Author Topic: Things that Should not be Included in a Wedding Invitation  (Read 2553 times)

lofty

• My blog and shops
Things that Should not be Included in a Wedding Invitation
« on: April 09, 2014, 12:40:08 PM »
Friends of ours are getting married this June; they're young, broke, and I say this with kindness, stupid. I do believe in the long run they will be fine, but in the meantime they're breaking etiquette rules like there's no tomorrow.

Received lovely save the date; no problem.

Received Facebook invite to their wedding event; huh? Double huh? as I knew she was making invitations; after all, I'm her tech support.  ::)

Invitation arrives! Open envelope, and what's right on top? Oh no, not registry information, that wasn't included, but this little gem was:

I think I'll make some beer bottle charms for DH and myself...after all, if I need to bring my own, I'm not sharing! They'll be hidden in an ice chest in my trunk...

DH put it best; there was simply no need for the card. If they had left it out we would have shown up, found some juice & soda, and been happy. This is just... :o
Coffee and paper make everything better, hence why my blog is www.CaffeinatedPapercuts.com

nuit93

Re: Things that Should not be Included in a Wedding Invitation
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 01:59:16 PM »
Wow...

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »
Eeeeep! 

gellchom

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 08:28:19 PM »
They didn't even put in the last period.  Maybe it's also "BYOP" (Bring Your Own Punctuation).

lofty

• My blog and shops
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 03:28:25 PM »
They didn't even put in the last period.  Maybe it's also "BYOP" (Bring Your Own Punctuation).
Obviously their ink is very precious, and the last period would have put them firmly over budget...  ::)
Coffee and paper make everything better, hence why my blog is www.CaffeinatedPapercuts.com

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 11:22:40 AM »
I've been to a BYOB wedding. It was an at-home wedding. I can't remember if it was on the invite or not.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »

:D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
Please keep us updated.  ;)

katycoo

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »
Look, its a little unsual, granted.  But this actually doesn't bother me that much.  But then, most private parties (of the less formal variety) are BYOB here.

lakey

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 10:44:46 PM »
I agree with lofty's DH. If you can't afford to supply alcohol, then don't serve alcohol. When you host a celebration, you supply the refreshments. Guests who know this couple should understand that they are tight for money and enjoy celebrating with them regardless of the refreshments.

I've been to some very nice wedding receptions held at people's homes where there was not a lot of alcohol provided.

purple

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 10:48:01 PM »
I agree with lofty's DH. If you can't afford to supply alcohol, then don't serve alcohol. When you host a celebration, you supply the refreshments. Guests who know this couple should understand that they are tight for money and enjoy celebrating with them regardless of the refreshments.

I've been to some very nice wedding receptions held at people's homes where there was not a lot of alcohol provided.

Exactly!

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 12:03:38 AM »

The only issue with this is that I've been to some dry weddings (no alcohol) that were either that way for religious reasons or to save money, and many guests either left early and hung out at the hotel bar or went to the parking lot and drank there in front of the establishment. Those guests were rude because you should be at a wedding to celebrate the union, not get drunk. But in all of those cases, it resulted in about 50% of the guests disappearing for most of the reception, or leaving early altogether.

Maybe this couple knows their family members are like that and they don't want them to leave right after the ceremony.

I still would have found this insert off-putting. I'm not defending it. But I think it might have been their happy-medium.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 11:19:43 PM »
Look, its a little unsual, granted.  But this actually doesn't bother me that much.  But then, most private parties (of the less formal variety) are BYOB here.

Wedding receptions are usually considered parties of the more formal variety in most areas.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."