Author Topic: Things I wish I noticed before I moved in  (Read 17379 times)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: Things I wish I noticed before I moved in
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2014, 05:57:51 PM »
One cheap trick I use that cuts air conditioning costs is to cover the windows, taping it on the glass, on the sunny side with aluminum foil--or cover a window-sized cardboard mat with the foil and place it there during the day. It reflects the sun and keeps the house noticeably cooler during the warm seasons.

Also be aware that this is a common thing that pot growers do to assist their plants. You may get more attention than you planned on from the police if they see this (at least in my area you will)

A pleasant side effect of a Halloween decoration (window silhouettes) was how much cool my house was, I may have started putting them up early.  They let in enough light that the house didn't feel dark and I didn't feel as anti-social as I did when I had the drapes closed. IF they had them for the other Holidays I would of had them up all year.

this type of thing....http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=halloween+window+silhouette&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=31562390957&hvpos=1s2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4346385219167889820&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1jmhy1euoo_b

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
You can get darkening film that works just as well as foil and keeps the neighbors from watching your house with suspicion.

wheeitsme

« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2014, 07:08:06 PM »
Heck, you can get removable window film that looks like stained glass, or just patterns...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »
There is a row of houses on a street that all have foil on the windows. They are always getting investigated for something.

Also, here, foil on a window would violate the HOA or rental agreement.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »
I have stained glass film on windows arranged in a gothic arch shape and lots of "frosted" glass film on the kitchen windows, windows in doors, and side panel windows on either side of the front door. 

Granted - these are under the porch or a covered parking area - but they provide privacy in shaded areas. 

I have the heat reflective film on most (not all) of the windows that do get a lot of sun.  I need to replace a few of them - they've bubbled in the eight years since I originally started putting them on the glass in 2006.

I have blinds in the windows and drapes/curtains over most of the bedroom & bathroom windows, too.

Sunlight going through glass changes UV rays to infra-red rays once they bounce off stuff inside the house.  Infra-red is also known as heat...the warm patch of sunlight on the floor that your cat or dog curls up in is warmer than the rest of the floor for a reason.  Keep the sunlight out if you want to keep the heat out.

I've also heard that if you want summer shade - morning glory vines grow fast, soak up sun shade a brick wall or windows behind trellis - but can be cleared out relatively easily in the fall after they've died.

Window screens can be made with a special heavy screening material that blocks more light than usual - since they go on the OUTSIDE of the window, they keep the heat from getting into the house, let you open the glass for a breeze without light or bugs getting inside, and can be removed & stored when the weather cools off and you want to use the greenhouse effect to warm the house just a bit.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?