Author Topic: A neat alternative to a guest book!  (Read 1682 times)

Possum

A neat alternative to a guest book!
« on: April 11, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »
(There's so many wedding sub-forums I wasn't sure where to post this, but I think this was the most appropriate one.)

Someone on Reddit posted this, saying it was his sister's alternative to a guest book at her wedding.  What a neat, clever idea!  I love it, and if I ever have a guest book type of situation, I want to do this.  (With plenty of baby wipes on hand, of course.) 

In case the photo is too small to see inline (if you open it by itself, it's full sized), it's a sketch of the happy couple riding a bike through the air over a house.  The bride is holding the strings to a huge bouquet of Up-style balloons... which are actually the thumb or finger prints of the guests, in lovely colors of ink or watercolor, and many of the "balloons" have been signed by the guests with a fine tipped pen.  It's so neat!

lofty

• My blog and shops
Re: A neat alternative to a guest book!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:30:14 PM »
Pretty!

There are some other wonderful alternatives out there in the land of Pinterest, including one where the backdrop is a tree and guests add their thumbprints to it.
Coffee and paper make everything better, hence why my blog is www.CaffeinatedPapercuts.com

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:52:02 PM »
We did a Halloween wedding, and had the guests sign a large plastic pumpkin (the realistic type) & a short message.  Just over 3 years later, and it's still in good shape!

SingActDance

• You don't know me, but I'm famous.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 04:46:54 PM »
I know a couple who did this, but instead of ballons, the thumbprints were leaves. They had a large brown trunk with branches painted on the canvas, and all the inks were green/tan/orange/yellow colors. Very pretty.
Most people look at musical theatre and think "Why are those people singing and dancing in the street?" I'm sort of the opposite. I see a street full of people and think, "Why aren't they?"

Texas Mom

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 12:10:49 AM »
What a cute idea.

I went to a wedding last fall.  The "guest book" was a 2014 calendar.  The guests wrote their name on their birthday so the B & G could think of their guests on THEIR special day the following year.

luna_elvellon

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 08:13:15 AM »
Very cute!

One idea a college friend of mine did was have the guests sign a wedding quilt she or a family member had made. It was a pretty big hit with the guests, and it seemed a great way to have something to remember their loved ones by, especially considering they were planning to leave the country in the near future.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »
What a cute idea.

I went to a wedding last fall.  The "guest book" was a 2014 calendar.  The guests wrote their name on their birthday so the B & G could think of their guests on THEIR special day the following year.

Now *that* makes sense to me. My thought on all the guest books is, "really, will you want this around for years and years?" I guess I'm just lazy, or unsentimental.

But the guest book calendar is cool, bcs you can read it, transfer the info, and then keep in touch.

But, I'm lazy and  unsentimental, so I'd probably never actually send b'day cards, so it would just point out to people how lazy and unsentimental I am.

jmarvellous

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 12:10:21 PM »
We did the calendar--but we actually chose a year book/date book, so the dates aren't tied to a particular year, and it's a book, so it's still easy to set on a shelf.

Unfortunately, only about 10 guests bothered to sign it, but it's still a beautiful book full of seasonal watercolor illustrations, and we can add to it forever, if we choose--each date has 1/7 of a page.

gmatoy

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 09:39:37 PM »
Wow! I wish I had seen these ideas before my DD got married last year! Clever and I will try to remember them if I know anyone getting married!