Author Topic: S/O re Asking About Age  (Read 1957 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
S/O re Asking About Age
« on: April 08, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
Is it rude to call people out if they passive/aggressively tease you about your age?  Here was the situation:

I was at a board games meetup last week (new group) and we were playing "Say Anything."  When it was my turn to ask the question I chose this "In my opinion, what is the song most likely to pack a dance floor?"  All the others tittered when they submitted the following:

"The Twist"
"The Hustle"
"The Macarena"
"YMCA"
"Thriller"
"Bad"

I concealed my annoyance and answered "My opinion isn't based on what I'd want to see pack a dance floor, but on what I think will, so..." then rejected each one at a time until announcing that it was  XXX.

I know I was the oldest person in the game at that point, but I don't appreciate the reminder.  What could I have done so this doesn't happen again?

alkira6

Re: S/O re Asking About Age
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 05:05:54 PM »
I kind of think you might be a little over sensitive on this one.  All of those are songs that are still played at just about every teen dance that I have chaperoned in the past decade, so it's not about age.  I would have laughed too at submitting any one of those just from the memories of some of the ridiculous dances people do when they come on. 

You've never seen anything funnier that a bunch of 12-14 year olds who have been holding up the walls all evening rush on the floor to do a completely uncoordinated hustle or dance to "Thriller".

kudeebee

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 10:25:09 PM »
I'm not sure why you are annoyed.  All of those songs do fill the dance floors when I have been at events.  Out of curiosity, what song did you pick?

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 10:33:56 PM »
I'm not sure why you are annoyed.  All of those songs do fill the dance floors when I have been at events.  Out of curiosity, what song did you pick?

That's been my experience, too.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:34:49 PM »
I picked "YMCA" because everyone likes to make fun of it.

Trust me, if the question had been which song I would have wished would fill a dance floor, I would have chosen "La Cumparsita."

jmarvellous

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:12:34 PM »

That's been my experience, too.

I don't specifically recall people coming to dance to "Bad," but none of these options would strike me as passive-aggressive digs at your age!

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:40:37 PM »
I think you need to explain what they did that was insulting because I don't understand. All those songs are popular songs that people love to dance to. They are songs where people leave the edges of the room and go dance so those all seem like good guesses to me.

StarFaerie

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 11:43:43 PM »
I kind of think you might be a little over sensitive on this one.  All of those are songs that are still played at just about every teen dance that I have chaperoned in the past decade, so it's not about age.  I would have laughed too at submitting any one of those just from the memories of some of the ridiculous dances people do when they come on. 

You've never seen anything funnier that a bunch of 12-14 year olds who have been holding up the walls all evening rush on the floor to do a completely uncoordinated hustle or dance to "Thriller".

Yup. I had to drop into DS's (he's in year 10) school the other night to pick him up from a games tournament that was held at the same time as the year 8 disco (12-13 year olds). I walked past the school hall to see all the kids dancing away to "Blame it on the Boogie" complete with the time honoured hand and body movements. Hilarious. Something new then started playing and the dance floor became much less populated and I moved on to the games room to pick up my nerd from his MtG night.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 12:38:06 AM »
What makes you think they weren't just honest suggestions? "Thriller", "YMCA" and "The Macarena" would all have been on my list as well. I think you took offence where none was intended.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 04:14:55 AM »
I have absolutely no idea how any of these suggestions are tied to anyone's age at all, and certainly not a dig at the OP's age!

CakeEater

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 07:38:53 AM »
All of those songs came out at vastly different times as well. I don't know the Hustle, but most of the others all came out in different decades.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 07:42:22 AM »
And there are lots of other "old" songs that still get played to get people to dance, like the Chicken Dance, which wikipedia says is from the 1950s.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 07:48:34 AM »
I have absolutely no idea how any of these suggestions are tied to anyone's age at all, and certainly not a dig at the OP's age!

That's why I think.

And considering that it's a guessing game, I'm not sure why you were annoyed that they were guessing.

"The Macarana" was not that long ago. OK, it wasn't last year; it was during the presidential election when Clinton was running for re-election (I remember bcs of Al Gore's version, which was very funny).

I'll also say this: I don't think there *are* very many "of the moment" songs that fill up the dance floor.

(Why isn't "Old Time Rock 'n' Roll" on that list?)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 07:52:21 AM »
This may sound bizarre, but I've never seen anyone do the Chicken Dance.  I guess that means homework on YouTube.

The Hustle is from the late 70s and was the basis for Disco.  Not nuts about that song; I personally prefer "Disco Inferno."

Stopping to answer Toots:  We were down to 6 players and I think the game allows for 8.

So I guess I don't attend enough weddings to get what you guys are telling me.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 08:07:59 AM »
  I've heard a 16 year old sign The Macarena and the YMCA in the last 4 months.  They still sometimes play the Hustle at weddings , my cousin 12 years younger then me played it (and the Hustle was old when I was in grade school) and the other cousin and brother in law played  "Shout" , none of the HCs were born when it came out.

I can't give you list of songs but I know Glee has brought a lot of songs back.