ::)