Author Topic: When should you make a decision?  (Read 3152 times)

lakey

Re: When should you make a decision?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 05:45:32 PM »
I believe that if you have a large order, or something that will take a great deal of time, that it is courteous to let a person behind you go ahead. I usually have a cartful of groceries, so if there is a person behind me with a few things I let them go ahead.

There is a fast food sub shop where, for each sub you order, you tell them your choices for : the bread, the meat, the cheese, the veggies, and the dressings, as they make the sub. If you order 3 subs, you go through this 3 separate times. It's fine under normal circumstances. However, one day I went in and a mother and her teenage son walked through the door one step ahead of me. They were ordering about 20 subs, they each had a paper with a list on it. I couldn't believe that this woman was so clueless as to let me stand there while she and her went through the process of ordering 20 different, individually prepared subs. She wasn't required to let me go ahead, but any reasonably considerate person would have.

And I know that most fast food restaurants prefer you to phone ahead with a very large order because it can be disruptive to their normal service.

Yeah, I think it would have been considerate for the doughnut guy to speed it up a bit.

veronaz

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 05:59:21 PM »
And I know that most fast food restaurants prefer you to phone ahead with a very large order because it can be disruptive to their normal service.

I didn't know this.  Learn something every day, I guess.

sweetonsno

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 06:10:16 PM »
I tend to think that you should know what you are going to order before you try to place it. If you aren't sure about an ingredient or availability, have a Plan B in mind.

Of course, sometimes, it turns out that Plan B isn't available, either. If that happens, and there is a line, step aside while you figure things out.

mich3554

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »
I tend to think that you should know what you are going to order before you try to place it. If you aren't sure about an ingredient or availability, have a Plan B in mind.

Of course, sometimes, it turns out that Plan B isn't available, either. If that happens, and there is a line, step aside while you figure things out.

And while you step away and try to figure out Plan C, then that gets yanked from underneath you too by the next person in line. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 06:17:47 PM »
Sometimes stepping aside isn't an option. I've been to bakeries and ice cream shops where the line of people is right in front blocking the glass case and you don't know what they have until you take your place in front (which makes you the person blocking the back causing a vicious circle). Sure, maybe you have an idea you want chocolate ice cream, but when you actually see all the options for that day.....

Like a PP said, I wish all places have a menu board or paper menu.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 11:19:58 PM »

As a general rule, I think you should make your selections as efficiently as possible, to keep the line moving efficiently.

But when you're standing in line, you have to keep in mind that "as efficiently as possible" is not the same for everyone - they may not be familiar with the store and selection and options they have to decide on, they may have questions that they need to ask, the store may be out of what they wanted, so they need to choose something else. There can be language or hearing barriers or seeing barriers (I know it takes me much longer to order in Chinese than in English, and I have a friend with very poor eyesight who often can't see the menu board in the first place), or someone who just works slower than you do, even when they're doing their best.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2014, 02:28:57 AM »
The people standing in front of the display case situation does make it very hard to decide in advance what to order -maybe I haven't been there before and don't know what they have, maybe their selection and availability changes daily. I do find that a problem. But I still try to make up my mind quickly once I'm there.

Then there are the places, especially large chains, that *everybody* goes to all the time. Except you. And you get to the front of the line and they seem really put out that you don't automatically know what's on their menu or how their system works.

At any rate, I do think if there are people behind you, you should make some effort to be quick. Ask questions, fine, but to stand there dithering; "Oh, the lemon cake looks good....but wait, oh maybe I should have chocolate....hmmm, I don't know....." I start to feel impatient, like, pick one already!Spending a ton of time agonizing over whether to get the chocolate or the lemon is not going to make the decision easier or change the result. Oh and please don't try to involve your toddler in the decision-making process, ie "Do you want chocolate or do you want lemon? Oh Vanilla. Well they don't have vanilla, sweetie. I could get you a vanilla shake instead? Oh you don't want a shake? Well they don't have vanilla cake.....you could get a strawberry ice cream? Oh, you want chocolate...." Listening to some of these people trying to have a rational conversation with a 2-year-old while the line up builds behind them makes me batty.

