Author Topic: S/O re Asking About Age  (Read 1655 times)

cross_patch

Re: S/O re Asking About Age
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 08:34:16 AM »
This may sound bizarre, but I've never seen anyone do the Chicken Dance.  I guess that means homework on YouTube.

The Hustle is from the late 70s and was the basis for Disco.  Not nuts about that song; I personally prefer "Disco Inferno."

Stopping to answer Toots:  We were down to 6 players and I think the game allows for 8.

So I guess I don't attend enough weddings to get what you guys are telling me.

Hmm, I still don't get what makes then insulting. I don't think they are wedding songs- I've inly been to two weddings, neither of which played any of those but I'm still familiar with them. They're called floor fillers for a reason- I think they've been played at every party I've been to where there's a dance floor!

gollymolly2

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 08:36:37 AM »
It seems like many of us are struggling to understand what exactly bothered you about their responses. Maybe it would help if you gave us examples of answers they could have given that would not have bothered you.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 08:41:57 AM »

Stopping to answer Toots:  We were down to 6 players and I think the game allows for 8.

I'm sorry--this isn't tracking for me. Maybe it's just too early in the a.m.
Which question is this answering, and how?

The "Old Time Rock 'n' Roll" question? That was a rhetorical question--but (joking comment here--not a real criticism in any way), someone could have left out one of the other songs to get that one in!

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 08:51:23 AM »
I'm really not seeing the reason for your annoyance. I'm in my early 30s and I can see my friends answering the question in the same way. Well, with perhaps the addition of "Electric Slide". When my brother-in-law got married a few years ago, both Macarena and YMCA were played at the wedding. Heck, my BIL and all of the groomsmen dressed up like Village People (my husband was the construction worker) and danced to YMCA.

Macarena is from the 90s. Bad is from the 80s. YMCA is from the 70s. None of those really imply someone is "old".

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »
Toots, it was the "Old Time Rock and Roll" question.

Just checked Youtube and I have seen the Chicken Dance, but didn't know what it was.

When my brother-in-law got married a few years ago, both Macarena and YMCA were played at the wedding. Heck, my BIL and all of the groomsmen dressed up like Village People (my husband was the construction worker) and danced to YMCA.

That sounds hilarious.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 09:01:54 AM »
The only ones I see missing are "The Electric Slide" and the "Cha Cha Slide".

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 09:10:07 AM »
Count me among the confused. Those songs do pack a floor and range a number of decades. I'm not really sure what's supposed to be the dig. Is it that they listed old songs, or that they listed new songs, or...??

If it's that they laughed, I imagine they were laughing at the memory of dancing to those songs and having fun, or laughing because some of those songs are considered "guilty pleasure" songs.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 09:14:03 AM »

I have also seen Cotton Eyed Joe as a group line dance at a lot of school events in the last few years.  That song originated over 100 years ago (the covers are more recent, though ;))

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 09:20:28 AM »
My neck of the woods, one of the offerings would very likely have been 'Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy'.  Of course, that only gets the women up on the dance floor...

;D

Add me to the chorus that I don't think they were being ageist.  I think those were genuine contributions, although 'Bad' would not have made my list.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 09:20:37 AM »

I have also seen Cotton Eyed Joe as a group line dance at a lot of school events in the last few years.  That song originated over 100 years ago (the covers are more recent, though ;))

There is also the "Cha Cha Slide" and "American Pie."
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:27:46 AM by Two Ravens »

Sakuko

• The black Kitten
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 09:33:19 AM »
I was under the impression that the whole point of Say Anything is to tease people with your answers. >:D

That said, I also don't see anything that spells passive aggression in any of the answers. I'm 30 and I'd call the Macarena from "my" time, and I'm certainly not old yet.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 10:15:49 AM »

These aren't wedding songs.  They were played at every college party I went to and practically any club I've been to after.  These are the songs that get people out on the dance floor along with a few others like Electric Slide - the tango isn't really going to get people out there.  We are just confused as to why you possibly thought this was a slam on your age.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 10:19:55 AM »

These aren't wedding songs.  They were played at every college party I went to and practically any club I've been to after.  These are the songs that get people out on the dance floor along with a few others like Electric Slide - the tango isn't really going to get people out there.  We are just confused as to why you possibly thought this was a slam on your age.

Yeah, we have a work gala every year. Full blown formal gala with evening gowns and fancy food. They play pretty much the same music you'd hear at clubs, weddings, and parties. The Chancellor of the university had originally wanted it to be classical music or music like Frank Sinatra, but the planning committee told him that hardly anyone would want to dance to that music even if we were all in tuxes and evening gowns.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 10:21:22 AM »
I don't understand how this could be interpreted as teasing you about your age. (For the record, I don't even know how old you are.)

I'm guessing they answered from their own experiences -- those are the songs that they've seen get people dancing. You don't have to have been alive when "YMCA" or the "Chicken Dance" came out to know how much people enjoy dancing to it.

They get played at weddings a lot because that's where you're likely to have the combination of a dance floor and a multigenerational crowd. But they aren't "wedding songs." They're dance-floor faves, is all.

(Personally I'd pick "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang.)
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 10:22:18 AM »
"The Twist" was from about 1962; I don't remember whether it was even used in National Lampoon's Animal House, which takes place during that year.  Of course, the movie came out in 1978 and people still think it's funny.

OK; now I have to watch it.