Author Topic: Careers in dissection . . . UPDATE  (Read 1223 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Careers in dissection . . . UPDATE
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:04:51 PM »
Does anybody know the name for the career in human body dissection? It's not forensic or medical related. It's more for use with medical drawings, animations, videos, etc.

I'm asking because DD#1's dissection professor asked her if she ever thought of a career in ______ but she can't remember the name of the field. She said it's 3 words beginning with Bio something (maybe) . . . she won't see her professor again until next week.

I curious to find out more information about this career path. I've done some googling and can't really find anything related to this type of career.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:06:45 PM by jpcher »

MummySweet

Re: Careers in dissection . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 06:08:29 PM »
Biological Illustration?     

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:16:08 PM »
Thanks, but no. She'll be doing the dissection part not the actual illustrations.

Hillia

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
My DH was an autopsy assistant at a hospital.  That's the official title, but they are known informally as 'dieners'.  It's German for 'servant', probably a holdover from old university days.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

BigBadBetty

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 06:37:26 PM »
Biomedical communications? http://lhncbc.nlm.nih.gov/

veronaz

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 07:23:48 PM »
Beat for her to ask her professor to please repeat what he said, and DD write it down this time.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 06:48:39 PM »
You're absolutely right, veronaz, and I know she will.

I was just trying to look it up due to my own curiosity and hoped that maybe someone out there had the answer.

Thanks, anyway, everyone! ;D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »
Let us know! Now I am curious. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Margo

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 08:57:31 AM »
bio-medical research?

Or look up variations on pathology.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Careers in dissection . . . UPDATE
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 02:06:20 PM »
Let us know! Now I am curious. :-)

Answer: Biomedical Visualization.

So MummySweet had the correct answer, basically a medical illustrator.

The dissection part comes into play by actually seeing the nitty-gritty nerves and all first hand, then transferring this knowledge to visual art work.

DD#1 is really excited about this and has been asked and accepted the position of UTA (under-grad teacher's assistant) for the dissection class next semester.

She will then have to go to grad school for her masters (2 more years.) The fortunate thing is that the school she is currently attending is rated as a national leader for this type of science, so she won't have to relocate.

At the end of next fall's semester she will graduate with a BA degree in Kinesiology so she has the necessary requirements to get into the master program.

She doesn't have any official training in the arts field, but she is a good artist . . . it runs in the family. ;) . . . so I have no doubt that she will "get it." ;D

I am very happy for her that she finally found her passion.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Careers in dissection . . . UPDATE
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 03:22:07 PM »
Good for her, how fascinating! That's one of those jobs where I think "Man I could never, but I'm so glad others can!"

My cousin studied dance and massage so decided to take some type of anatomy course to better understand the body, specifically muscles. This involved donor bodies. She found it incredibly interesting and, unfortunately for the squeamish among us, could talk of nothing else for about a year. We mostly saw her at family dinners so yeah, not good. DH has had a few opportunities to view autopsies and surgeries. He thinks they're really neat but knows better than to share the details with me.  :P

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Careers in dissection . . . UPDATE
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 03:29:02 PM »
Cool field! Of course, I am getting a degree and experience in physical anthropology and bio-archaeology, so I have no squeamish nerves left in my body.

The veterinary program on Animal Planet that had a reindeer with a hernia? No way. I couldn't look at the screen.