Peppergirl

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2014, 06:01:48 AM »
If I'm having trouble deciding (whether it be DD or any other place), I step aside and let others go until I'm done dithering.  Doesn't really annoy me too much in the store, unless they're taking an incredibly long time.

That said, the only time it truly annoys me at DD is when I'm hitting the drive thru for a coffee and the person in front of me is ordering dozens of donuts and bagels and dithering over what assortment of each.  Park your damned car and go in!  >:(  There are just some orders that are too big and complicated for the drive thru, and dozens of donuts and bagels would be a perfect example. 

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2014, 08:53:27 AM »
I agree that when at all possible, you should know what you want before you get in line. Especially if the line is long. I know there are times when you can't see what is available until you get to the front, but do try to look for a sign or list.

My example is from a few years ago at Disney World. It was very hot, the hottest day we were there. I saw an ice cream cart. They had a large sign with the 4 different choices available. I made my children pick what they wanted, then Husband and children went to sit in the shade while I got in line. It was a long line, but it moved quickly until the family in front of me. No one had any idea what they wanted. Every family member had to be polled as to what they wanted. Some of the family had wandered off and had to be yelled at. And when their order was finally completely, they seemed astonished that they needed to pay. Two different large bag purses were searched to find money.

I just stood quietly to order my 3 strawberry and 1 banana, cash already in hand, but it was a very strong temptation to tell them to hurry it up.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2014, 12:04:26 PM »
I always try to be patient with the people in front of me, because someday *I'll* be that person in front, holding up the entire line, and I'd like to hope that the people behind me will be as patient as I'm being at that moment.
I try *not* to be inconsiderate, but we've all had our days, I'm sure.  I know I do.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:06:02 PM by LadyJaneinMD »

sweetonsno

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »

And while you step away and try to figure out Plan C, then that gets yanked from underneath you too by the next person in line.

Eh, if there's limited availability, I usually err on the side of taking what I may not be able to get later.

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 02:19:38 PM »
Donut shops are one place I am more patient and hope those in line behind me are the same.    ;D  Donuts are serious business, and it's important to make the proper selection. 

I am considerably less patient getting stuck in line at the convenience store behind the retirees playing lottery, when all I need to do is pay for my gas.  I don't show it, but it takes a lot of restraint for me not to roll my eyes or heave a passive-aggressive sigh.  Thank goodness for my raising and my ehell training.    ;)
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »

At any rate, I do think if there are people behind you, you should make some effort to be quick. Ask questions, fine, but to stand there dithering; "Oh, the lemon cake looks good....but wait, oh maybe I should have chocolate....hmmm, I don't know....." I start to feel impatient, like, pick one already!Spending a ton of time agonizing over whether to get the chocolate or the lemon is not going to make the decision easier or change the result. Oh and please don't try to involve your toddler in the decision-making process, ie "Do you want chocolate or do you want lemon? Oh Vanilla. Well they don't have vanilla, sweetie. I could get you a vanilla shake instead? Oh you don't want a shake? Well they don't have vanilla cake.....you could get a strawberry ice cream? Oh, you want chocolate...." Listening to some of these people trying to have a rational conversation with a 2-year-old while the line up builds behind them makes me batty.

Yes, this is kind of waht I was trying to convey. I get if you are unfamiliar with the menu, or options of what comes with things, or maybe have a question about something ON a sandwich, etc., that's fine. Most of the time, that doens't take long to resolve.

Its the one's who act like they're the ONLY one's in line, and therefore they can take their sweet time, or having your very indecisive toddler choose themselves makes me stabby.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 03:18:14 PM »
I think it best to make the decision before getting on line.

I was on a multiplex ticket line behind some teens who couldn't make a decision; my movie was going to start in less than ten minutes.  The woman behind me spoke up, saying "Our movie starts in 5 minutes, so can we go ahead?"  She was with an elderly woman in a wheelchair, which may have helped her case in getting these girls to step aside for us.