Author Topic: S/O missing the '80s: Things I miss about the '70s  (Read 3157 times)

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
Re: S/O missing the '80s: Things I miss about the '70s
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »
I had clackers!  They were red, a hard resin, and on string.

I heard years later than they had been updated to be safer (some sort of plastic, because I guess the hard resin ones could chip and fling those chips).  I saw the "updated" ones - they were on plastic "arms" rather than string.  Where's the challenge in that?!

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »
There was a toy, two balls on a string, that you clicked together.  I think it was called a Click Clack.

I had one of those.  I think I still have the bruises on my forearms from when I missed.   ;D

they were clackers, and they were metal balls.  Not a snowball chance in H*ll they could be sold today.

Mine weren't metal.  They couldn't have been glass so maybe they were hard plastic?  And yes, no way would they be sold today.

My brother and I had the lawn darts.  His favourite trick was to throw it as high in the air as he could and watch it come down, dodging out of the way at the last minute.  Considering I have two nephews, natural selection doesn't work so well in my family.  ;D

Was there another game to play with lawn darts?

Our clackers were glass like. 

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2014, 04:12:21 PM »
^ I think the click clacks were made out of a hard resin.

Karen

Yes.  Mine were a yellow-orange resin.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2014, 08:21:20 PM »
I remember yo-yos getting big in the early or mid seventies.  Duncan made the best, and they came in a lot of different forms.  My brother had a natural affinity for "yo-ing", as he called it, and saved his allowance for a deluxe Duncan model that was made of some special polymer, and looked like it had butterfly wings. 

That decade is also when my little brother and I got into pinball.  It has been years, but I bet I could still kick butt at that game.    ;)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Vall

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
I loved pinball!  And air hockey.

Tonight we were looking through our DVD's for something light and fun.  What we chose reminded me of this thread.  Smokey and the Bandit.  It was fun listening to the music and noticing the cars, clothes and hairstyles.  Sally Field was cute as a button.  In the movie, I noticed that a gas station had a sign for diesel for 47 cents a gallon.

Stricken_Halo

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2014, 04:43:33 PM »
The colorful dresses with the Op Art type patterns.
Some of the best ever Woody Allen movies, like "Sleeper" and "Annie Hall."
Other great movies like "Taxi Driver," the original "Rocky," and "All the President's Men."
Heck, even "Jaws." That was the beginning of the "summer blockbusters" trend, which means that just when I have loads of time to go to movies there won't be anything I want to see. But it's been pointed out that "Jaws" was pretty modest compared to later gorefests.
Frozen yogurt being a new treat.
The Dorothy Hamill haircut.
Aviator glasses.
The pop ballads that everyone makes fun of now, like "Billy Don't Be a Hero," "Seasons in the Sun," and too many others to name.
Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" album.
Speaking of Simon and Garfunkel, I'll always remember listening to their "Kodachrome" while studying for the last set of high school finals I would ever take.
Triple Crown-winning horses. There were three within the decade, and since then...zilch.
Muhammad Ali's comeback.
The Friday night lineup of comedy shows, including "The Odd Couple," "Sanford and Son," and "Love American Style."
"All in the Family" exploring hitherto uncharted topics on a sitcom.
"The wingadingdingy Cavett Show" at night, and "The Mike Douglas Show" in the afternoons.
Watching Lawrence Welk on Saturday night with my grandparents.

crella

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2014, 02:34:29 AM »
Anyone remember Toot-a-Loop radios? I had a white one, and I used to hang it on my bicycle handlebars.

I remember clackers! My parents wouldn't buy them, and they were banned for recess at elementary school. I was jealous of the kids that had them  :D

How about the Jingle-Jump? (or was that the 60s?)

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2014, 03:46:51 PM »
^ Omgosh! I had forgotten about those radios. Mine was white too. I'd love to have one now--

Hey, kids in the late 60s/early 70s: remember this?   http://www.amazon.com/Amloid-5301-Krazy-Kar-Ride-On/dp/B000641DTC

We use to have so much fun with this, and the Big Wheel. Does anyone remember the heavy rubber large ball that had a tight yellow plastic ring that was tight around the middle, and the object was to balance yourself on the plastic ring and bounce where ever you were (trying) to go?  ;D

"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

dawnfire

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »
we had a red one of those radios

songbird

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »
I remember yo-yos getting big in the early or mid seventies.  Duncan made the best, and they came in a lot of different forms.  My brother had a natural affinity for "yo-ing", as he called it, and saved his allowance for a deluxe Duncan model that was made of some special polymer, and looked like it had butterfly wings. 

That decade is also when my little brother and I got into pinball.  It has been years, but I bet I could still kick butt at that game.    ;)

I remember the yo-yo craze, I had a Duncan.

How about wishniks/trolls?

songbird

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2014, 12:02:39 PM »
Anyone remember Toot-a-Loop radios? I had a white one, and I used to hang it on my bicycle handlebars.

I remember clackers! My parents wouldn't buy them, and they were banned for recess at elementary school. I was jealous of the kids that had them  :D

How about the Jingle-Jump? (or was that the 60s?)

I had a red Toot-a-Loop, permanently set on the top 40 station in our area -- WABC.  New Yorkers here will remember that in the summer, when everyone was at the beach, Dan Ingram would tell his listeners "roll your bod."

Coralreef

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »
I had green clackers... and I was pretty good with them.  I also had a toy that had a hoop which was put around the ankle and a string with a ball attached to it.  You would twirl it at ground level and with your other foot jump over the rope.  Since I was almost an only child (siblings were MUCH older/married by then), it was a nice way to play by myself.

Also, in my area, pants went from straight/narrow legs to wide bell bottoms.  My mother sewed triangles into the straight jeans and pants to make them wider.  With contrasting colours. As if having glasses wasn't nerdy enough.  ::)

It was also the time of the Phentex knitting yarn.  For those who do not know, it was a yarn made of plastic fibers in bright and varied colours.  Mother knitted me a bathing suit with that.  I walked like a cowboy for a whole summer.

I hit puberty in the 70's.  I will not miss that part. 

[/right